What vehicle should I get next?

Cascadia

Undecided
So I sold my 4 door tundra a couple months ago. I used it for work and to pull my trailers. I haven't had a rig for a few months so I didn't need a full size truck anymore to pull a crawler. My wife has an 06 VW Touareg with plenty power and gas guzzling capabilities so I got a 05 Subaru Wrx wagon. I've loved it and it's a lot of fun. But like a lot of you know I go through rigs fast. Regular vehicles are no exception.

A couple days after I bought it I was pulling in the garage with my mountain bike on top but forgot the bike was on. Needless to say it snapped the stock crossbars and put a nice $1400 dent in the roof. I've convinced myself that because of the dent I don't want the car anymore. I have a guy coming to buy it tonight.

So now I'm looking for my next car, truck, suv, etc. I drive around town and look on ksl but don't ser anything I'm in love with. Basically it needs 4 doors, has to be under $20k, and have some sort of coolness factor to it. Whether it is a fast car, a great stock wheeler, or amazing in all weather conditions. I just need some input on cars that I don't know. Gas mileage is a plus but not a necessity.

I've had about every jeep, 4 audi's, Subaru, Tundra, and a few other Toyota trucks. What else is out there that fits the bill.

Cascadia

Undecided
The wife and I are looking at a 1st gen Mazda 3 hatches. My neighboor down the street has a Mazdaspeed one and I love it.
I'll have to look in to those. I hadn't thought about those yet. On my mission we had a 4 door mazda 3 and they seemed pretty nice. It wasn't a speed though. I hear they're pretty quick.

Taco4life

The wife and I are looking at a 1st gen Mazda 3 hatches. My neighboor down the street has a Mazdaspeed one and I love it.

I am looking for something similar, I narrowed my searches down to the Mazda 3 hatchbacks and the Subaru WRX like the one you are selling. You can find the Mazda 3's fairly cheap compared to the Subaru's, they have a good drivetrain on them. But all of my dealer friends mentioned that everytime they picked one up it had something quirky with it. A common one is the power windows would stop rolling up in one of the doors. Or little things on the dash would be missing. They all told me to choose a WRX over the Mazda 3. However my uncle has a Mazda Speed, and I would pick one of those up in a heartbeat. They are a blast to drive, really sporty and rare.

One of my criteria is that I want a hatchback for biking. Do you care if it's a sedan or a hatchback?

2INSANE

No thanks on the Blazer Club. I need 4 doors and I want it to be family friendlyish. We have a baby due in January and he'll be in my car half the time so I'd like it to be a nicer ride. Would I be member #2 in the club?:rofl:

There's thousands of blazer owners. Ever go to CK5.com? You could go with a suburban? 4 door, comfortable, lots of space for cargo and the family?

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
We have a 2005 Mazda 3 with only 40k on it, it just has the 2.0 and is gutless up steep hills with the A/C on, but is otherwise a great car. A newer Golf or Jetta 2.0 Tdi is a great car with plenty of power, plus they sip the fuel.

Cascadia

Undecided
One of my criteria is that I want a hatchback for biking. Do you care if it's a sedan or a hatchback?

Nope, don't care. My wrx I'm selling is a wagon and it's been awesome. We bike a lot too so it's nice that the wagons come with factory rails and crossbars. A sedan would still work though.

Taco4life

Nope, don't care. My wrx I'm selling is a wagon and it's been awesome. We bike a lot too so it's nice that the wagons come with factory rails and crossbars. A sedan would still work though.

Another one to throw in the mix is the Jetta TDI. I have had my eye on those for a while but I don't fit well in them. They are built for shorter people... I am 6'2" and found that I had more blind spots then I wanted. But they are surprisingly fun to drive and get killer gas mileage.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Seems like you enjoy some of the finer automobiles out there and there's nothing wrong with that. :greg: Some of the vehicles that cost $40-50k new are several years old and the prices have dropped to where the Average Joe can afford something that was once out of reach.

You know what I'm a huge fan of? Mercedes Benz vehicles... after working on a friends wrecked Benz, I really became a fan of the engineering that goes into the brand. They are well thought out and the thinking that was put into the vehicles shows when you need to work on them. On top of that, after putting 100k miles on my VW Jetta (243k miles so far) with hardly any problems, I'm a pretty big fan of German quality.

First thing I would do is make sure that what ever you buy, you're getting a great deal.... so when you sell it in a year, you don't loose any money. :D

You didn't specify what you're really looking for, so I'll toss a few choices out there in your price range.

Awesome family wagon - http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2657176791.html

Fast family car - http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2663137847.html

Up your budget by $8k and get a G-Wagen!! - http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2651655181.html :greg:

Regular ole' SUV - http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2614321426.html

Personally, I want a loaded 4 door Mercedes sedan with a turbo diesel.... :greg:

There's lots more out there... If I had your money, I'd be looking at any of the above. ;)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Another one to throw in the mix is the Jetta TDI. I have had my eye on those for a while but I don't fit well in them. They are built for shorter people... I am 6'2" and found that I had more blind spots then I wanted. But they are surprisingly fun to drive and get killer gas mileage.

You'd be surprised at the fit, I'm 6' 4" and don't feel cramped in my Jetta at all. Seat down all the way and back a bit and I'm good. I do agree with the TDI comments, really fun to drive and killer mileage. Turn the engine up, still get 40+ MPG and have a pretty quick little car. I love driving my TDI in the mountains, turbo diesel torque rocks.

Cascadia

Undecided
Thanks for your thoughts Greg. I hadn't thought of any of those. I do love the G Wagon. Only problem is my wife's Touareg is almost the same thing. I've never tried out Mercedes, although I wouldn't mind trying one. I have always loved the AWD in our Audi's and now with the Subaru too. I was in Idaho this last weekend and I had a lot of fun on their winding gravel roads. I always felt in control. I'll have to check out the TDI's also.

Where do you get your info from saying when I sell it in a year?! There is no way I will have it nearly that long.:ugh: I wish I could hold on to a car that long but I think there's something wrong with me. The Subaru is one of my favorites so far out of my 20 or so cars and I only had it for less than 2 months. I sold it a couple hours ago. :(

Cascadia

Undecided
No thanks on the KJ, I know you claim it's "Gangsta" a lot but I think it's anything but. I'm just not a Liberty fan. I said earlier that I've owned most Jeeps, but that and the compass, and patriot are Jeeps I don't want to own.