'97 tacoma build: Abner

sixstringsteve

That is way cool.

I wouldn't use vinyl, it likes to expand and contract with the air temp. Google for marine canvas or Sunforger.

I already bought my army/navy tarp for it (like you suggested). I need to get the rear seats and seatbelts in by this weekend, along with the budbuilt front skidplate.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Oh, that'll work too. I was out there last week and they were a lot more expensive than I remembered being, so I didn't want to resuggest it... :)

sixstringsteve

I used hrew for the b pillar, a stock 4runner bar for the c pillar, and lowes irrigation pipe for the horizonatal connecting pieces. It would have been cheaper to just use HREW for everything but the 4runner bar.

4biker

That looks really clean and functional. I love that you can unbolt it and still put your shell. Very factory-esque

sixstringsteve

Got the seats semi-installed last night. Still trying to decide on how I want to attach the canopy. Half of me wants to cover the entire bed, and the other half just wants the bikini top style. I think it'd be a lot easier to get in and out if it were the bikini style.

IMG_2899.JPG

IMG_2900.JPG

IMG_2901.JPG

IMG_2904.JPG

The seats fold down and tumble individually. I can still get my sleeping platform to fit over them when they're folded down, so that's good.

IMG_2905.JPG

IMG_2906.JPG

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

to-do before tomorrow's shakedown run:

- install front skidplate
- install rear seatbelts
- tune CB antenna

nice-to-do's
- trim the bikini top to fit
- install the rear seat rear mounts
- mud flaps

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Steve,

I've been meaning to ask, who are you planning on using those seats? Planning to use them while wheeling or just trying to make the perfect drive in movie rig?

sixstringsteve

Steve,

I've been meaning to ask, who are you planning on using those seats? Planning to use them while wheeling or just trying to make the perfect drive in movie rig?

I'm planning to use the seats all the time. DD, camping, wheeling, scouting, family, friends. I have a few friends who want to tag along on my trips, but they don't have a rig. Until now, I didn't have room for them.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
So, what a lot of guys do is cut the tarp, and then hem the end over a decent size piece of rope, which they use for a drawstring to kinda gather the end of the tarp around the roll bar, and keep it from flapping in the wind. Then another pair of lines or straps to the rear corners of the bed keep the whole thing taut.

Looking good, though. You've got me wanting to do the same thing with my roll bar now.

sixstringsteve

I'm thinking about cutting the tarp and adding some grommets to it. Then I can zip-tie it to the bar. If I don't use zip-ties, I'll use an adjustable strap like a jansport backpack.

chans

I bet you could get a Jeep bikini top and mount the windshield "anchor" to the top of your front overhead bar and have a "canned" solution?

This would be a great idea. The size of the cage looks exactly like my old CJ2A roll cage that I mounted a bikini top to. Like he said, mount the channel on the front bar with the snaps on the side and then tie the two back straps to your hold down D-rings at the back corners of the bed. Only cost me 45.00 for a Best Top bikini top. Keep the tarp if you decide you also want a full top later on.

stpatrickandstgeorge164.jpg

Last edited: