What vehicle should I get next?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
What about when it comes time to go wheeling? I have looked into them but wonder if it would be too big when it gets on the trail? How is the low range?

I can't say from experience, but I don't think size would be the limiting factor. As long as you realize the limitations of the IFS, stay with a tire in the 33" range and realize that the break-over may hold you back.

It's hard to find the ideal 4x4, isn't it? I have the same problem, only I want a trail-capable midsize truck with a turbo diesel. I think the solution I came up with was a 4 door Dakota with solid axles and a Isuzu diesel. Unfortunately I don't have the money or time to commit to such a project.

Cascadia

Undecided
I don't have the time or money either. If I got a new style I would want a long bed because it has that option. If I got an 01-04 I would have extra money to build it somewhat. If I got a new style I would just have to drive and wheel it as is.

Greg

Admin
I know where there's a 4 door Tacoma, 4WD, TRD, shell... higher miles at 175k, but the price is right. It doesn't look bad, $9k/obo. Somewhat local to me.

Cascadia

Undecided
I went and drove a 2006 long bed tonight, I loved it! The motor is awesome and it drives great, shifts really smooth too. This truck had a 4 or 6 inch procomp lift and it had a really aggressive stance. The only downfall is I see it being kind of hard to wheel due to the hood being larger, especially on the corners just above the headlights. I think I'll go drive an 01-04 tomorrow to see how they compare and if some concessions need to or should be made.

Cascadia

Undecided
I think I'm mainly looking for a 2001-2004. I will go drive one tomorrow to decide for sure. The 06 I drove tonight was an offroad version and it didn't have a selectable locker at all like I thought it would.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Remind me your budget?

My 04' DC TRD super-charged Tacoma will be for sale towards the end of this month. Not sure if our budgets are in a similar realm and to be honest until I post it up for sale (end of month) I'm not sure where I'll land dollar wise either. Its pretty negotiable because as you offer lower I start pulling things off :D As it stands now it has $10k+ worth of upgrades and just 120k

Cascadia

Undecided
Kurt, can you pm me details of your truck and how much you might ask for it. I'd like to keep it under $20k but if it's for an 01-04 I'd like to keep it to less than that.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I need to sit down and put pen to paper at the end of the month. I'm expecting it to be in the $15-18k range depending on what I sell it with. Its literally loaded, RTT, SC, dual bats, air compressor, GPS, nav, ham, cb, skids, sliders, bumpers, winch, locker, edge diagnostics, dvd, sat radio, etc. I'm taking it on a trip to the Baja 1000 in Mexico in a couple of weeks, I'll get home, clean it up and post it for sale at that time. Its been used off-road and used hard but I'm religious about maintenance and upgrades. I've got meticulous service records, etc. No reason this truck couldn't drive around the world tomorrow :D

Cascadia

Undecided
Well I decided on what I wanted, test drove it, and handed over a big stack of Benjamin. It's an 03 Tacoma double cab, trd, black, small lift and 285 70 17s bfg at's..........with supercharger. I love it! Pics to come tomorrow.

Greg

Admin
Well I decided on what I wanted, test drove it, and handed over a big stack of Benjamin. It's an 03 Tacoma double cab, trd, black, small lift and 285 70 17s bfg at's..........with supercharger. I love it! Pics to come tomorrow.

:cool: Congrats, sounds like it'll fit your needs... for now. :D

Cascadia

Undecided
Thanks Greg. I actually think it fits my needs better than any of my previous vehicles. I'm very happy with it. I even pinky swore with my wife that I'd keep it for at least a year. :D

Caleb

To date, my favorite vehicle I've had (and I've had a ton) has been my 03 double cab Tacoma and I would still have it if I didn't need to tow my camp trailer. Their one downside is they aren't that great at towing. By that I mean, plan to loose serious gas mileage even with a small (real small) trailer behind it. I would loose 2-3 mpg with my 3 spot open motorcycle trailer with one bike on it. I would loose 5-6 mpg easily with anything larger (10x10 empty flatbed trailer on my way to Colorado I got 8-9 mpg tops). My truck was almost exactly what you just described but without a supercharger and I had 4.56 gears. Like I said though, I loved that truck.

Cascadia

Undecided
That'll beat my 11.5 mpg average any day in my Tundra. At least I'll be getting a lot better mileage when I'm not towing. I don't need to tow my own camp trailer yet and I don't pull my trailer everyday.