what do you tow 10k lbs with?

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
My overhead always told me about 18-22 mpg (2004 truck) but my wallet always told me about 14-18 mpg (very RPM/aerodynamic dependant-similar to other deezels). Towing was about 12-14. Nothing to sneeze at as it's better than the PowerStroke it replaced, but I sure paid for the Dodge the Cummins was wrapped in. My Cummins was pretty stock with 285 tires and an Edge EZ. For my $, I'll stick to the F*rd as it's just an overall better truck. People love their Cummins. I'm not one that can put up with the truck it's wrapped up in.

A few things I have found with diesel trucks. Fords get crappy mileage and the owners will rarely lie about it. Dodges get better mileage and you will find at least one guy getting 20+ pulling 14K lbs in every dodge crowd. Chevy's also do pretty well and will be inflated bysome owners to the 20mpg mark. I have found Fuelly.com to be a great source of actual data. True you could skew it if you wanted but it would take more effort than most people making false claims are willing to put in.

I am really torn over buying another Ford 6.0. I know they have issues but they are so cheap!!! I am going to look at a couple Dmax's today. We'll see if I fall in love. I really like the Ford truck more but the engine is holding me back. I am starting to think you can buy an 05/06 F250 with a 6.0 and just put $5k into it for head studs, new EGR and Oil cooler and still be money ahead of the Dmax. That might be the direction I go. I really hate buying trucks. I just want to go drop $50k and get a new PDS. They are awesome!!!

blznnp

My main reason for having the ford was the size of the cab an seating space, similar to what glockman is looking for. I needed enough room for 3 car seats in the back an enough room for adults in the back which the dodges in my price didn't have, an when I was looking at the mega cab, I couldn't find one for the price and mileage and that I wanted. My computer says 26-29mpg on the freeway unloaded since I did the tuner an dpf delete, but the best I have seen mixed was high mid 13, with the computer saying 19mpg. Then again with the new power from the tuner, I am not easy on the gas pedal. i will be heading down near Moab in a couple weeks with the bed loaded up an truck full for passengers so I can see how well it does. There are people who claim 22mpg or more with my year f350, but that's also after putting $5k into it.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I sold my $ truck, bought a 4 door Wrangler and bought an uber-cheap older truck. Pretty happy with that decision so far. Took some adjustment time but I'm pretty happy with how it's sorted out.

The older truck has similar risks (turbo, injectors, injector pumps, etc.) as an 100-150k mile without the entry price. I really wasn't looking for another diesel and was trying to snag an older GM gasser with Vortec 454 or 8.1L or Ford V10 or 460. I would hope if one of those devices fails and I invest in it, I'd have a decent expectation of return on investment. That was NOT the case with my 2004 unless I kept it at least 10 extra years.

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
My main reason for having the ford was the size of the cab an seating space, similar to what glockman is looking for. I needed enough room for 3 car seats in the back an enough room for adults in the back which the dodges in my price didn't have, an when I was looking at the mega cab, I couldn't find one for the price and mileage and that I wanted. My computer says 26-29mpg on the freeway unloaded since I did the tuner an dpf delete, but the best I have seen mixed was high mid 13, with the computer saying 19mpg. Then again with the new power from the tuner, I am not easy on the gas pedal. i will be heading down near Moab in a couple weeks with the bed loaded up an truck full for passengers so I can see how well it does. There are people who claim 22mpg or more with my year f350, but that's also after putting $5k into it.

Your ford computer reads 19mpg on average? I have hand checked 4 of the superduty's I have owned and they have always been within 1mpg of actual mileage.

blznnp

Your ford computer reads 19mpg on average? I have hand checked 4 of the superduty's I have owned and they have always been within 1mpg of actual mileage.
before adding the tuner and dpf delete, it was accurate always. After the dpf delete and tuner, it reads way high. As far as I know, thats what happens to everyone, at least with the spartan tuner

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I've looked at that add several times. While 2wd would suffice 99% of the time, I have been caught in storms that would have been a bad deal with 2wd. I have also had to engage the front axle to pull the trailer out of the leveling holes on occasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I've looked at that add several times. While 2wd would suffice 99% of the time, I have been caught in storms that would have been a bad deal with 2wd. I have also had to engage the front axle to pull the trailer out of the leveling holes on occasion.

Good choice, IMHO

before adding the tuner and dpf delete, it was accurate always. After the dpf delete and tuner, it reads way high. As far as I know, thats what happens to everyone, at least with the spartan tuner

Yup, both are consistent with my experience. In stock mode mine is dead accurate, in warp mode it lies.

Anything wrong with a '99-'03 SDCC with 7.3? Not as much power as 6.0 but more reliable. You are looking at V10 versions of same truck, right? After spending $$ on my tranny in my '02, it's been great. 6.0's just scare me, but I guess if you budget for the needed "corrections" then it's the same as what I did, knowing that I'd be replacing a transmission at some point and just planned for it. Or just find a sweet '99 with the V10 and 4.30 gears and be done. If I didn't still utilize my X (see below) I'd have a JKU and said older V10 SDCC. And if I wasn't gonna tow two jeeps at a time, maybe an F150supercrew, but not if I already had a JKU for DD.

Not sure I'd tow a true 10,000lb trailer with anything less than 3/4-1ton. I'd probably go with a SuperDuty, but all three are decent. SD owners are typically happy, unless they are dropping $8k on their 6.0. Folks with Dudges are happy with the Cummins and mixed on the rest. Dmax's seem to have happy owners too. I think the Tundra is nice but I guess I'm still suspicious about towing with a 1/2ton and smallish axle. I'm impressed with the F150 supercrew (which basically has a 3/4ton rear axle) and would probably tow up to it's max, knowing that the engine is gonna require high rpms to do anything. And knowing the transmission won't last much past 100-150k miles. But the rest of the time, as a DD, pure delight. And that's with the 5.4.

