'97 tacoma build: Abner

sixstringsteve

yup i'm blind went back and saw the jack.. maybe you could take me wheeling so i could get motivated to get mine done lol

Yup, all those pictures of the tire stuffed were at full bump. The only place the tires will rub is on the frame (@ full steering lock). I'm going to see if I can set my steering stops to prevent that. Then I'll have zero rubbing.

maybe you could take me wheeling so i could get motivated to get mine done lol
James, you're always welcome to ride shotgun. I don't think my version of "wheeling" will get you motivated for much of anything. I'm pretty mellow on the trail. Tell ya what, get your rig done, save your pennies, and we'll run the Rubicon this September.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

these metals catch on fire quite easily..
IMAG0817.jpg

Your job was to put the fires out, not take pictures of them. ;)

Just kidding. Thanks for all your help Willy. That's a cool picture.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Nice progress Steve. It's really nice to have people willing and able to help with the big daunting parts of a project, I would have been there had I known I would be driving to Salt Lake anyway last night.

sixstringsteve

thanks! I've always loved those wheels, and I've been wanting to run a set for a while, but the backspacing sucks on 'em. I've always been a "black wheels only" kind of guy, but the silver has really grown on me. I think I'll leave them silver.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Nothing exciting, but I have to force myself to report back every day with the day's progress. Today I mounted the wheels, backed it out of the garage and drove it back in to make room for me to work on the pass side. I installed the driver's strut, and primered the new sheet metal.

I'm really starting to think I want 5.29's instead of 4.88's. I doubt there will be a huge difference in MPG, and it'll be nice to have a bit more power to climb hills and zip around.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I'll be tubbing the pass side tonight. I could use a hand if anyone in the area is bored tonight. Shoot me a PM with your address. I'll buy you dinner.

sixstringsteve

it wouldn't cost me any extra money, but once I install them, it'd cost about $700-1000 to switch to another gear. So I want to make sure I pick the right gear the first time.

sixstringsteve

I got the pass side cut, and 95% plated. My welder was giving me fits at 1 AM, so I called it quits for the night. Haha, since it's 1 AM I can count this for Wed's work too. On thursday the pass side will be 100% welded up and plated. I'll start painting and seam sealing on thursday, and Friday will be the herculiner. This is getting exciting.

A huge shoutout to my wife who was out in the freezing cold garage with me 'till 12:45, putting out all the little fires I started inside the cab. She's the greatest. I don't know why she puts up with me, but I'm sure glad that she does.