'97 tacoma build: Abner

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
A/C to me is near priceless! I went the rounds with my '87 and sure glad I did, it has made it so much more inviting to drive and sit in while geeking out on the Droid.

In regards to CV's. I have never broken one. I've rebuilt them due to ripped boots but have never exploded a tulip in either my '87 or '97. I have however, blown the R&P on my '97 and a buddy grenanded his IFS R&P on his '95 4Runner. It's just like wheeling with stock Birfs. Be gentle when you are bound up and stay off the gas when the wheel is cranked to the extreme.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I have to say since I've put the top and doors back on the Jeep I have really been enjoying the AC. Completly worth it. Especially for that long drive across Nevada.

Bart

I'll run the AC in the TJ (top off) on hot days when I'm on the trail and it makes a difference. Above 20 mph it doesn't help a lot.

Box Rocket

bored
Steve, I haven't been over to this board in a long time but glad I came over to look today. I knew you'd been messing around with this truck but you've done A LOT more than i was aware of. Nice work. You've got me wanting to tub for 35's on mine. :)

Also, bright minds think alike. I had no idea you added rear seats. I did the same on my DC. I replaced my stock buckets and used them in the bed. I found the same thing you did, they are a little too tall. But I use them for my 10 and 11 year old boys so they fit ok, but if adults sit back there I need too for something different. I'll have to see if I can find some tracker seats.

The other crazy thing is that I found this thread because I was looking for a 4Runner rollbar to use for a shade canopy over my bed seats and lo and behold here's your truck not only with the bed seats but with a 4Runner bar back there too. Hope you don't think I'm trying to copy you but nice work. I'll try to do mine a little differently so it's not too obvious.

Here's my seats.
seats3.jpg

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I saw you on the freeway today heading north on I-15. I love.your truck. Let me know when you're ready to tub those fenders and I'll give you a hand.

Haha, I read your thread before installing my seats, so if anyone is copying anyone, it's me copying you. Copy all you want. I love the.split tracker seats in the rear
The only bummer is that the headrests dont go up as jifh as id like. If i have a tall guy sitting back there and i run into something head-on, his neck is going to snap, or his head will fly yhrough the window, or both.

sixstringsteve

Just got back from a trip on the Rubicon. I had an absolute blast:

_BRI0043.JPG

I got stuck once and had to be pulled out by a Jeep (thanks LHRacing).

_BRI0117.JPG

_BRI0310.JPG

_BRI0360.JPG

_BRI0364.JPG

_BRI0593.JPG

IMG_0566.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0583.JPG

It's definitely time for a new front bumper, this one is hammered. I was surprised that the Rubicon wasn't as challenging as I thought. Apparently there's been a crew up there doing "erosion control". More like "rock removal to make the trail easier." It was still my favorite trail I've ever been on. I'm so glad this truck was able to complete it without any issues.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

The seasons are starting to change, and it's time to build another sleeping platform and throw the shell back on. This time I'm going with a lighter weight metal instead of 2x4s. I'll be working on it tonight if anyone wants to swing by. Details are top-secret until it's done.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

There isn't enough room. The bed is just barely long enough to sleep in. The seats will fold down and theyll be under the platform.

GAR

Look good on the trail! Can't wait to see what you come up with for the sleeping platform