I'm in a similar situation as you with the Excursion (only gets driven on adventures), but having an F150 supercrew that I drive for work to compare it to, I like having the Excursion's 8 seats for adventures. While there are times when the truck is better, many of those times it has more to do with the ride than the configuration, and an SDCC wouldn't help with that.

Had I not had the work truck for the last few years, I might have sold the X by now thinking I'd like a CC truck more. That would have been a mistake for me. The X is paid for, and does what I need, and fits kids and their friends, cousins, Grandparents, etc. The kids are growing up, but I seem to fill the seats as often as I ever have, for adventures anyway. Plus, my son has a jeep and I ordered a 26' trailer to haul both of them on (his jeep and my jeep). Last weekend we did a 2-jeep trip using a rented trailer, the week before that we had 8 butts in the seats heading for some whitewater rafting action. Next week is a road trip to SoCal and the kids want to stretch out in the 3rd row with the 2nd row laid down.

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I would absolutely buy a 99-03 with the 7.3 but they are really hard to find an when you do find them people think they have the only one left on the planet. There is an 03 for sale in Orem with 130K miles on it. He is asking $2,500 over high book which puts it way over what I can get an 04/05 with 100k on it for. I have really liked my Ex but I haven't filled every belt in it this year. My oldest turns 17 this month and either wants to hang out elsewhere or drives himself and usually his next youngest brother. I was planning on a truck next year but if I keep the Excursion till then it will need some repairs and that's more than I want to spend to just sell it next year.

I'm pretty sure my mind is made up. The Dmax I drove today was nice but not $8K nicer than a Super Duty. I am on the lookout for a super clean 6.0 that checks out after I verify injectors, egr cooler, oil cooler, head gaskets, FICM and turbo condition. If I can pick this unicorn up for a few thousand under book, I will just plan on bulletproofing it with the money I saved on the purchase price. I am also on the lookout for a clean V10 CC with lower miles. Whichever I find first in the condition I want I will buy. No real preference to one of the other. I think they both have pro's and con's they equal out in the end.

Sounds like a good plan. Kind of like my blazer. Simple problems that scare most folks but that I knew how to deal with and I ended up getting a great deal.

A couple of guys at work have had 6.0's with no issues and a couple have had all the usual problems.

When they run they pull like crazy with decent mpg. I'd love an '05 if I could feel good about it's reliability. That's a sweet truck. Better looking than the newer ones too.

blznnp

I think I would have gotten a 6.0 if I could have gotten one with the issues taken care of, I just didn't feel like buying it and then having it sit in the shop for a while and dumping money into it. But like Maverick said, they pull great. My brothers old work truck was a 6.0, hauling mini excavator, skid steer's, dump trailers, he loved that truck. I don't think he ever had problems with it. My other brother has a 6.0 for his personal truck, he had the problems fixed before he took it off the lot, he loves his truck to.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I've done EGR coolers and oil coolers on two of mine. They aren't too bad. It takes a good long Saturday in the garage. If I just figure the cost into the purchase it isn't a big deal. It's when you are surprised with a $2k repair that sucks. Everyone seems to be scared of them and the price reflects that. They are really cheap.
I have made a checklist of items to check including big ticket maint like tires and batteries. That way I hope to be less impulsive and actually analyze the best truck and total cost. I usually get excited about one truck and overlook things.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I'm nowhere near your 10k requirement, but I pick up my 6400lb dry weight camper on Saturday. I'm guessing an extra 1500 lbs of stuff or more (80 gal fresh water tank gets 740# of that ). I'm just itching to see how the new ecoboost does with it. From what I've heard from members of this forum, it will drag it all over creation, just be ready to pay at the pump.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Eric I'm jealous. I want an ecoboost sooooo bad. Post back with how it pulls after you have some miles with the trailer behind it.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
For once in my life, I timed it right on a vehicle purchase.
Ford had a bunch of incentives that expired June 3rd.
I went through Costco car buying service so the starting price was $500 under invoice, then added another discount of $4700 for the incentive packages.
After the Wendover to St. George trip with DAA, I had the Jeep detailed inside and out. It was ready to show so they gave me top dollar for the trade-in if I made the deal in time for LHM Jeep to get it into their tent sale over memorial day. I would bet they just flipped it quickly for not a ton of profit and counted the cash flow.
I could have gone for $2000 less with the 5l v8 (option cost and incentives), but fell in love with the low end torque of the tt V6. I will say, if you are a macho kind of guy that needs the growl of the V8, this is not your truck. This thing makes silent power (at least to me since my hearing is shot so I can't hear the turbos).
I had a loaner while they installed the bedliner and other stuff and requested the 5l. I had forgotten about it until I pulled out of the dealership and onto the highway when my first thought was "what's wrong with this truck". Don't get me wrong, the 5l is a strong engine but to get the same acceleration I had to downshift at least one, maybe two gears. The Ecoboost engine erases hills.

Last edited:

rholbrook

I drove to St George tonight empty doing an average of 78. Computer says 18.3 MPG and I have more than 1/2 tank left. I will check the mileage when I fill up again. I love my Eco-boost.

I will be coming home either Thursday night it Friday if anyone needs something brought north

jentzschman

I drove to St George tonight empty doing an average of 78. Computer says 18.3 MPG and I have more than 1/2 tank left. I will check the mileage when I fill up again. I love my Eco-boost.

I will be coming home either Thursday night it Friday if anyone needs something brought north

That is awesome!

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2