what do you tow 10k lbs with?

rholbrook

Got home from SG an hour ago. Averaged 85 most of the way at least until Santaquin and the computer says 18.7 MPG. I made it from Kaysville and back on a tank of gas. I will fill it tomorrow and check the MPG

Houndoc

Wasn't going to chime in on this discussion, as much has already been said. But this morning I remember a close call I had a couple of years ago while towing my boat (only 6-7k). Was right after we upgraded from half-ton Yukon XL to diesel pickup. Evasive maneuver to avoid an accident required acceleration that would not have had with the half-ton.

With 10,000 pound load (which is about what I average with loaded horse trailer), you may get by most of the time with less than a diesel, but should extra power be needed in a hurry you may find yourself lacking and in potentially dangerous situations.

rustyjeep21

This is what happens when you tow with a tundra, the guy couldn't control the load and his boat flew off the trailer. All he could say to the cop was "it's not a half ton".

rholbrook

If that boat was pushing 30' I would believe it. Boat trailers generally have hydrolic pressure activated brakes. Be should service those annually and check them every time he hooks up

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I have one thing to add to this whole discussion. I read most of it and I hear a lot of people talking about towing 10k with a half ton truck and that they are rated to do so. I want to remind everyone that when a company rates a truck with towing a certain amount of weight that they are assuming that you will be towing that weight at 55 mph... That is the max speed in most of the states when towing a trailer. They are saying that the weight of the truck will tow and handle that amount of weight at that speed.. Not 85 mph!! They are also cutting most of you maintenance intervals in half if you are towing with it at all. I see tahoes all the time towing 28' plus trailers or big boats, I can guarantee those vehicles will not last under that amount of load on those axles and suspension parts. Also if you are going to tow at your max, be smart and buy the correct hitch/ball and a load equalizing setup... The last thing you want to do kill someone because you didn't want to spring for the correct towing setup! I see way to many rigs on the road with the ass down and the front end dang near unsprung with no weight on it!

Caleb

This is what happens when you tow with a tundra, the guy couldn't control the load and his boat flew off the trailer. All he could say to the cop was "it's not a half ton".

That has nothing to do with towing with a Tundra. That's a tiny boat, if he couldn't handle that with a Tundra then he should have never have been towing in the first place (with anything). I can assure you the same thing would have happened with him if he had been towing with a 1 Ton.

Also, as for the running gear on these 1/2T trucks. The axles are as large as most 3/4T-1T on the Tundra, the brakes are as large (or larger) too. The engine and tranny are both fine (more than enough for towing) so I'm not sure what you mean by nothing will last. Sure, it's harder on everything, but it has absolutely nothing to do with it being a 1/2T, the same extra wear would be placed on a 1T too. Also, in my manual, it says the ratings were at 65mph. As I said earlier, I would generally keep it around 65ish.

While we're on the Tundra Tangent:
Looks like the Tundra ring gear is 10.5". I'm impressed. I didn't really consider it a "true" 3/4 ton. I know it has big brakes and plenty of silky smooth power with the 5.7. How are the spring rates? I recall a friend who towed a jeep with a smaller 1/2ton-ish equivalent SUV that had plenty of power but soft springs, and found himself on 2 wheels during an evasive maneuver, something what would have likely been a non-event with a 1-ton.

The wheelbase is fairly short for 10k at 140", similar to the eXcursion at 137", which is also pretty short, but basically the same as a reg cab long bed. To tow what I tow with my X, I have rear bags, rear antisway and 1-ton front springs.

Waiting to hear back about the '06 SD's that OP is looking at.

Caleb

Looks like the Tundra ring gear is 10.5". I'm impressed. I didn't really consider it a "true" 3/4 ton. I know it has big brakes and plenty of silky smooth power with the 5.7. How are the spring rates? I recall a friend who towed a jeep with a smaller 1/2ton-ish equivalent SUV that had plenty of power but soft springs, and found himself on 2 wheels during an evasive maneuver, something what would have likely been a non-event with a 1-ton.

The wheelbase is fairly short for 10k at 140", similar to the eXcursion at 137", which is also pretty short, but basically the same as a reg cab long bed. To tow what I tow with my X, I have rear bags, rear antisway and 1-ton front springs.

