'97 tacoma build: Abner

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
i have a 3m eraser wheel if you want to borrow it, since they are kinda spendy to buy and use once. it has to be one of my favorite tools for sure. pull the emblems off and it will take seconds to strip the glue off.

i work in slc and live in wj, you're welcome to snag it from me at either location and get it back to me whenever.

Lifelong Jeeper

I like the lower stance on 35's. I'm planning on similar tubbing on my ZJ when I get my 37's and 60's under it so thanks for the complete and detailed write up on how to do it right.

sixstringsteve

Well, I got to take it out its shakedown run this weekend. We went to rattlesnake and then the pony express trail over to little sahara.

In the past, I always thought that OME were the "wannabe" lift, for people who didn't really want to crawl, and they wanted a plug and play lift for cheap that didn't really take any risks. Well, after about 200 miles on my OME suspension this weekend, I feel confident saying it's the best suspension I've had on any of my vehicles. The rear springs flex like crazy, and they work really well in conjunction with the front springs. I was able to go a lot faster and stay in control on the fire roads. It crawled really well to. I'm really surprised more people don't use OME, even if they're just using it for a crawler. I'm really impressed.

There were a few bugs to work out: I still don't have rear bumpstops, so the tires were in the rear fenders... a lot. I'm not sure if I want to limit uptravel or trim the fenders more. I lost about an inch of lift in the rear, probably due to the springs breaking in by me taking them way past negative arch.

Although the truck did REALLY well, I still need lower t-case gears. So I'll most likely be going with a doubler of some sort. I'm probably going to get the TG doubler.

This is the best overall driving vehicle I've owned yet. It cruises down the freeway no problem, gets good MPG, is fun to drive, crawls really well, and blasts down fire roads really well. I've had rigs that crawled better, and rigs that did the freeway better, but this is a great all-around experience. I'm not dissappointed at all with the performance in any area.

I also realized that I can't live without a sleeping platform in the back. even though hole in the rock is less than a week away, I'm going to try to get a functional (not perfected) sleeping platform back there.

Here are a few pics:
IMG_2407.JPG

IMG_2416.JPG

the 4 toyotas on the trip:
IMG_2418.JPG

check out the sweet glasses the BLM gave us.
IMG_2420.JPG

IMG_2428.JPG

IMG_2429.JPG

IMG_2432.JPG

IMG_2433.JPG

sixstringsteve

So, with only 3 days to work on the truck between now and Hole in the Rock, I had to get busy. So I started on the sleeping platform. The design will be the same as my last truck, with a couple changes. I'm going to make the storage compartment tall enough to fit some small action packers in it. This will reduce the headroom in the sleeping area by about 2". It doesn't sound like much, but it'll be noticeable. If I simply can't stand it, I'll be able to lower the platform down a few inches. It'll be interesting to see if it's easier or harder without a bedliner in it.

IMG_2440.JPG

The little action packers are just under a foot tall.
IMG_2441.JPG

The fenders are about 9" tall.
IMG_2442.JPG

IMG_2443.JPG

It's surprising how long it takes to do all the measuring and designing.

IMG_2444.JPG

IMG_2445.JPG

IMG_2446.JPG

You can see how much taller it is compared to my last platform:
IMG_1421.JPG

It's time to call it a night. I'm pretty sleep deprived and it's starting to affect my work, I may just screw a big sheet of plywood to the top of it for our trip. we'll see what happens.

Last edited:

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Abner looks great. I'm still amazed at how fast you get things done. I also like how you post pictures. Our filter at work cuts most pics out but yours always show up.

sixstringsteve

Abner looks great. I'm still amazed at how fast you get things done. I also like how you post pictures. Our filter at work cuts most pics out buh yours alway.s show up.

THanks. I'm glad you can see the pics. My work blocks every picture site except Picasa.

I'm afraid I'm working too fast to be honest. Everything feels like a rush. Fortunately I've been able to stick to my aggressive schedule. Even though Im working fast, I'm not cutting corners.

Still to do this week:
- wire up elocker
- install rear bump stops (and possibly recut rear fenders)
- get the sleeping platform usable
- paint rear upper shackle mounts
- install front skid

Last edited:

Bart

Love the way the truck turned out. Looks very functional and capable. HITR will be a great first camp trip. Enjoy.

sixstringsteve

Man, tonight was the coldest night I've spent working on this truck. It's only 32*, but it feels like 5*.

For some reason it took forever to route the wires.
IMG_2448.JPG

IMG_2451.JPG

IMG_2453.JPG

IMG_2454.JPG

IMG_2455.JPG

Then it was time to go test it. And it worked first try! Always a good sign. It locked just like it was supposed to, and unlocked just like it was supposed to. Many thanks to Cris at Low Range. He was extremely helpful in getting all the right wires and connections. He has a great thing going with this ARB switch --> elocker wiring.

IMG_2456.JPG

IMG_2457.JPG

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
It's about time you wire an e-locker in one of your trucks:rofl:

I know his pain... I carried a cordless drill battery with some short wire pieces taped to the terminals with me for months to engage/disengage an elocker in one of my rigs. Just crawl under the rig every time you need the locker!:p