Your Pic of The Day

Gary T

Combine cabin fever with a few minutes here and there between Christmas activities with the family... and I get time to dig into random things on my mind. There are about 97,513 of these research projects currently on my mind, AFC being up there as previously discussed. But this Sandy<->Alta railroad has always intrigued me. I've read about it a great deal in various published works, on Don's amazing UtahRails.net site and poured over tons of aerial photos from the 30's, 40's all the way up to current. The railroad ran ~400 ft from my house which adds a great deal of intrigue to me. I've been documenting that research here for anyone that is curious. https://expeditionutah.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-sandy-alta-railroad-line.8013/

I plan to head up to the only existence of the rail grade that isn't covered by a house or a modern road and see if my metal detector can drum a rail spike or some proof it was once there. @DAA, wanna go swing detectors next spring when the ground thaws? We should take @jeeper in his truck, as I recall he's a pro at finding railroad spikes :D

But, my pic of the day is this 1965 aerial photo of my neighborhood including the long gone Alta Sky Park airport. I tossed in a corner coordinate for reference. The land under my notation is current day Flat Iron Mesa Park for those familiar with the area.

View attachment 167763

With the present wrapping wrapped (see what I did there), I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning crawling through hi-res downloads of aerial photos of Big Cottonwood (particularly Cardiff Fork), Corner Canyon (@bryson, @moab_cj5 @theferg Paul R, we need to visit some more sites up there again soon) and all over my stomping grounds of Sandy & Draper. Damn I love maps, aerial photos and satellite images. Time to open a map store/coffee/taco shop called the Topo-Taco-Two ;)
That’s just on the hill above Willow Creek country club. Kurt, you will remember when I live there. When we first moved in that Hill was still undeveloped, and the scouts would use it for campouts. How things have changed.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
That’s just on the hill above Willow Creek country club. Kurt, you will remember when I live there. When we first moved in that Hill was still undeveloped, and the scouts would use it for campouts. How things have changed.

Yup, its right up by our old place. Can you imaging a train running through that area and on up Little Cottonwood Canyon these days? :D

85CUCVKRAWLER

412157371_10161178060319082_1553812510981902012_n.jpg

Ive been duck hunting hard this past two months. Ive never done duck hunting before (beyond a tag-a-long hunt) and ive been thoroughly hooked. Its taken some trial and error, but now im stacking the ducks and having tons of fun. The experience of hunting from a rickety mud skipper jon boat has been quite the adventure. As the season is closing i cant wait for next year!