'97 tacoma build: Abner

sixstringsteve

Still struggling to decide on gearing. I can return my gears now, before I install them, and swap 'em out for some 5.29s. But I do care about MPG more than power. I doubt that 250 RPM will affect MPG that much, but I'd like as much MPG as I can get.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
FWIW: I've never run your combo before but I really think you will regret not stuffing 5.29's in there.

x2 if it were the 3.4 V6 no problem on 35's and 4.88's. But just for day to day and to/on the trail drivability I second the regret on 4.88's. My lady put 4.88's in hers to save gas as she was using it for a DD for a long time (given it is a 22R not the 2.7) but she's regretting the decision and getting ready to pay someone to put the 5.29's in, especially after we pick up your tires :D Your going to have to push the motor harder with 4.88's which will probably use as much fuel as the slightly higher rpms of the 5.29's, but be easier on the motor.

chans

I would think 4.88s would be fine unless you are planning on driving up Parleys a lot. I have 4.10s in mine with 33s and I can go 90+ on the freeway and only have to downshift into 4th on steeper hills. I can still drive Parleys in 4th doing 55-60mph. You got to remember that the 2.7 has at least 50 more HP then the 22r motors.

sixstringsteve

Great feedback Chris. Do you have the 2.7 or the 3.4? 5 speed or auto?

I drove it with 3.59's and 31's, and it bogged a bit, but still had plenty of power to scoot around on the freeway in 5th. I never had to downshift to 4th.

It's got 4.10s and 31's right now, and it feels even better. I really like this 2.7 motor, it's quite peppy and has plenty of power for me. Also, when it revs up to 3000 or so, it doesn't feel like it's revving high like a sami or 22re might. It feels like its comfortable in the 3k range.

cackalak

Just as the poster above said, higher RPM's does not necessarily mean more fuel, because there are other factors. ie, a fella with a Honda reported better MPG's with 4.9FD vs stock (can't remember, but he was at 500rpm's higher with 4.9). Went from 29 mpg to 31 mpg. You may experience the same with the lower gearing.

sixstringsteve

yeah, I understand. I'm just hoping to hear from some people who have been running a similar setup, otherwise I'm just guessing at what would be best.

I know most guys are getting 15 MPG with 35's and 5.29s

I'm getting 22 now, so that's a big drop. I realize any rig with 35's is going to take a hit in the MPG department, but I'm hoping to be able to get 18+MPG on the freeway.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I finally made a decision. I'm the type of guy who has to read the entire menu at a restaurant 50 times before I know what I want. :)

I think I want 4.88s. Hopefully I can get my gears installed next week and be able to test this thing out at rattlesnake in an upcoming weekend (17th?)

Last edited:

pELYgroso

'Merica
Steve, I could be wrong but I think I've read somewhere that 5.29's and 35's are closer to stock ratio than 4.88's and 35's. In my 'runner I have 5.29's and 35's and the speedo is EXACTLY correct driving down the road. That tells me that I'm at my stock R&P to tire size ratio. When it comes down to it, you'll probably get a little better mileage on the freeway going 60mph with 4.88's, but everywhere else (around town, accelerating) the 5.29's will give you better mpg's because your engine will not have to work as hard to push the 35's. Personally, I would stick with the 5.29's. 4.88's are good for 33's but IMO, not quite low enough for 35's.

side note: my '86 runner with 22re gets about 20 mpgs w/ 5.29's and 35's and auto tranny.

sixstringsteve

if it were a 22RE, i'd definitely go with the 5.29s. I feel really good about the 4.88s. We'll see how it goes. Worst case scenario, I spend another $800 and re-gear to 5.29s down the road. With how light the truck is (regular cab, no winch, plastic frong bumper, lightweight motor, no real weight) I should be ok. I'm excited to see how it does. One thing is for sure, this engine feels like it has twice the power of my old 22RE.

With the 3rz I feel that the 4.88s are going to be best for highway driving. I have a civic as a DD, so this truck will mainly be used for long distance camping trips. So it'll see 90% of its life on the highway between here and Moab, St. George, the Swell, rubicon, CO, AZ, etc.

Last edited:

blznnp

with your motivation, i should just bring my blazer to you so you can do my propane conversion, clocking ring, and finish the bumper. your gonna run out of stuff to do so I got you covered once your done.

sixstringsteve

haha. You'll see that I get burnt out pretty quickly, so I've gotta work fast. I'll get this done in a week or two, then I'll be sick of working on my truck and I won't take care of little things like turn signal bulbs and stuff like that for at least a year :D

billylight

Steve, I could be wrong but I think I've read somewhere that 5.29's and 35's are closer to stock ratio than 4.88's and 35's. In my 'runner I have 5.29's and 35's and the speedo is EXACTLY correct driving down the road. That tells me that I'm at my stock R&P to tire size ratio. When it comes down to it, you'll probably get a little better mileage on the freeway going 60mph with 4.88's, but everywhere else (around town, accelerating) the 5.29's will give you better mpg's because your engine will not have to work as hard to push the 35's. Personally, I would stick with the 5.29's. 4.88's are good for 33's but IMO, not quite low enough for 35's.

side note: my '86 runner with 22re gets about 20 mpgs w/ 5.29's and 35's and auto tranny.

Im with you. with the added weight of the 35 and the nature of the use of the truck carrying camping gear and such a little lower than stock is ideal especially with a 4 cylinder

sixstringsteve

I'll still be a bit lower than stock with the 4.88s. Grim Jeeper's site helped me come up with the following info:

tranny: W59
T-case: taco/FJ

3.59's and 28s @ 70 MPH: 2563 rpm (stock gearing)

4.10's and 31s @ 70 MPH: 2644 rpm

4.30's and 31s @ 70 MPH: 2773 rpm

4.88's and 35s @ 70 MPH: 2787 rpm

5.29s and 35s @ 70 MPH: 3022 rpm

So I'm 9% lower than stock. However, I will admit that stock gearing (3.58s) was pretty high to begin with. I'm definitely on the higher end of the spectrum, but now I can cruise down the freeway at 75 and still be just a hair under 3000 RPM.

I guess we'll just have to see how it does. I'll bet it'll bog a big with my trepadors, but with a lighter tire like an MTR-Kev or KM2 it'll be 20 lbs ligher per wheel, so that should help.

Last edited:

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I would stick with the 4.88s. I have had trucks in the past that I went to low on and the highway driving was less than a good time

sixstringsteve

I would stick with the 4.88s. I have had trucks in the past that I went to low on and the highway driving was less than a good time

yeah, I'd rather this truck was better at highway driving than crawling. Besides, I can always add a crawl box later on :D

i'm committed to 4.88's, no going back now.

sixstringsteve

One thing I will say about this little engine is that it likes to rev. 3000 RPMs doesn't feel like it's winding out. It feels more like 2000 RPMs in another car.