Any experience with the Husky/ KTM 350s?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I know.
Mostly it's been a budget issue.
I wasn't willing to spend the extra that KTM cost and then drop another chunk to get the suspension up to par, but now that I'm racing more I can more easily justify it.

Even though I've got my bike really dialed right now; I'd like an electric start, and I'm not willing to compromise with the weight of a WR450 or CRF450x.
That holeshot is addictive and it really makes the whole race more enjoyable.

If they would build the YZ450FX like they have the YZ250FX my mind would already be made up.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I hear ya.... Russ says the 350 is a bit soft on the bottom end, so that holeshot you love may not be there with that one. A 300 is the popular option, but so very different than your YZF.

GAR

I would love to try a 350. Good luck with the bike search, glad you're keeping an open mind :)

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Thanks Grant. My thoughts are that I would like the (slightly) lighter weight and less reciprocating mass. Supposedly they almost make the same power as the 450s up top.
Between that, the wider gearing and the electric start: it seems appealing.

Cascadia

Undecided
All I've heard is that the 11's lacked some bottom end. But that they've fixed it since. I know Russ has a friend or 2 with some and my excavator loves his new '15 350.

rholbrook

I'm not at my desk or I would give you my thoughts on the 350 so if you want to know tonight then call me. If you can wait, I will post when I'm not on my phone. Do I like them? Yes. Would I own one? Nope. I don't think you would like it either.

Caleb

I'm not at my desk or I would give you my thoughts on the 350 so if you want to know tonight then call me. If you can wait, I will post when I'm not on my phone. Do I like them? Yes. Would I own one? Nope. I don't think you would like it either.

This is the same thing I've heard a lot. Guys like them but wouldn't own their own. Why not a newer 500? More power than you'll know what to do with, especially down low, and only 8lbs difference between the 350 you're looking at. :D. Not sure what a 500 would do to your race class though.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
It's basically open displacement. While I think they are excellent dual sport machines and in the hands of someone like Adam Riemann and a sweet suspension tuner they are awesome offroad.
But I wouldn't get a 500, too big for me. Dirt bike mag said the 500 exc is 245 dry+ 3.07 gal gas =263.9lbs wet plus hand gaurds, steering stabilizer, rad guards, skid plate... no thanks. My bike is 243-248 race ready (depending on configuration).
It would wear me out in a long race plus I ride motocross quite often and it's not exactly nimble.

Folks are weighing their 350s at 243-250 kitted out to race. And I think smoother low end from a 300 or 350 might force me to ride with momentum instead of throttle.

Plus I think 13,000rpm sounds awesome.

Last edited:

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
The only experience I have with the 350's is passing them...Ha

no all kidding aside, I have rode three of them all different years and felt that they were all lacking, Wasn't real thrilled about KTM's 450 either, but Im used to my KX450 that hits like Chuck Norris. I just wouldnt own a KTM 4 stroke...that said, If I cant make my new suspension work, Its possible I could end up with a tricked up KTM 300 2stroke in my garage. I seriously think for what we do you cant beat the 300.

rholbrook

Come get my 300 for your race. You won't go back to the thumper. All that rotational mass up high creates the feeling if a lot of weight. I spent 1/2 day on my 300 while my oldest son who just got off his mission two weeks ago rode a YZ450F. Then Jaxon wanted to trade me so we did. I know the YZ is lighter but I would have bet it was 40lbs heavier. I tried to trade Jaxon back but on the way home he said I had better find another 300 because he was keeping mine. I won't go back to a thumper

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
A friend at work rides a 2012 350SX. I asked him his thoughts on it and all he said was it's just like the 450 but it has less torque.. Hmm makes sense I guess. Also last time I rode with him he parked it by my bike and instantly made my ATK look three thousand years old.

That's all the info I've got :D

Tonkaman

How many miles are you guys getting out of a tank on your 300? One of my biggest concerns with 2 stroke is fuel range without getting a big heavy tank

Cascadia

Undecided
Depends on the terrain. But I think if I was riding mountain single track I could get 75 or more out of the stock tank. That's still riding aggressive. I've had races that I didn't need to fuel for 60 miles but I've also had races (knolls and mesquite) that I wouldn't last 45 miles. Sorry it's not much of an answer.