Why has your U4WDA membership expired?

Why has your U4WDA membership expired?

• I forgot to send the money.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don't know where or how to renew.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • I am not satisfied with leadership or managment.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • My money belongs with another org or group.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • I didn't see the benefit when I was a member.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 20 43.5%

• Total voters

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
...Kurt, I wish I could give you answers, but as you know, I don't have them. Yet...

So I guess it begs the question. What is U4, specifically the BOD doing right now?

A membership drive is the last thing I would be placing at the frontier of importance, merchandising, raffles and event planning should be even further behind that. All too often the organization gets caught up in the peripheral duties and forgets what its there for. If you are not pro-actively doing something in the name of land use in some shape and form, then why keep taking peoples money in the form of advertising, raffles, merchandise and memberships? Why not instead spend those man-hours fixing the core issues and then go after a broader member base. You can't spend 95% of your resources (time & money) on items that should be 25% of the cause. Scale back the budget needs while fulfilling any obligations made to sponsors and members. U4 doesn't need a giant coffer of money if all they are going to do is pass it on to the next land use group, tell people to send it directly and cut out the wasted time if that is what it comes to.

More suggestions, they might not be new, but they are imo more important than the apparent activities of the BOD.

1. Re-read my earlier suggestions. Then have Todd A. call Dale Bartholomew and get a Trail Patrol class scheduled for your next BOD meeting. Table any current needs as it doesn't sound like any of them are really all that pressing. At the same time urge BOD members to start scheduling their own Tread Trainer courses. This has been talked about for years and years, literally. Make it happen this time. Require BOD members comply by x date.

2. Clarify the BOD officer and member at large responsibilities and duties in the by-laws, add in the fact that each BOD member needs to be playing an active roll in some land use project and subject to review by the BOD and working towards being a TP and TT member. I had always wanted to do this, I take the blame on myself that I never was able to make this happen.

3. Get a 1 year detailed and a 2 year tentative calendar. This includes things like EJS and other membership/fund raising activities, and more importantly things like NPLD, RMP dates, comment periods of any public land issues across the state. Put a project managers name next to each and every item. Extend the calendar each BOD meeting to always be planning two years out.

4. Now start working on memberships, advertising and improving the Compass. Start by assigning x amount of expired names to each BOD member. It would be as simple as generating a report, copy/past a list of queries to said BOD member and have them call between now and the next BOD meeting. The attrition rate of members is alarming, the 1 and done members are either feeling robbed or just forgetting. Judging on the results of this poll, we can make assumptions but without doubt a stable organization will inspire new and renewing memberships.

PS, tell Jack we don't need to have our strategic planning meeting anymore, this is all the same stuff we would have discussed, much of which is the same stuff we discussed at our last strategic planning session at Russ's place (RIP buddy!). Its time to implement.

Don B

formerly rebarguy
Kurt,
Of your last suggested items, #2 and #4 are already in progress.

In my opinion, #3 is where we need to be making improvements. Land use issues such as the RMP's and Travel Plans are an area where local clubs are not really in a position to deal with on a statewide basis and U4 would be performing a valuable service by keeping it's membership informed on what is happening.

2BIGTJ

RUKKASTIXX Motorsports
A suggestion I have had for years is this...why not have different regions for U4. I live in Southern Utah and would love to be more involved and help out. But logically i can not drive to SLC for a meeting every month. Why not have a south region meeting so we can be informed and give our input on what we feel. Have someone deal directly with the BOD from Southern Utah so I/we can feel more a part of things. We can hold monthly meetings and service projects so that the BOD from SLC are not stretched thin all across the state. The Same can be done up North as well.

In my opinion this would keep a vast majority of members. I joined U4 2 years ago right before I moved to Southern Utah, but being down here i felt so out of touch with what was going on i just forgot to renew, it was not important to me because I was not able to be actively involved.

I am reading all the Suggestions and apparent issues people are having with the current state of the organization, I would love to help out and would volunteer in a heart beat if there was something I could do from here. It does sound like more needs to be done from a leadership standpoint, two years ago my dad and I organized the NPLD in Moab with the close help of the U4WDA. This last year my dad said he never even received a call from anyone with U4WDA. This is in Moab Utah, we all know we need help in that area.

If someone wants to PM I would be happy to help out in any way. Off-roading is my passion and my love, and I know we are on the brink of losing a lot of our rights if we don't shape things up and get to work

Don B

formerly rebarguy
A suggestion I have had for years is this...why not have different regions for U4. I live in Southern Utah and would love to be more involved and help out. But logically i can not drive to SLC for a meeting every month. Why not have a south region meeting so we can be informed and give our input on what we feel. Have someone deal directly with the BOD from Southern Utah so I/we can feel more a part of things. We can hold monthly meetings and service projects so that the BOD from SLC are not stretched thin all across the state. The Same can be done up North as well.

In my opinion this would keep a vast majority of members. I joined U4 2 years ago right before I moved to Southern Utah, but being down here i felt so out of touch with what was going on i just forgot to renew, it was not important to me because I was not able to be actively involved.

I am reading all the Suggestions and apparent issues people are having with the current state of the organization, I would love to help out and would volunteer in a heart beat if there was something I could do from here. It does sound like more needs to be done from a leadership standpoint, two years ago my dad and I organized the NPLD in Moab with the close help of the U4WDA. This last year my dad said he never even received a call from anyone with U4WDA. This is in Moab Utah, we all know we need help in that area.

If someone wants to PM I would be happy to help out in any way. Off-roading is my passion and my love, and I know we are on the brink of losing a lot of our rights if we don't shape things up and get to work

We do have the state divided up into regions somewhat. I am the VP for the Southwestern Region including St. George. I work with the active clubs which include Utah 4x4 Club, Access America and Canyon Country 4x4. We definately need to do a better job of keeping in contact with all the U4 members in the area and ideas are certainly welcome. The idea of having a regional meeting for the members in the area is worth looking into further.

Feel free to call me any time.
Don Black (435) 819-0061

As does anyone, but I think you will find a clear fraction of current or past members that are confused as to what U4WDA is actually accomplishing on the ground towards protecting land access.

The end goal is no secret, and the paths to get there are no secret either. The method of the madness however :-\

Education: Any progress here? Anything on the books now? We are are at the height of the summer outdoor season. Who is there to educate if not our state Association? How many current BOD members are Trail Patrol or Tread Lightly certified? How many are active on their Trail Patrol hours and Tread Trainer certs? IMO opinion it should be 80% minimum, 100% the goal. Instead you have 1 or 2 out of 20 active in education. For reals, do a poll and report back, its speaks volumes about the Association imo. A BOD should have some formal training to protect out public lands, eating cookies in a board meeting once a month isn't doing the trick ;)

Stewardship: Any progress here? Service projects planned? So for 2009 we've piggy-backed on another Associations (UTMA) service project. Is U4 planning anything? I'm not asking what member clubs are doing, I'm asking whats being done by the Association for the benefit of and for the Association. What dates can be put on our calendars?

Pro-Active Interaction: While 6 of the states BLM RMP's are behind us. We have 5 more in the pipeline, not to mention dozens of upcoming Forest, State and BLM revisions in the works. Who and what is being worked on? This should be the #1 priority of the U4WDA, simply put. Those 6 RMP's had 10x more outcome on the future of recreation on public lands than the last 20 years of service projects, newsletters, conventions and rides, yet the effort and manpower exerted past and present can be summarized by one or two BOD members working on these issues at an Association level, if that?

Clubs and individual groups of OHV recreators are in for a very big surprise when they find out their next club event could be required to have to have a Special Recreation Permit, a process that takes up to 180 days and an insurance premium to get. Yes, even a non-profit club just out to have a great day on the trail can required to get an SRP of face a fine. What is the U4WDA doing to work with BLM offices to clarify these permits on behalf of their clubs? Behind the actual trail closures and restrictions this was the next biggest issue the RMP's addressed. Even a planned RME run to Rattlesnake could be forced to file for an SRP, completely foreseeable.

The ratio between "hours on the ground" and "hours in the board room" has always been grossly skewed, management of any sizable group will eat up available resources though financial, membership and operations management, but the numbers have seemingly become disgustingly reduced in the past year? I was told less than 5 minutes was dedicated to anything remotely land use at that last BOD meeting, and that was discussing the UTMA event? True? That is pitiful if true.

I think the U4WDA needs a major BOD overhaul, not saying people need to leave, just restructure and clarify duties, responsibilities and expectations. A re-focus if you will. Things have been down a wayward path for quite some time, unfortunately it seems its to the point a simple turn won't get it back on track, too many hurt feelings, lost opportunities and damaged egos. If a BOD member can't tow their line, they need to be willing to step down and take a back seat position and let someone do the job as needed. If those fundamental jobs can't be done, other less crucial items need to be scaled back until the manpower can be mustered to satisfy the rear needs and goals. Speaking of goals, what are the goals of the U4WDA? Who is working on which aspect of said goals? What stage of completion are they?

Some may find my comments critical, so be it, they are. If anyone has faced the flip side of these issues it is myself and while I've seen the U4WDA in various stages of disarray in my years of involvement, I've never seen it in the apparent mess it is in to this day at the same time having the most BOD members too? How it got to that point we can all speculate but the fact remains I think the last thing U4WDA needs to worry about is roping in new and renewing members until they can get a game plan beyond next week. If said game plan does exist, lets here it! The easiest way to sell a potential member on the organization is to show them results and plans, using the blanket statement "all money goes to keeping public lands public" may be a great one liner at a fundraiser, but its neither factual nor possible.

NPLD is in 4 months, I've heard absolutely nothing about it on club levels? This in the past years has been U4WDA's only official stewardship showing? Will it be a last minute hobble this year or are plans in the work under the leadership of an event coordinator?

Dammit, that is a GOOD post!

So I guess it begs the question. What is U4, specifically the BOD doing right now?

A membership drive is the last thing I would be placing at the frontier of importance, merchandising, raffles and event planning should be even further behind that. All too often the organization gets caught up in the peripheral duties and forgets what its there for. If you are not pro-actively doing something in the name of land use in some shape and form, then why keep taking peoples money in the form of advertising, raffles, merchandise and memberships? Why not instead spend those man-hours fixing the core issues and then go after a broader member base. You can't spend 95% of your resources (time & money) on items that should be 25% of the cause. Scale back the budget needs while fulfilling any obligations made to sponsors and members. U4 doesn't need a giant coffer of money if all they are going to do is pass it on to the next land use group, tell people to send it directly and cut out the wasted time if that is what it comes to.

More suggestions, they might not be new, but they are imo more important than the apparent activities of the BOD.

1. Re-read my earlier suggestions. Then have Todd A. call Dale Bartholomew and get a Trail Patrol class scheduled for your next BOD meeting. Table any current needs as it doesn't sound like any of them are really all that pressing. At the same time urge BOD members to start scheduling their own Tread Trainer courses. This has been talked about for years and years, literally. Make it happen this time. Require BOD members comply by x date.

2. Clarify the BOD officer and member at large responsibilities and duties in the by-laws, add in the fact that each BOD member needs to be playing an active roll in some land use project and subject to review by the BOD and working towards being a TP and TT member. I had always wanted to do this, I take the blame on myself that I never was able to make this happen.

3. Get a 1 year detailed and a 2 year tentative calendar. This includes things like EJS and other membership/fund raising activities, and more importantly things like NPLD, RMP dates, comment periods of any public land issues across the state. Put a project managers name next to each and every item. Extend the calendar each BOD meeting to always be planning two years out.

4. Now start working on memberships, advertising and improving the Compass. Start by assigning x amount of expired names to each BOD member. It would be as simple as generating a report, copy/past a list of queries to said BOD member and have them call between now and the next BOD meeting. The attrition rate of members is alarming, the 1 and done members are either feeling robbed or just forgetting. Judging on the results of this poll, we can make assumptions but without doubt a stable organization will inspire new and renewing memberships.

PS, tell Jack we don't need to have our strategic planning meeting anymore, this is all the same stuff we would have discussed, much of which is the same stuff we discussed at our last strategic planning session at Russ's place (RIP buddy!). Its time to implement.

Kurt for pres. ;)

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
Kurt,
I have to say that some of the points you bring up I disagree with. You seem to put all the load on U4. In actuality service projects, RMP responses etc. should come from local clubs with U4 as an organization these local clubs look to for advice not leading them. I know for a fact that all of the active local clubs realize the impact SRP’s hold for their future.
You know full well what the issues the U4BOD faces and I have a problem with arm chair quarterbacks.
First and foremost U4 was created to promote our hobby. Yes land use has become a large part of what U4 does but we are more than that. Give the BOD some time to work out the re-structure. We are not the only group facing issues. United is, how shall I put it, having problems. We can’t fix this in a day but I believe we will.
Everyone else that is on the overdue list, please support U4 first by renewing your membership and them maybe helping out more than just showing up to a cleanup and thinking you have done your part to protect the future of our hobby.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Todd,

You contradict yourself by saying that the clubs should lead RMP/projects, yet clubs should look to U4 for advice. Wouldn't the U4 then need to be ear deep in the RMP's and projects!!?!

If the clubs were doing that, then the U4 BOD runs the risk of sitting around and not talking about land use. ;)

The U4 needs to be the steward/liason between these RMPs and the clubs. There's so much to go over, you can't expect clubs to figure it all out. U4 should be responsible for researching, strategizing, then passing along to the clubs (who can then put together letter writing parties) the important info that the U4 endorses/disagrees with...

Todd, your one of the longest running BOD members and a veteran land use dude... It's been your responsibility to shape new coming BOD's into land use worker bees instead of allowing them to grow comfy in their arm chairs throwing hail marys to eachother. I realise this is not easy, but you can't point blame at just the arm chair pigskin throwers.

Best thing to do is allow the restucture, as you mention, and get ear deep into the RMP's.. That's what will help save face for the U4. Train the U4 to do what they say they do. :)

-Jason

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
How is discussing the state of U4 armchair quarterbacking? Every member should be interested in and have a voice in what is going on with U4. Many people can't come to the meetings so they voice their concerns/suggestions on this forum. Offering a suggestion is not armchair quarterbacking.

Let's see I donate to U4, attend cleanups, write letters, attend rally's, I'm treadlightly certified, what else in your mind does the average U4 member need to do to be considered doing their part?
Everyone participates as much as their time/commitments allow. If U4 needs specific help with an item, ask for help, that is what this forum is for. Information on needs within the organization is not getting passed from the meetings to the general membership.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Kurt,
I have to say that some of the points you bring up I disagree with. You seem to put all the load on U4. In actuality service projects, RMP responses etc. should come from local clubs with U4 as an organization these local clubs look to for advice not leading them.

Your right, we will disagree. Clubs should plan rides, handle localized service projects and provide on the ground intel for said RMP type issues, but as a statewide advocacy group U4 should be leading the way, not waiting for someone to come to them. Most of our clubs don't have the means nor structure to research RMP processes, nor will they necessarily have the clout to get in at the ground level while the RMP is still being developed. Its that wait game that has put U4 and our states land use situation where it is at today. I firmly believe in pro-active land use approach and this is a major reason I lost all interest in participating in U4 at a board level. I don't have time to sit around for hours a month discussing shirt colors and quantities of hats to buy, or whether or not we should do breakfast for our next convention... face it, its not going to do the slightest to maintain access. Its my belief that land use should be 95% of the priority, the other picking up the remaining. I know my opinion isn't popular in that regards, we can agree to disagree there.

I know for a fact that all of the active local clubs realize the impact SRP’s hold for their future.

Wanna bet? One of the bigger and more active clubs in Utah had really no clue until just several months ago when I dropped one of them a note in regards to a major trip they were planning. The trip planner (whom plans 20 or so trips a year for several clubs) had no clue and scrambled for an answer. A phone call to the BLM and sure enough they had to alter their plans. I know my club the Wasatch Cruisers knows little to nothing about it. Even those clubs that are familiar with the SRP's are still confused, hell everybody is confused about the criteria for a permit. We've been discussing this in the past few days with a handful of major players, you'd be surprised what an issue this could become. I know for a fact 1/2 of your board members don't know the first things about SRP's, and your going to try and tell me its "fact" that all the clubs know. Just not the case Todd.

You know full well what the issues the U4BOD faces and I have a problem with arm chair quarterbacks.

Todd, I'm not sure if the 'arm chair quarterback' comment is aimed at me or not, if so take a minute and remember how & why I became President of U4, I'm probably the last person you personally should call an armchair quarterback. :p If in deed it was, lets roll, if I'm going to be accused of one I'll start being one. I haven't been critical yet. Plus, I don't consider it the act of being an 'arm chair quarterback', more like a 'concerned shareholder' with a vested interest in not letting U4 fall into shambles.

Last edited:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Simmer down, boys-- we're all friends here! :D

Todd, regarding this:

First and foremost U4 was created to promote our hobby. Yes land use has become a large part of what U4 does but we are more than that. Give the BOD some time to work out the re-structure. We are not the only group facing issues. United is, how shall I put it, having problems. We can’t fix this in a day but I believe we will.

-- I share your hope for the future... and I'm a relative noob when it comes to land use, the U4, etc--- but I disagree with your first statement there-- it runs counter to our stated mission of education. But then, that kind of goes right along with reorganizing things a bit, I guess-- either we change to better match our stated mission, or we change the mission, and let USA-ALL handle the education. ? No, I dont' agree with that either, so guess what side I'm gonna come down on? :D

The big underlying issue that has been just KILLING me all this time is USER APATHY, which as far as I can is always and has always been a problem. I think U4WDA BoD reorganization is going to be a relatively easy thing compared to dealing with that-- by that I mean, I have no illusions that a shiny new BOD is going to make the other 100,000 4wd users suddenly wake up and start giving a sh*t about any of this.

Like I said way back when, and got chewed out about: 600 people are doing the job, the rest are dead weight. GET INVOLVED

Todd Adams

Grammy's Spotter
I think the bottom line is we all essentially agree to certain points and this is a good discussion but are we gaining any attention from the users that think they can do nothing and have our hobby survive? Barring disagreements we all want the same thing and that is going to require everyone not just those of us that are already involved.

SloPoke

A lot of good discussion here… Kurt has some very valid points along with others as well.

One question… Is U4wda doing all that it should be doing? I’d bet that everyone on RME has some constructive criticism about what U4 IS doing that it shouldn’t and just the same what U4 ISN’T doing that it should. And all of them are valid!

Ultimately – the Board votes on the final decision of what to focus its limited resources on. Yes – I said LIMITED RESOURCES.

U4WDA and its board is an ALL VOLUNTEER organization. Everything that gets done by the association is being done by an individual who stepped up and volunteered to do that work in their spare time. Some on the Board have some pretty heavy lifting in what they do for U4 – Take the Membership job… Hours and hours a month of manual work that takes away from the time that could be done doing something else (like wheeling – or family…) Don’t think that everyone on the board is working hard – there are others on the Board have relatively no responsibilities, and they rarely volunteer to take on any either.

There is no shortage of suggestions of what U4WDA should be working on (see Kurt’s list) … but there is a shortage of someone volunteering to take on a project and working on it. Right now, the Board is working on keeping its core infrastructure running… The basics like Compass, Financials, Membership, and Fundraising are heavy loads that a few on the board is currently carrying. Every time a new suggestion that we work on something new… We need someone willing to step up and take it on – but how often does that happen? - Not much .

Since RME has such outstanding representation on the U4WDA Board, I would think that RME would be more In-the-know about the recent Board meeting to formulate the 1-3-5 year plan for the association. A special all-day meeting was held to put an action plan around many of the issues / topics that are being discussed in this thread.

The bottom line is… There are only so many VOLUNTEERS on the board who are able to get the things that U4WDA needs to done – finished. If U4WDA is going to be able to complete all of the things that are being discussed in this thread, it is going to need VOLUNTEERS who are willing to work on them. But when there aren’t any volunteers willing to take on one of these - the board has a tough time voting to make them happen.

If you are interested in getting involved – don’t hesitate… U4 NEEDS YOU.
You can contact any of the members on the Board to find out how to get involved - Or simply look here: http://www.u4wda.org

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Ah yes yes.. I knew the name looked familiar. Duh me.

Sheesh Steve, atleast close your message with your name or something! ;)