'97 tacoma build: Abner

Cascadia

Undecided
Don't you hate when you get something done and get excited to take a pic and the flash shows all dust in the air from your work. So you try with the flash off but it's too dark. I can still see it good enough that I know it looks awesome. Nice work Steve.

sixstringsteve

You'll love those KM2's, I think your CV axles will like them better than the Treps too. Need help with anything?

it's funny, the KM2s with wheels weighed less than the treps alone. I'm a HUGE fan of KM2s, I've had 'em on my last 4 rigs with zero complaints. I don't think I NEED help with anything, it should all be easy stuff now. But if you wanna hang out tomorrow night, you're welcome to swing by.

sixstringsteve

Don't you hate when you get something done and get excited to take a pic and the flash shows all dust in the air from your work. So you try with the flash off but it's too dark. I can still see it good enough that I know it looks awesome. Nice work Steve.

I was wondering why the hood was so dusty, then I remembered: I took the fenders off to do all the tubbing, so they stayed clean. Everything else is covered in a fine film of metal dust. Looking forward to washing the truck.

sixstringsteve

the wheels stick out a bit too much for jonny law. I'm thinking I'll need to have some sort of fender flare eventually. I have a solution, but it's top secret because I need more spares before they disappear.

sixstringsteve

The list is getting shorter.

to-do list for today:
- install elocker guard and new drain plugs
- trim front bumper
- finish rear lower shock mounts and install with appropriate washers
- trim rear fenders
- put the interior back together, modify the kick panels
- paint pass inner front fender
- install plastic inner fenders

In the next week:
- wire elocker
- install rear bump stops
- adjust clutch pedal height
- cap my sliders
- paint and install front skids (this can wait)

ricsrx

Steve you are knocking out some great work in that small garage. I enjoy watching your builds

D

Deleted member 12904

the wheels stick out a bit too much for jonny law. I'm thinking I'll need to have some sort of fender flare eventually. I have a solution, but it's top secret because I need more spares before they disappear.

Why not run fiberglass?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

I got a lot of little things buttoned up yesterday.

Painted the size bezels:
IMG_2376.JPG

After lots of persuasion and help from a million zip ties and a propane torch, I was able to reuse the factory inner fenders to block mud/snow. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than nothing. I"m surprised how much the heat helped me shape the plastic into the shape I wanted.
IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2378.JPG

IMG_2379.JPG

IMG_2380.JPG

IMG_2381.JPG

sixstringsteve

and then I filled up the rear diff and took it for a test drive to break in the R&P. It drives great. Still a lot of little things to button up before the shakedown run on Friday, but at least I can drive it to work and start looking for a shell to fit.

It looks so weird to me to see a toyota with such a short wheelbase. I wish it were 5" longer. It looks a little goofy with such big tires. It drive great though.

IMG_2382.JPG

IMG_2383.JPG

IMG_2384.JPG

IMG_2385.JPG

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

looks good.. when you sas (with 4 link) just move the axle forward..10 inches lol

:) not gunna happen. I may not even put a crawl box in it. Its not much of a rockcrawler, but it'll be great for camping and exploring. I am going to take it on the rubicon this September though.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I think it looks great with the short wheelbase and big tires and wheels. I've seen a few standard cabs like that with mild lift and big tires lately. They really turn my head.