'97 tacoma build: Abner

chans

Great feedback Chris. Do you have the 2.7 or the 3.4? 5 speed or auto?

I drove it with 3.59's and 31's, and it bogged a bit, but still had plenty of power to scoot around on the freeway in 5th. I never had to downshift to 4th.

It's got 4.10s and 31's right now, and it feels even better. I really like this 2.7 motor, it's quite peppy and has plenty of power for me. Also, when it revs up to 3000 or so, it doesn't feel like it's revving high like a sami or 22re might. It feels like its comfortable in the 3k range.

Mine is the 2.7 and 5spd. They definitely like to rev up with the dual cams. I think you will make the right choice with 4.88 gears. Most of the comments about going to 5.29s have the 22r or re motor and this is a night and day difference. A truck with a 22r motor needs 4.56 gears with 31s to even get up and go. I've driven in 4cyl Tacos with 35s and 4.10 gears and they bog down but you can still drive on the freeway. Aluminum rims and lighter tires would help out big time.
To stay with your tire progression:
4.56 and 33s
4.88 and 35s
5.29 and 37s
Should all be about the same as 4.10 and 31s

Last edited:

chans

Also as for gas mileage goes, I had no difference in MPGs going from a 31 to a 33 with 4.10s. The only thing that made mine drop 1 to 1-1/2mpg was switching from a 33 A/T to a 33 M/T.

sixstringsteve

Band practice got cancelled tonight, so I got a few extra hours to work on the truck.

Here are a few pics from last night:
IMG_2343.JPG

IMG_2344.JPG

for some reason I felt like I had to cut more on this side.

IMG_2345.JPG

IMG_2346.JPG

I don't remember if this was tonight or last night.

IMG_2347.JPG

IMG_2348.JPG

WOOHOO!!! the tubbing is done! I'm pretty stoked about that. That means tomorrow I'll be sealing the seams, and on Friday I'll apply the Herculiner. Then I trim the outer fenders and the rear fenders and I'm ready to get the gears installed.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Coming along nicely Steve.

Pinion install kit is here. Turns out I had the full R&P master kit here on the shelf, we can pull the two carrier bearings and that turns it into the pinion kit :D LMK know when you want to grab it. I may be able to swing it out your way and grab those wheels & skid in the next day or two?

sixstringsteve

Cool. If you come out to my place, can you bring the pinion install kit with you? I'll shoot you an email with the info.

sixstringsteve

Got a bit more done today at lunch. I sealed up my welds with 3M seam sealer.

IMAG0165.jpg

IMAG0166.jpg

I'll apply another coat after work, then I'll probably get a coat of herculiner on this evening. We'll see how it pans out.

Oh, and I bought some new tires (35's). With the 4.88s, the 2.7, I think the motor would have had a hard time turning the heavy treps. So I went with a tire that's not as beefy and weighs about 20 lbs less. I was really looking forward to running those treps. Those who have followed my last 4 builds will be able to guess which tire I went with.

zukijames

iroks ? there really light :) jk congrats on the km2s new or used?

ps im pretty sure you know this but if you cap the ends of those sliders it will add alot of strength and they wont get 100 lbs of mud in them lol

sixstringsteve

New. And yes, they're KM2's. I have no reason not to run those tires. I absolutely love them on road, off-road, and in the rocks.

Thanks for the reminder on the sliders, I need to get that done. Maybe I'll have some time to finish that up tonight. I can't decide if I want to keep the sliders or go with some TG ones. I may just have chacoflip bend me up some tube to extend these a little.

sixstringsteve

As you know, the welds on the sheet metal are very hard to do, and the seam ends up with little pin-holes in places. The seam sealer fills those holes in. It's a bit like a rubber coating. It makes it waterproof so when I'm driving through snow or rain, it keeps it out of the cab. The herculiner is just another layer to help seal it and protect the new sheet metal. Does that make sense?

sixstringsteve

I've gotta give a shoutout to James (Zukijames) and Tyler from Alljeep.com (Pelygroso) You guys rock. Thanks for helping me drop off and pick up my tires while my pickup was out of commission. I really appreciate you guys.