The wheelbase is definitely the biggest drawback. The springs did fine, but I did have lift springs (I assume they were probably stiffer than stock) and airbags and never towed without a weight distro hitch (I think it was rated at 14K lbs, it was the biggest one Equalizer offers). It did great, but I've never siad or implied that it would out tow a 1-Ton, I never expected it to. I towed to a few campgrounds, all within 100 miles, and could never justify having a 1T (nor did I care for any of the fullsize trucks) for as little as I used my Tundra.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Was out of town the last couple of days. I have two to drive on Monday.

Speaking of pulling too much with too little. I saw a 4 door Tacoma pulling a 20+ foot trailer yesterday.

I also see people pulling big trailers with denali's/ tahoes. They will not last. They mostly have 10 bolt rear ends. I pulled my dads 8x16 haul mark empty with my old Denali and it wasn't pleasant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rustyjeep21

Forgot to mention that he was pulling a 26ft camp trailer (with equalizer hitch) between the 18.5 ft boat and truck. Sorry for the missleading error. He was around 70ft total, the weight was most likely less than the rating of the truck and he was driving 65 mph both trailer brakes worked fine. We've pulled quite a few half tons that were trying to be big trucks out of the ditch, where the OP said when he tows its often at the 10k mark i figured any half ton might not be safe even if its rated for it. Good news was all the guy got a ticket for was littering; for leaving his boat in the middle of the road.

Cascadia

Undecided

I towed about 10k a few weeks ago with my tundra. My truck stayed nearly level. I maybe lot an inch of height in the rear of the truck. Worlds of difference compared to my first gen tundra. I had bags on that and still seemed to sit lower than my '13.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Yesterday I picked up a 2006 f-350 CC long bed with a 6.0. I went over the motor with a fine tooth comb. Test drove it for a couple hours checking everything with my scan gauge. I think it will be a pretty good rig. If not I bought a bumper to bumper extended warranty for the first time in my life. I hope it covers anything that does break. I had the salesman highlight were it covers seals and gaskets and cooling system. Two main points of failure for 6.0's
Last night I pulled the trailer to Ephraim and it was wonderful. It handled better pulling my trailer than the excursion did with no trailer. It's long but that really makes it tow better. It's much better than even my cc short beds were. The computer said I was getting 13.9mpg.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Yesterday I picked up a 2006 f-350 CC long bed with a 6.0. I went over the motor with a fine tooth comb. Test drove it for a couple hours checking everything with my scan gauge. I think it will be a pretty good rig. If not I bought a bumper to bumper extended warranty for the first time in my life. I hope it covers anything that does break. I had the salesman highlight were it covers seals and gaskets and cooling system. Two main points of failure for 6.0's
Last night I pulled the trailer to Ephraim and it was wonderful. It handled better pulling my trailer than the excursion did with no trailer. It's long but that really makes it tow better. It's much better than even my cc short beds were. The computer said I was getting 13.9mpg.

Those are nice trucks. I hope the 6.0L holds up well for you. Pics or it didn't happen

Toad

Not trying to rain on your parade but be very cautious with a extended warranty. Most(not all) of them are horrible to deal with. Congrats on the new truck. 6.0 are getting cheap. With a few mods they can be hot rods.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Tested the Ecoboost this weekend. I towed the new trailer to Brigham city and back. Friday we left for Brigham city into a 20mph headwind towing a 26ft trailer that weighs in at 6555lbs empty, and I'd guess about 7200lbs with our crap, 8' wide, and over 11' high. I set cruise on 65, it settled in 6th gear at about 1600 rpm and dropped to 5th a few times at about 2000rpm. Fuel economy was 8.6 mpg via the dash computer. It's interesting to watch the boost run up and down instead of the RPM. Return trip, no wind, same weight, same speed, and got about 9.3mpg. I have no doubt this thing would run at 75 mph and I have no doubt this thing will haul the trailer to mirror lake (10,000+ ft pass) without slowing; just be ready to pay at the pump. This is with 3.55 gears and cheapo 85 octane gas. That said, my commute, unloaded with no highway is getting 17-18mpg and there are urban legends that the mpg goes up at about 5k miles.

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Not trying to rain on your parade but be very cautious with a extended warranty. Most(not all) of them are horrible to deal with. Congrats on the new truck. 6.0 are getting cheap. With a few mods they can be hot rods.

I have heard both good and bad about the warranty. I kind of negotiated it into the cost of the vehicle so it should be worth what I paid for it either way:) I'm really going to be pleasantly surprised if they pay for any repairs.

Here she is.

truck.jpg

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Good lookin truck!

i wouldnt be running that ecoboost on 85 octane. asking for trouble and your mileage will increase with a full burn from higher octane fuel.