Who to boycott

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
These boycott requests come around it seems once a year. After talking with most companies, they don't even understand what they are signing. Usually these petitions are presented to these companies in a way that they only see what they want to see and not the impact that they would be abandoning a good part of their customers. A better approach is to take this list of companies and educate them to the decisions they have made concerning this.

EDIT: The Camp Chef response is exactly what I'm saying.

Which is why it is important for people to write and express their concern. :)

Caleb

Which is why it is important for people to write and express their concern. :)

I agree, but the title of this thread is, Who to boycott (note, no question mark so it's not a question but a statement) and then the first post basically says here's a list of companies that you should boycott. That's the wrong approach.

sixstringsteve

I would like to be on any list disputing this also,

this hole thing is confusing.. I don't know how to do my part.
Do I send emails to all those company's?
Email some political douch bag that hardly cares?
will there be a national vote or something?

Here's how to do your part.

Step 1: understand the issue (I'm still working on this one). How does the proposed law help or hurt us?
Step 2: Write a polite, well-written email to all the companies that signed the form, expressing your concern and educating them about what they're actually supporting (just like Veyecteaoare has done)
Step 3: Write a letter to your congressmen and Senators, but be sure you don't call them political douche bags in your letter. Not all politicians are bad. They're here to help our voice be heard. Voice your opinion to them, these are not new issues to them, and they need to hear that we still care.

No, there will not be a national vote. The president has the power to come in and sign a paper stating the area is now officially a "national monument." No votes required. However, if you email these companies, maybe they'll get educated and realize what they're agreeing to by signing that petition. It looks like Camp Chef is learning just what they signed up for. Hopefully they reverse their involvement. I think a lot of those companies would take a second thought about signing that paper if they understood the implications of what they suggest.

iceaxe

Backroad Adventurer
What are the consequences/rules of making it a "national monument?" Does that mean you have to pay to enter? Does that mean trails are closed? I'd like to see that spelled out somewhere so I can email these companies and let them know what they're signing up for.

I'll repeat myself.

A good set of questions to ask, I'd like to know specifics too.
Look at history's most recent example.
The GSENM
entrance fee? no,
camping fee? no, (open camp in pre existing camp sites, use existing fire pits etc, overnight use closed in certain areas IIRC)
camping permit? yes - required (they are keeping track of usage and want to know, but don't charge for them as of yet)
Trails closed? yes! Some of my favorites! (both good roads & historically used wide sandy wash routes, some "administrative" and some flat out closed, though implementation was held off for several years, and some might yet be saved by the courts)

Knowing the details and boundaries of the proposal would be very helpful in formulating an opinion about it. I would love to include specific experiences at places personally visited within the boundaries (and how that will or might change negatively with a Monument) in a letter to any of these companies.

But if one company already doesn't know they are on this list it sounds like the same old trick suwa-ites always pull like last time a call for a boycott went out? And we should let them know asap, so we can see who is really knowingly on the list. Or maybe they donated to some cause without knowing it or for some other reason and are "on the list" by association?

I'm with Stratton & Keith though, BURTON! & CAMELBAK! I was just reviewing my wish list for a pending big Burton purchase yesterday.

sixstringsteve

I wonder if the outdoor alliance wrote the letter and attached the names of the companies that are part of the outdoor alliance.

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
Here's how to do your part.

Step 1: understand the issue (I'm still working on this one). How does the proposed law help or hurt us?
Step 2: Write a polite, well-written email to all the companies that signed the form, expressing your concern and educating them about what they're actually supporting (just like Veyecteaoare has done)
Step 3: Write a letter to your congressmen and Senators, but be sure you don't call them political douche bags in your letter. Not all politicians are bad. They're here to help our voice be heard. Voice your opinion to them, these are not new issues to them, and they need to hear that we still care.

No, there will not be a national vote. The president has the power to come in and sign a paper stating the area is now officially a "national monument." No votes required. However, if you email these companies, maybe they'll get educated and realize what they're agreeing to by signing that petition. It looks like Camp Chef is learning just what they signed up for. Hopefully they reverse their involvement. I think a lot of those companies would take a second thought about signing that paper if they understood the implications of what they suggest.

Im having the hard time with #1 lol thanks and will do Steve!

SpeedyVic

I wonder if the outdoor alliance wrote the letter and attached the names of the companies that are part of the outdoor alliance.

This would be my guess. A lot of the companies on the list may not really care, but I can see how Camp Chef should be concerned about this. No one is going to be back packing a sportsgrill in the back country. I would be willing to wager that the majority of Camp Chef customers are driving to their camp in some sort of 4x4.

Anyways, here's my follow up email to Mr. Sparrow:

Mr. Sparrow,

Thank you for your response and the clarification of your position on this issue.

