'09 Rubicon

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Made another license plate bracket for a friend today. Got a slightly better picture of what it all looks like.

IMAG0856.jpg

thenag

Made another license plate bracket for a friend today. Got a slightly better picture of what it all looks like.

IMAG0856.jpg

I like that a lot, really simple and effective.
here is a shot of what we did for my father-in-law's tj. We actually used full size 2x2 receiver material so we could just put an off the shelf receiver 3rd brake light in it. I don't know what he did for the 12v connection.
DSCN5978.JPG

On mine the brake light is from a early 90's gm everything (suburban, little blazer, van etc...) the license plate cover/light is from an Isuzu Trooper, I found a black one and didn't even have to paint it.
It passed inspection...
IMG_5277.JPG

DSCN5888.JPG

If this isn't a good place to post creative brake light and and license plate mounting, let me know.

nathan
99 xj with stuff

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Man your just cranking a ton of stuff out with that welder, makes me want one now.

These are all things I've wanted to get done before the welder. I know I could have asked for welding help but I'm not the kind of person that asks for help much unless I really need it. I think the welder is probably the single best purchase other than the Jeep itself.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
So I've been saving up for a bit now and I've narrowed down my next two major purchases for this thing.

First will be a rear bumper/tire carrier from AllJeep once they have them ready I will do my best to be the first to buy one.

After that is suspension, which is going to be in the spring sometime. I'm still not completely set on which lift I'm going to go with. I'm thinking a Teraflex 3" short arm or maybe a long arm depending on how I feel about my welding skills when the time comes. My other two options are Rock Krawler and Metalcloak. All of these will put me between 2400 and 3400 bucks with shocks and everything else I will need to make them work not counting drivelines if I need to upgrade(which I should anyway)

Ryan from AllJeep has offered to let me take a ride in his teraflex long armed JK which I want to take him up on. Hopefully I'll be able to take a ride in a couple others to try and help my decision. I'm leaning more towards Teraflex after Ryan pointed out the whole local company thing and all the things Teraflex does for the wheeling community in general as well as just RME.

kellerexpress

You are more than welcome to take my JK for a spin to help you decide on a lift. I'm running a 4" teraflex longarm with teraflex shocks. You can't go wrong with the teraflex stuff, super beefy and rides great on the road.

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I'll come down the welding for you if you need it, don't let that hold you back.

That would be awesome. Honestly with the long arm kit the welding won't take that much time compared to the prep work for the welding. With an offer like that on the table you may have just kicked me even more towards the long arm.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Well I was going to do a rear bumper with tire carrier from Alljeep once they became available but I bent my drag link on Thursday so an upgraded drag link is my next requirement. Not sure what brand yet but it needs to be done before the 18th for hanging tree.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Ordered a RK drag link today. I went with this one because it is one of the few upgraded drag links that can be used either as a flip link or stock replacement. It also uses the same tie rod ends as my RK Tie Rod which are the stock TRE's from the pitman arm so they are easy to find which is another thing not available with anybody else.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Looks like my drag link isn't going to get here until next friday which doesn't give me much time to get it installed to take off on Saturday morning for hanging tree. I'm thinking I might cut a piece of DOM in half and clamshell it around the link in the mean time just in case I can't get the new one installed in time. If I can't get the new one installed I will bring it along just in case and have my TRE's already set to the correct length which will make an easy quick fix in case it doesn't hold up.

And on to a bright note. My wife got me a GoPro for our 5 year anniversary, seems like a legitimate anniversary present to me. So at least I'll get to use it right away and try it out.