'09 Rubicon

sixstringsteve

congrats Brian! 3 pieces of advice on the GoPro

1) enable the "one button on" feature and use it allways.
2) the little white "nose plug" looking thing helps reduce vibration/chatter (mainly on the audio) when clipped on. It makes a HUGE difference.
3) the waterproof case rocks, but it muffles the sound. If you want to hear the audio better, use the non-waterproof backdoor.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
congrats Brian! 3 pieces of advice on the GoPro

1) enable the "one button on" feature and use it allways.
2) the little white "nose plug" looking thing helps reduce vibration/chatter (mainly on the audio) when clipped on. It makes a HUGE difference.
3) the waterproof case rocks, but it muffles the sound. If you want to hear the audio better, use the non-waterproof backdoor.

Thanks Steve, I was actually wondering what that white nose plug looking thing was. I pulled the padding out of my driver side roll bar today and got the mount put on and it will be perfectly placed for video from the Jeep but I do want a suction cup mount at some point for mobility purposes.

And this means we will have at least two gopro's for the Rubicon and Hanging Tree trips.

So I read a little about the "one button on" but kinda skimmed over it. Does that just start and stop recording everytime you power it up and power down on the default power on setting?

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Got my drag link beefed up a little where it was bent today. I'm not going to bother painting it since it's going to be replaced in the next couple weeks. Welding the DOM on was a bit of a challenge with the drag link still on the Jeep but I think it will be at least strong enough to not bend on the HTT trip. I didn't mess with trying to straighten it since it just didn't seem worth it but I think this will do just fine.

IMAG0878.jpg

I will still bring my new drag link with me just in case which means I need to get one more TRE so I can have it set up to the proper length just in case something does happen.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
had my first onset of death wobble today. Luckily it was only at about 15mph but it was most deffinetly death wobble. I know I've got enough time to track it down before this weekend. If I can't I'll slap a steering stabilizer back on in the mean time to cover it up until I can figure it out.

OB1

When my wife had the death wobble we couldn't find the cause and ended up putting on a heavy duty stabilizer and hasn't happened since.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
When my wife had the death wobble we couldn't find the cause and ended up putting on a heavy duty stabilizer and hasn't happened since.

Even so a SS only covers up the problem. Which I don't mind for a short term fix but I need to do everything I can to find the source.

sixstringsteve

^^^ agreed, it's just a bandaid. Sounds like it might be time to get that long arm kit before the rubicon. :D

nothing is going to prevent you from running hanging tree. I love it.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
^^^ agreed, it's just a bandaid. Sounds like it might be time to get that long arm kit before the rubicon. :D

nothing is going to prevent you from running hanging tree. I love it.

Absolutely not, my wrist is in serious pain right now too but that's not going to stop me from fixing this and getting on this run.

If I have to put on a SS I will have to make a bracket for the driver side since there is not room anymore on the passenger side. Luckily I've already found a design for a bracket that will work with my tie rod and my new drag link.

And I wish I could swing the long arm kit right now, I would if I could.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Pulled my trac bar off today and inspected it. Everything looked and felt fine. The only problem was a factory problem.

Jeep in all their infinite wisdom used 14mm bolts for all trac bar and lower control arm bolts. The problem is they also made the holes just a hair too big .3mm to be exact 9/16" bolts are a much tighter fit. I replaced the trac bar bolts with some grade 8 9/16" bolts. I still have my DW so tomorrow I will remove/inspect all the lower control arms and replace the bolts with the proper size. If that doesn't do it I will move to the uppers and replace those bolts as well.

I've already made a bracket for my steering stabilizer so once I fix the problem or if I get too close to saturday and have not fixed it, I will put it on either way.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
More specs on what you're running for arrms? I'm running 4" with 37's on short arms. Had death wobble one time, but a simple adjustmnt corrected it. And you're right, even with no stabilizer you shouldn't get the wobblies. I'll wager it's a caster issue.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
stock arms, 2" spacer but almost stock ride height due to heavy bumper and winch. Been running this setup since December. with this full on DW it is most certainly something worn. Once all my bolts are replaced I will get an alignment done, since I could probably stand to have it done anyway.

RockChucker

I have fought DW in my Jeep since the day I bought it 5 years ago. I have found that a loose track bar is the number one culprit for me. Whether than is a sloppy bolt, or even a bushing that has gone soft and has excess play in it. My balljoints were also shot, and replacing those made it way better. I hear good things about the synergy ball joints. Good luck. It is a frustrating thing. My fix now is a 60. haha

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Well I can't figure this out. I've replaced all my bolts with the proper size for no play and torqued everything to spec. I've inspected everything to the best of my ability and I still get the DW. I also dont have enough room for a steering stabilizer on the driver side, and the passenger side is going to be just as tight once the new drag link is installed.

I've checked my ball joints, TRE's, trac bar, control arms, unit bearings. Everything is tight, I know I'm missing something or else I wouldn't have this problem. My sector shaft looks fine but with out taking the pitman arm off I guess there is no good way to tell. So maybe that will be my next step.

So far the only possitive thing is that at anything over 20mph I haven't found a pot hole big enough to make it go into a DW. I guess I'll keep chasing this ghost and in the mean time I will just dodge pot holes.