'97 tacoma build: Abner

sixstringsteve

yeah, I had those on my last toyota. They kind of chewed up my shell though. The fiberglass starting getting worn where the clamps attach.

sixstringsteve

I found the hook bolts at lowes. They fit perfectly.

IMAG0175.jpg

Thanks guys!

IMAG0176.jpg

sixstringsteve

Thanks Rick!

I got the pass inner fender in last night. It still needs a little massaging, but it's functional. Abner is finally ready to hit the trail!

There are plenty of things to do before hole in the rock, but it's wheelable now. Hopefully I can wire the elocker before tomorrow's trip, but if not, it's not the end of the world. If I can't make it through rattlesnake without a locker, I don't deserve to wheel in the first place.

One more pic from yesterday. It's not the best looking truck in the world, but I think it turned out pretty good.
IMAG0177.jpg

I'd like to paint the wheels black (way too much bling right now), and probably paint the shell black someday, but those are not priorities at this point. I'm hoping to get back from the service project in time to build my sleeping platform this Saturday night.

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
Ive always removed emblems by sharpening the end of a wood paint stir stick like a chisel then get under the emblem and push, takes them off without scratches, then eraser wheel the leftover crap

sixstringsteve

I'm not familiar with an eraser wheel. Is it a gummy wheel for an angle grinder? kinda like a pencil eraser? Where do I get one?

sixstringsteve

Time for another 1 AM update.

I got half the locker wiring done today. Lowrangeoffroad has a cool solution for elocker wiring. They have wiring that matches the toyota colors, which is really nice. They'll be selling entire plug and play kits eventually, but for now I just wanted the wiring and the ARB style switch.

IMAG0179.jpg

they even got their name printed on the wires.
IMAG0178.jpg

IMAG0181.jpg

IMAG0183.jpg

IMAG0185.jpg

IMG_2401.JPG

IMG_2402.JPG

I doubt I'm going to have time to wire the locker before tomorrow's trip, but I'll do my best at lunch time.