'97 tacoma build: Abner

sixstringsteve

I did it for you James ;) But seriously, I totally agree. I think the next step in the evolution of people's understanding is realizing that their stock 4x4 can take them 90% of the places they want to go.

IFS tacos are tippy enough as it is, I don't need a higher COG getting me even more tippy :D

But this rig isn't really a rockcrawler. It's more of a "jack of all trades, master of none" type of rig. It'll be ok as a daily driver, pretty good as a camping rig, ok at high speed washboard roads, and ok at crawling. I'm still taking it to the Rubicon this fall though, I'm not letting the IFS hold me back.

zukijames

lift on anything sucks lol passed a "sweet" dodge on the freeway yesterday doing 55 for one it was a gas dodge so gutless and horrible gas mileage and it was so tall and unstable he could barley keep it on the road..

My zuk could do 65 down the highway if i had a hill to go down.. after i bent my steering it wasn't as great but yeah low cog is good for anything.. thats why your old mazda was fun to drive lol

when im rich my tow rig will be a lowered duramax lol

some stuff can be cool tall if its done right

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Since it was a busy night in midvale last night, and I just woke up :D I expect lots of pics Steve!! I wanted to come help mostly for my gain of learning :greg: since i'm still torn on going taco or full-size. But unfortunately I have to work again in a few hours, keep us posted because

ThisThreadIsWorthlessWithoutPics.gif

sixstringsteve

A HUGE thanks to all who helped me today. Thanks to Eric for helping me clean my garage, along with Chance. Thanks for Willy for sticking around and helping me weld up my sheet metal and for being a good welding student. It looks like you've got it down buddy. Anytime you need to weld something, come on over.

We started out cleaning the garage. Then we pulled the truck in and went to town. Eric and Chance took off the outer fender.

IMG_2318.JPG

Then the strut.
IMG_2319.JPG

Then I drew up a plan of where I though I'd need to cut. This is how far I've always trimmed 4runners and tacomas. It's a bit much, but you might as well do it once instead of twice later down the road.
[imghttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-F8FsP_ZwqMQ/T0nAjEftv-I/AAAAAAAAIdA/A__p746RTz8/s800/IMG_2320.JPG[/img]

Then I drilled holes along the orange line so I could see where it corresponded with the interior.
IMG_2323.JPG

IMG_2321.JPG

It is especially important to make sure everything's out of the way (especially wires) before you start cutting. Also, there's a foam chunk in near the kick panel that you want to remove, or it'll catch on fire. Ask me how I know. :D

IMG_2322.JPG

step one of the cutting. It's quite a few layers thick here.
IMG_2325.JPG

IMG_2326.JPG

I had to cut the slider back as well.
IMG_2327.JPG

sixstringsteve

Then we put the tire on and did a test-fit at full bump. Remember, the goal is to get 35's to fit at full bump. So it'll fit 35's with zero lift.

IMG_2330.JPG

IMG_2329.JPG

On my last taco, this bump below the battery was in the way too.
IMG_2332.JPG

Chance went at it with the sledge and it's not going to be a problem now. It was scary how easy that one was to dent in.

sixstringsteve

Then we test-fitted the tire again and turned from left to right with the a-arm on the bumps. It was rubbing, but only a little. We were close, but I don't want any rub. Also, these tires are worn down to about 80% tread, so I wanted to clearance it enough that when I replaced these with new tires one day (hopefully far in the future), then the deeper tread of the new ones wouldn't be rubbing either.

IMG_2333.JPG

It was actually rubbing the body mount.
IMG_2334.JPG

IMG_2335.JPG

so we trimmed it. and it fit. I'll get a better pic of the trimmed body mount later.
IMG_2336.JPG]

it clears!
IMG_2337.JPG

Then I made a template out of paper, traced it to the 22 GA sheet metal, and patched it up with Willy's help. Willy was in the cab with a squirt bottle putting out any fires that started. The undercoating is everywhere, and it likes to catch on fire.
IMG_2338.JPG

I didn't lose much room in the footwell at all. In fact, I was able to retain the factory clip for the kick panel (although that kick panel will have to be trimmed to fit now).
IMG_2339.JPG

IMG_2340.JPG

IMG_2341.JPG

IMG_2342.JPG

sixstringsteve

Oddly enough, it doesn't rub the front bumper one bit. No trimming required there, which is nice. I'm curious if it'll rub the washer bottle reservoir. I hope not, but I'm guessing it will. We'll see.

This update isn't all that exciting unless you plan on doing this to your rig, or unless you were there today. I was so happy that I completed welding one side by the end of tonight. The other side will go a lot quicker now that I can base it off the driver's side.

Next steps

1) repeat for passenger side
2) paint with self-etching primer
3) seal the seams
4) herculine inside and out
5) cap the sliders
6) trim the outer fenders so they don't rub the tires (I imagine these will need quite a bit of trimming)

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Looks great Steve, if I end up going the taco route i'll have to invite you over to my messy garage :thumbs:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
This update isn't all that exciting unless you plan on doing this to your rig, or unless you were there today.

On the contrary. I wasn't there, and I don't imagine myself ever having the cojones to hack into a rig with such gusto. It's still impressive to see how you work, so keep the pics coming!

WillyLin

very interesting. I'm curious how cv axles and stock ball joints are gonna like 35's

I think having the mannual hub helps a lot, only engage front drive line when needed will save CV's life a lot

here's some pictures i took too..

cutting
IMAG0812.jpg

IMAG0813.jpg

these metals catch on fire quite easily..
IMAG0815.jpg

IMAG0817.jpg

zukijames

steve if the tire just barley clears isn't going to hit when compressed or in the pics of it barley clearing is that at compressed sorry i probably missed something

sixstringsteve

very interesting. I'm curious how cv axles and stock ball joints are gonna like 35's

Me too. My last taco had 35's and IFS, and the weak link was the lower ball joint. However, I think my lower ball joints were bad before I even lifted it, so that's kind of a wash.

The guys running 37's on IFS are finding out that the weak link is the spider gears in the front diff. But you bring up a great point, CV's and ball joints aren't going to like me very much. The angle of my CV is good, since I didn't lift it too much. And I won't have a front locker, so hopefully that helps. But I will have a spare set of CV's with me on the gnarly trails. My current ball joints are like new, so we'll see how long the last. The upper ball joints have been replaced with some uber-beefy aftermarket ones that are integrated into the specialty products UCAs.