'97 tacoma build: Abner

sixstringsteve

honestly, it's at the bottom of my priority list before the Rubicon. I'm curious to see how yours turns out. I may just try to find a more efficient way to disconnect the stock swaybar.

sixstringsteve

assuming I get my truck back from Chocflip's place tonight (he is putting the finishing touches on my bumper), I'm going to be doing a little shakedown run this Saturday. I'm thinking snakes because AF Canyon will be way too busy. Anyone who reads this, let me know if you'd like to join me.

sixstringsteve

I got my bumper back from chocflip. He did an incredible job. Talk about attention to detail. I'll get some pics up a little later.

Today's to-do list:
- install cd deck
- install cb radio
- install rubber shift boots
- install sliders
- add tow points to bumper
- tie side of bumper into frame plate

sixstringsteve

I only got half as much done as I would have liked.

Here's a pic of the fruity slider tags that TG welds to all their sliders now. If TG had a better logo I'd keep 'em, but their logo is so fruity.

IMG_2799.JPG

Here's the beautiful bumper chocflip made me. I REALLY like it. All it needs are some recovery points and some tie-ins for the side pieces. Currently they're not tied to the frame plates. This thing is way beefier than the old Allpro bumper I had on my last taco.

IMG_2800.JPG

IMG_2801.JPG

Super beefy tow hitch behind the license plate:

IMG_2802.JPG

IMG_2803.JPG

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I got the stereo installed.

IMG_2804.JPG

Then I installed and tuned the CB. My SWR is at 1.8 all across the board. I'm hoping to tune it more later. I'd like to be in the 1-1.2 range. Surprisingly, I had to cut off at least an inch of my antenna to be balanced across ch 1 and ch 40.

I had to do something about the tranny tunnel. With the open holes for the shifters, I was getting tons of exhaust noise, heat, and fumes. It wasn't a good combination. I decided to use what I had: an old semi-truck mud flap.

IMG_2806.JPG

IMG_2807.JPG

IMG_2808.JPG

sixstringsteve

I got a hurst shifter boot from o'riley. It's pretty thin, but it does the job. I cut the stock boot in half and used it for the tranny and rear t-case.

IMG_2809.JPG

Interior is done for the night.

IMG_2811.JPG

I'll eventually build a cover for the tranny tunnel. I'll have my wife sew me up some vinyl shift boots that look closer to factory. But for now, I don't get any heat, noise, or fumes through the tranny, so I can drive it around at least.

I was hoping to get the sliders done tonight, but all I got around to was the rear diff armor. Tomorrow night will be slider night. Oh how I hate welding sliders on... Still a lot to do before the shakedown run this weekend.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Cool. I'll be starting the sliders tonight at 5:30 PM. If you don't have anything better going on, I'd love some company.

4biker

I only got half as much done as I would have liked.

Here's the beautiful bumper chocflip made me. I REALLY like it. All it needs are some recovery points and some tie-ins for the side pieces. Currently they're not tied to the frame plates. This thing is way beefier than the old Allpro bumper I had on my last taco.

IMG_2801.JPG

I dig that bumper! I wish I liked tube bumpers on 4Runners, because Tacomas look great like that. It's weird with the TG sliders - the way they welded on the plate doesn't even look great, and it's going to be a pain to make it look like it was never there. Maybe you could cut it out and replace it with perforated or expanded metal to keep the same welds in place. You're better with metal than I am, so do what you feel! :D

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
I got a hurst shifter boot from o'riley. It's pretty thin, but it does the job. I cut the stock boot in half and used it for the tranny and rear t-case.

IMG_2809.JPG

Interior is done for the night.

IMG_2811.JPG

I'll eventually build a cover for the tranny tunnel. I'll have my wife sew me up some vinyl shift boots that look closer to factory. But for now, I don't get any heat, noise, or fumes through the tranny, so I can drive it around at least.

I was hoping to get the sliders done tonight, but all I got around to was the rear diff armor. Tomorrow night will be slider night. Oh how I hate welding sliders on... Still a lot to do before the shakedown run this weekend.
Hey, long as it works!
There is a reason why the doors are off the bronco and the top is rolled up lol
keep up the good work!

sixstringsteve

To-do before the Rubicon:

Immediate stuff:
- install bucket seats
- install duals w/skidplate/crossmember
- get driveshafts modified (shorten rear, lengthen front, build a spare rear)
- extend speedometer
- remove old sliders

- install new sliders
- install diff drop kit
- flush front diff
- install budbuilt skids
- install rear diff armor
- add tow points to bumper
- tie side of bumper into frame plate

Not as crucial, but still nice to have:
- install new CB/Antenna
- install cd player