Jeep Willys ground-up build

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Do belts come in half-inch increments? Maybe try a 78" belt? Just a WAG.

Yes, 1/2" increments. 78" seems a bit short to me maybe...(1.5" less?), but there's that, or a 78 1/2", or a 79"....this according to the handy dandy Autozone website. Part numbers go like this: 790K6 is a 79", 6 rib belt. 785K6 is a 78.5", etc.

Interesting, the 78 and 78.5 are both about $17, the 79 is $27. Hmmmmm.....

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I would go a little shorter. Those spring tensioners seem to like a little bit of tension. I've had to remove... components on the road and get new belts a few times, and the shorter ones seemed to feel a little better and didn't look like they were going to fly off the pulleys at idle. :D

Let me say again: SWEET BUILD

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Yes, 1/2" increments. 78" seems a bit short to me maybe...(1.5" less?), but there's that, or a 78 1/2", or a 79"....this according to the handy dandy Autozone website. Part numbers go like this: 790K6 is a 79", 6 rib belt. 785K6 is a 78.5", etc.

Interesting, the 78 and 78.5 are both about $17, the 79 is $27. Hmmmmm.....

79 is clearly too long if that's your measurement with no tension on the tensioner. I don't have anything laying around that is even close to that short. I do have some 1/4" solid rod. I'll be home all day tomorrow as far as i know.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
79 is clearly too long if that's your measurement with no tension on the tensioner. I don't have anything laying around that is even close to that short. I do have some 1/4" solid rod. I'll be home all day tomorrow as far as i know.

It's 79.5 with no tension.

I'll call you tomorrow. :D (wait....today now, but I'll wait until you aren't asleep)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Tiny update....I got the 2 1/2" stretch through the door opening done, and created myself some extra work by cutting 2 1/2" more off the rear of the wheelwells. The piece I cut off will get welded to the front of the wheelwell, so it'll move the rear axle position 2 1/2" further back than it already was, while still looking mostly stockish I think.

The 2.5" stretch:

IMG_0016.jpg

The 2.5" wheelwell move, with the cut-off chunk carefully taped into place for picture purposes. :D

IMG_0017.jpg

I also did a ton of cleaning under/around the Jeep, since it was getting pretty nasty. Now that the body is the size it's going to be, I can finally start bending tube and doing things more interesting than body work. :greg:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Wait a second... I heard you were on the operating table today. What gives? :p

I'll start another post, as my new alter ego "Carlotta". ;)

Alright, tube time. :D

I feel like I've been waiting a looooong time for this Tube Time. :D

I also heard you died. is there any truth to this? :p

Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

Looks good. I remain a fan of your Jeep bodymods. Carry on!

PS I hope you're not dead.

I'm not dead yet, I'm feeling better.....

I can confirm that he was not dead, as of about 5 minutes ago. The last 5 minutes are up in the air though. :ugh:

The drive home was harrowing, but somehow I pulled through. :chris:

jsudar

I've always loved the old Willys. I wanted a jeep, but I ended up with a '55 wagon as my first four wheel drive. Sometimes I still cry like a little girl when I remember I sold it. :( Even if it did leave me stranded a lot.

I'm really liking the build up.
When you put the rod in you fenders and hammer the edge over, are you going to make relief cuts in the sheet metal or will it stretch that much?

I'm anxious to see how you do it. I think it's a cool idea. I don't do much bodywork myself. That's what rocks are for.

Last edited: