'97 tacoma build: Abner

sixstringsteve

As you can imagine, I was a little preoccupied with driving and avoiding body on this trip. :D I didn't have time to film myself. Plus, editing videos takes more time than the actual trail run, so I'm being selective on what I film and what I don't.

Don't hold your breath for the Rubicon either. We'll be in a hurry to get through a busy trail, so we probably wan't have a ton of time for different camera angles and all that.

sixstringsteve

Only if you bring a spare. ;)

As long as you bring your blue shackle, my front hook will work just fine. :D I'm going to clearance it out just a little to fit my current shackle.

I'll be adding some on the back, though the bumper has a few points that work. Eventually I'll build a new front bumper, so I don't want to spend too much time modifying what I want.

sixstringsteve

I think that dent was there before???

I can't tell for sure, but I don't think it was dented when I bought it:

IMAG0177.jpg

but it looks like it was dented before you built the bumper:
IMG_2800.JPG

Last edited:

ricsrx

Steve I am impressed that you would push this truck the way you have, I hope that you not to disappointed with all the body damage.

sixstringsteve

pretty awesome what your doing in your rig!

Thanks James. So far the IFS hasn't held me back. I love it. I wish I could afford a front locker, but I can't, so I'll make do with what I've got. I don't plan on taking this on any more hardcore trails anytime soon, so i should be fine.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Thanks James. So far the IFS hasn't held me back. I love it. I wish I could afford a pfront locker, but I can't, so I'll make do with what I've got. I don't plan on taking this on any more hardcore trails anytime soon, so i should be fine.

You went into this build knowing that it was not meant for hardcore wheeling though. The fact that it can on the other hand is cool though.

Seems like you are on the road to hanging on to this one longer than your previous rigs and that is a good thing. You have done a great job building an all around all purpose rig that CAN do more than you really want to ask of it.

sixstringsteve

Exactly. I love this rig. I'll be doing the ball joints this weekend, then rebalancing the wheels, then it'll be ready for the Rubicon.

zukijames

Thanks James. So far the IFS hasn't held me back. I love it. I wish I could afford a front locker, but I can't, so I'll make do with what I've got. I don't plan on taking this on any more hardcore trails anytime soon, so i should be fine.

i would not get a front locker unless you plan on getting good at changing cv's

maybe an air locker ..but i still think you'd blow stuff up..

my friend tony on here had like an 84 with pretty worn 35's and he could do more with the front open then locked..

when he had it locked he just blew shafts .

and thats a lighter truck with stronger shafts..

sixstringsteve

From the research I've done, the weakest link is the spider gears. I know a guy who blew through 3 sets of spider gears on 37s
Then he got an arb front locker, which replaced the old spider gears. He hasn't broken a shaft yet, bit I agree that the cv s would then be the next weak link. I don't hammer down so I'm sure I could keep it together. I think a front locker would end up putting less stress on the drivetrain in the end.

4biker

From the research I've done, the weakest link is the spider gears. I know a guy who blew through 3 sets of spider gears on 37s
Then he got an arb front locker, which replaced the old spider gears. He hasn't broken a shaft yet, bit I agree that the cv s would then be the next weak link. I don't hammer down so I'm sure I could keep it together. I think a front locker would end up putting less stress on the drivetrain in the end.

I've heard the same thing. I've thrown around the idea of getting an ARB up front and the consensus is that it's scary, but ultimately there is less stress with more control. It's on my list now but who knows when it will happen.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I don't hammer down so I'm sure I could keep it together. I think a front locker would end up putting less stress on the drivetrain in the end.

I have wheeled with you a few times and feel confident you could keep it alive. You are not too hard on stuff and know when to back off.

sixstringsteve

My last tacoma was wrecked due to a lower ball joint failure, a common weakness for 4runners and tacomas. Add big tires and wheel spacers, and they see even more stress. Since the original lower ball joints have 175k on them, I decided to replace them with some factory toyota ball joints this weekend. Pretty simple swap, I was expecting it to be terrible, but it didn't take long.

The A/C has never worked for as long as I've owned this rig, and my mechanic told me that the evap cooler inside the dash is leaking. So it needs to be replaced. The part is about $200...

So now the question is, do I pay $500 for working a/c to/from the Rubicon, or do I sweat it out 'till next summer??? $500 is a lot, and my windows do roll down...

Last edited: