'09 Rubicon

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
IMAG0735.jpg

IMAG0736.jpg

Just a little more welding, grinding then paint.

I am also going to be making a skid to bolt on the bottom to cover the sway bar motor.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Thanks Greg.

So it took 4 years but my harbor freight angle grinder finally quit cutting the last piece of the bumper. So tomorrow I'll have to get a new one to finish this up.

OB1

I have over 100,000 on my 07 JK Rubicon Unlimited and have never had a problem with the TOB
For sure! :rofl: Alot of wives must rest their foot on the pedal. Like I said before, I hear it's a pretty common problem. Clutch is still in great shape. Just figure I'll change it out while doing the TOB.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Well it's all done except for my shackle tabs which I'm still waiting on them in the mail and some paint.

IMAG0737.jpg

This is my skid plate for my sway bar. I made it bolt on to the bottom of the bumper and attach to the frame underneath. I still need to strengthen it up a little on the back side but I like being able to take it off without taking my bumper off. Pay no attention to how not sqare my hole is for my winch, no one will ever see it anyway.
IMAG0738.jpg

After Memorial Day weekend in Moab I'll start planning my rear bumper.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Bumper is painted and the winch is all installed.

251959_377485775631145_2070866884_n.jpg

I also washed and waxed the jeep for the for the first time ever, probably the last time for a long time.

IMAG0777.jpg

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Made me a foot peg today. I had a set kinda like this for my first TJ and have been missing them lately. The ones they sell now for the JK are a very poor design and put a lot of stress on the sheet metal. This one doesn't even touch the sheet metal.

IMAG0782.jpg

IMAG0781.jpg

IMAG0780.jpg

I'm really loving this welder, I just sit in the garage all day before work and brainstorm on what I can build next with what metal I have laying around.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Went down to Teraflex today and picked up some shock extensions for the front and rear. I realized the other day that my shocks were maxing out before I was getting full droop. The Rubi shocks actually have a really nice ride and I don't have enough money to replace them with something that will ride as well.

The other day I had it flexed out on my buddies 31" truck tire and my driver rear was off the ground and my passenger rear was at full stuff. Today I did the same and I still had another inch or two of droop on the driver side and I was not quite touching the bumpstop on the passenger side.

Hopefully this will help it work a little better, I'll find out next weekend at the Jeep show.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
So even though I'm still on the fence right now about going to run the Rubicon with Steve in September I'm going to do everything I need to get the Jeep ready for it. I'm working on a list of things that need to get done.

I need some solid diff covers, everytime I take it out I have to take them off and re-seal them and that is starting to get spendy.
I need to re-mount my driver side slider a little lower and weld on a little better than it is now.
I need to build my front lower control arms, uppers are done and installed.
Possibly build a rear bumper/tire carrier with provisions for water cans/gas cans and high lift.
Get a good fire extinguisher mount.
Fix my winch solenoids, one or two of them click when winding out.

I need to figure out what my current setup is doing that is preventing me from getting up waynes world. This is mostly for myself since I will not be owned by WW and I am tired of getting my ass kicked on it.

I need to get out and run Hanging Tree with Steve, mainly just because it should be an awesome trip.

sixstringsteve

So even though I'm still on the fence right now about going to run the Rubicon with Steve in September I'm going to do everything I need to get the Jeep ready for it.
I need to get out and run Hanging Tree with Steve, mainly just because it should be an awesome trip.

now that's what I'm talking about! I'll be in a similar push to get my stuff ready for hanging tree in a month or so. I'm thinking mid to late july, then some AF overnighters up Mineral Basin.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Looking good Brian, I'm glad your figuring everything out for my future build :D

Hey no problem. I really think if I can get the suspension dialed in this thing will be amazing. I need some 2.5" lift springs, since right now it's sitting on a front and rear leveling kit the front is 2" and the rear is 1" I just need to get some more travel out of it really and it will do awesome. I think the next set of tires will be 37's but that is a big investment all around so I'll have to do some saving for that one.

RockChucker

I think WW is just a bear in a 4 door. I have seen several guys attempt it and a few make it. The bottom is cake and the upper part is hard. I think that the ledges are spaced at just right (wrong?) for a 4 doors wheel base. One of my buddies has a 4 door with 70" wide axles and 40's and still had to hammer it to get up it. Funny how it is just the opposite for me. I have to goose it a little to get up the bottom and can idle up the upper part in my TJ....

zukijames

if you can keep one front tire on ww to one side or the other of the upper ledge.. so it just ramps up and only 1 tire hits the ledge it really helps.. example come from the far right angling to the driver side but every rig is different

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
The bottom ledge isn't the problem, my wheel base helps there. Once I get to the second ledge my wheelbase kills me. I think with a little suspension tweaking I can get it. But I may just have to use momentum.

With the extra droop I have now I need to try again and see how she does.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I watched a number of different rigs attempt it the other day. Most of the bigger rigs didn't make it. The cherokees and the wranglers did far better than anyone else.

It is a very unique obstacle, and one that is very picky on what it allows up. I will get it or break on it eventually.

huntinkid

i watched two 4 door jk's with evo lever suspensions, rock jock 60's and 40's and it took each of them well over 5 to 10 minutes to get up it. make sure to get a video of it when you break :)