'09 Rubicon

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Not a fan of stingers. My wife is, and they look better on JK's than other Jeeps.
The only reason I would cut off the frame horns would be if I could have a good looking bumper, winch and still get a much better approach angle.

I know there are a few bumpers that accomplish this.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Pic with no bumper and no winch. I'll put it all back on tomorrow.
IMAG0729-1.jpg

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Josh is correct, I do have minor rubbing after trimming the pinch seam. Rubs front and rear but nothing doing any damage to the tires or the Jeep. I think with better backspacing my rubbing would be eliminated. Right now I'm at 4.75 inches and would much rather be at 4 or even 3.5 inches which should keep the rubbing even less than I'm at right now.

I'll have to find a picture of what the stock pinch seam looks like compared to how much I trimmed. I only trimmed the rear.

On the front I had to add a few washers to the steering stops and it still rubs a little at full lock when it's at full stuff, another problem to be solved by better backspacing. Luckily everywhere it is rubbing now is on a smooth surface so it's really not a problem. I'm going to try and start with 1/2" bumpstop extensions and go from there. It will take a little bit of figuring out though since I don't think anyone does a half inch bumpstop extension.

Metal Cloak claims being able to run 37's but you have to run extra bumpstop extensions and I didn't want to limit my up travel since it wasn't getting lifted. I wanted to keep as much travel as possible.

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
^ cool. I read the metal cloak website and saw the 37 inch claim, but these things never seem to equal in real life. I will be watching this thread closely keep the updates coming.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Beat the crap out of my slider yesterday on Waynes World.

IMAG0732.jpg

I wasn't able to make it up. The rocks were very slick with dust and the bottom was really dug out and I kept sliding all the way to the left no matter what line I tried. On my last attempt I tried a solid bump and it slid into the slider pretty hard which I am confident that is where the sweet dents in the tubes came from. One of these days I'll catch WW on a good day for my Jeep and I'll make it up.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
That seems to be the way ir always goes for me too. I never plan to wheel my nice cars super hard, but then...... I guess it was good thinking that you pit on the sliders that would have been alot more expensive to fix without them:).

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
That seems to be the way ir always goes for me too. I never plan to wheel my nice cars super hard, but then...... I guess it was good thinking that you pit on the sliders that would have been alot more expensive to fix without them:).

Yeah the stock sliders worked ok but would have never held up to that hit.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Started building my bumper yesterday. I am going to mount the winch inside the bumper. As of right now I only have one more big plate to put on the bottom then some pieces to close it up on the sides.

IMAG0733.jpg

Once this is done I will do a rear bumper with a swing out tire carrier. I know i am going to love finally owning a welder.

rholbrook

Looks good. Just a suggestion, being a fellow Davis Co resident and having to deal with inspection and emissions, you ought to build some extensions that you can easily bolt on to the ends of your bumper that will extend it wide enough to take care of your inspections once a year. When you are off roading, you can easily take off. I got tired of switching bumpers or putting the stock tires on for inspections.