'97 tacoma build: Abner

sixstringsteve

Thanks, I'm loving this truck. It drives really well and the short wheelbase is a lot more fun around town. It kind of reminds me of a truck version of my miata.

sixstringsteve

I broke in the front gears, and I got the lower shock mounts done tonight. Not much left to do before the shakedown run this weekend:

- wire locker
- install rear bump stops
- trim rear fenders
- button up the interior
- install inner pass side front fender

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I got quite a bit done on my lunch break.

Before:
IMG_2390.JPG

I cut it back about 4"
IMG_2391.JPG

IMG_2393.JPG

IMG_2394.JPG

IMG_2395.JPG

I was able to re-use the stock inner plastic fender, although I did have to cut about 6" off the bottom.
IMG_2396.JPG

IMG_2397.JPG

and the final product:
IMG_2398.JPG

Now I can do my rear bumps tonight.

sixstringsteve

I got a new shell for it tonight. It was off a 3rd gen pickup (89-95) and it fits perfectly. I need to find a good way to mount it to the bed without using those goofy clamps.

IMG_2400.JPG

IMG_2399.JPG

sixstringsteve

Nice find.

Thanks. I've been looking for weeks. There were one or two really nice ones that I missed out on, but this one is great. I found it on craigslist, but the seller only spoke Spanish. That's got to be the only reason it was still available when I looked at it. I fumbled through in Spanish and we worked out a deal. He was a super nice guy.

sixstringsteve

Here's what I've got to work with:

IMAG0174.jpg

Any ideas? The bolt goes through the shell, but the bed rail isn't wide enough at this part for the bolt to pass through it. I'm thinking of mounting some tabs with angle-iron but I'd love an easier solution. Any ideas? If I could find a nut with a hook on the end that'd be great.

pELYgroso

'Merica
you can get bolts with hooks on the end. They're for tightening down truck tool boxes. Also, I like the shell! For some reason I like the look of shells on Toyota pickups, especially the ones that rise up a few inches higher than the cab. Are you going to build a sleeping platform?

sixstringsteve

you can get bolts with hooks on the end. They're for tightening down truck tool boxes.

Where do I get these? I'm having a hard time visualizing it. The hook goes under the bed lip, and the bolt goes through the shell and the nut on top?

Are you going to build a sleeping platform?

You know it! once you have a truck with a sleeping platform you can never go back. I hope to have it functional before HITR, but it won't be covered in carpet or anything fancy by then.