Just to eliminate any confusion, I would like to provide the link to the story as reported by the Salt Lake Tribune:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55270711-78/monument-national-utah-canyonlands.html.csp

I am also attaching a copy of the letter with your companies endorsement at the end. This letter is also linked within the Tribune article.

From your reply to my previous email, I get the impression that a mistake was made and that the position of Camp Chef, in regards to the monument proposal, is not what the letter leads the reader to believe. I urge you to take swift action due to the fact that this issue has made its way to many off-road oriented websites and discussion forums.

If you would like to talk further, I would be happy to talk to you over the phone about it.

Again, thank you very much for your reply.

Respectfully,

Victor Baugh

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

SpeedyVic

Im having the hard time with #1 lol thanks and will do Steve!

Read the last paragraph of the letter to Obama. It specifically states "Federal land use plans...fail to address exploding off-road vehicle use..." so I would have to take that as a clear message that they want to strictly limit or eliminate the use of the area by any off-road vehicle.

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

a lot of the fisherman, paddlers, and bikers need these dirt roads to access their favorite spots. I'm sure a lot of them would be concerned about losing assess to the roads to their favorite fishing holes or rock climbing spots. We may be surprised to hear that more companies respond like Camp Chef did.

iceaxe

Backroad Adventurer
Read the last paragraph of the letter to Obama. It specifically states "Federal land use plans...fail to address exploding off-road vehicle use..." so I would have to take that as a clear message that they want to strictly limit or eliminate the use of the area by any off-road vehicle.

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk

Yes that paragraph is a lie (I've seen enough of the closed spurs, closed roads, and WSA boundaries to know without doubt it is not a true statement, never mind the travel management plans on file,) the same lie with the same wording every effort the alliance of wilderness has penned. I'm an unhappy customer x ten after reviewing all the companies on the list. sheesh.

sixstringsteve

My response from senator hatch. Yes, it's an automated email, but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside either way.

Thank you contacting me. I appreciate the time you took to express your views on the important issues facing our nation. It is important to me to hear your thoughts, so I can better represent you in the United States Senate. I will keep your thoughts in mind as my colleagues and I debate crucial economic, domestic, and foreign policy issues.
As you might expect, I receive a large volume of correspondence. I want to assure you that I will respond to your specific concerns as quickly as possible.
Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts on the critical issues facing our nation. Your comments are very important to me.
Sincerely,
Orrin G. Hatch
United States Senator

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
My response from senator hatch. Yes, it's an automated email, but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside either way.

Thank you contacting me. I appreciate the time you took to express your views on the important issues facing our nation. It is important to me to hear your thoughts, so I can better represent you in the United States Senate. I will keep your thoughts in mind as my colleagues and I debate crucial economic, domestic, and foreign policy issues.
As you might expect, I receive a large volume of correspondence. I want to assure you that I will respond to your specific concerns as quickly as possible.
Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts on the critical issues facing our nation. Your comments are very important to me.
Sincerely,
Orrin G. Hatch
United States Senator

Hey I use to write letters like this.... :D

sixstringsteve

Maybe senator Lee needs to hire you back so you can reply for him. :D I still haven't got a response from his office, though I do know he is very on the ball with these issues and I'm not too worried.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Maybe senator Lee needs to hire you back so you can reply for him. :D I still haven't got a response from his office, though I do know he is very on the ball with these issues and I'm not too worried.

He should reply within 7 days, unless you have written to him in the last 2 months then it sends it to a different folder that takes him longer to write back.

ksquared

Bridgebuilder
I agree, but the title of this thread is, Who to boycott (note, no question mark so it's not a question but a statement) and then the first post basically says here's a list of companies that you should boycott. That's the wrong approach.
Your right Caleb, the intent of the title was to attract attention to the thread. Mission accomplished! The companies listed were solicited by the Alliance for support and in some cases may be misrepresented. The dissemination of this information to our forum has promoted awareness and encourages action. The letters generated in this thread are proof that the "responsible users" in our motorized offroad community are capable of reminding those very companies that their support of such closures or restrictions can have an impact to their economic success and future.

Olaf

Supporting Member
If a company approved or agreed to be on a document before reviewing and understanding it, then they are culpable!

I think it's imperative that we draw a line in the sand, make a tough stance and discuss/review details of their actual proposal later!

We are formulating our opinion based on a letter written and companies listed on that letter. The opinion seems to be that we are not in favor of limiting access!

Some people don't understand that these groups DO NOT WANT TO COMPROMISE! They compromise because they are made to! Many of the groups opposing us, oppose mountain biking, equestrians, and even don't want hikers walking on the dirt after it rains because of errosion and foraging(No, I'm not kidding!) They fall short of considering humans an invasive species upon the land (No, I'm not kidding!)
Make no mistake that our opponents are more passionate, more organized, and better funded than we are! Picture this when thinking about how to deal with these issues.

zukijames

i dont think the companies under stand..

here is an example read the companies reply

Picture7-2.png