Any experience with the Husky/ KTM 350s?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Maybe all the decision makers for KTM are riding with Rekluses which allow some wiggle room with gearing. I would be curious as to what percentage of enduro type bikes have rekluses in them. Out of my close group of riding friends I would bet 90% of them have Rekluses and five of them have lowered their bikes now too.

There is some logic to that.

rholbrook

I went to the KTM USA website and after a quick look, I only saw the 450XC with a 5 spd. Europe has a 300EXC, USA has both the XCW and XC, both with 6 speeds so I dont know what the article is talking about. The SX's have 4 spd.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
So Stratton, did you ever get to ride that 350 last weekend?

Yes, I did. I got about 3.5 hours in the saddle on Saturday. We rode for about 9 or 10 hours total.
I rode with Jason Densley and his crew. HOLY COW those guys are fast. I got run into the ground all day.
He's practicing for ISDE as he qualified for the over 40 spot at Idaho City, so needless to say, I learned a lot from these guys.

I love the bike, but the guy who owns it decided today that he loves it too and it sounds like he's not going to part with it. It's a shame because it was amazing. Except for the Fastway lowering link that made it a little to low in the rear for me, the bike was pretty ideal.

It pulled on my bike when we did a top gear pull. So the final gear is taller and it's every bit as quick. It softer in the bottom, but not slower. I don't know how to explain it... just really smooth. Where 450 is urgent and impatient: the 350 just builds power more smoothly off idle and pulls to 13,500 rpm. Where as a 450 signs off at around 11,500. So you can ride a single gear more because the rev range is so long. I was riding his bike faster with less effort, but it felt slower because I wasn't working for it so hard.

Also, I really need to find a berm track and just practice 90* flat berm corners for a few hours a day for a few months... these guys are so smooth and fast on little rutted corners.

It had no kick starter, which presented absolutely zero problems even in the nastiest hill climbs with super loose shale. With a Powerbomb full exhaust it started first spin every time with a little throttle. I thought it would be, but I have pretty great confidence that with a new battery every season, it's a non issue whatsoever.

He had the Rekluse set to higher rpm engagement; which I didn't think I'd like, but it was really nice not to have so much engine compression braking when you come off throttle suddenly. I think I'll change that on my Rekluse right away... It made it smoother on and off the power. It rode more like a stroke that was than a 4 stroke.
Also it didn't feel buzzy or heavy at high rpm. It seems like some bikes I've ridden feel harder to turn at high rpm, my guess is the gyroscopic forces increase as engine rpm increases.

Jason just got his '15 300 back from some big hp motor work and Lance pulled on him in a straight line drag race on the 350 with a dead motor start... that's impressive.

The suspension was pretty spot on for me, Craig L. in Bountiful did it and I was impressed, the front felt planted and sharp and it turned better than my bike, but my front got progressively lower throughout the day because of the nasty rocks we were riding at more speed than I'm normally comfortable with.

It felt light and small, but it also had a low seat and a Fastway link with the pull rod set at the 3 setting, so it was lower. Definitely contributed to the small feeling.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I could find one, I have heartburn though buying a showroom bike. All of them agreed that any (new) KTM they've had needed suspension work right out of the box though... which makes a new bike even more expensive.

In conclusion, sweet bike.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
It is hard to describe the power that the 350 delivers. When I rode one a little over a year ago, the best way I could describe it was fast but soft.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Yes, I did. I got about 3.5 hours in the saddle on Saturday. We rode for about 9 or 10 hours total.
I rode with Jason Densley and his crew. HOLY COW those guys are fast. I got run into the ground all day.
He's practicing for ISDE as he qualified for the over 40 spot at Idaho City, so needless to say, I learned a lot from these guys.

I love the bike, but the guy who owns it decided today that he loves it too and it sounds like he's not going to part with it. It's a shame because it was amazing. Except for the Fastway lowering link that made it a little to low in the rear for me, the bike was pretty ideal.

It pulled on my bike when we did a top gear pull. So the final gear is taller and it's every bit as quick. It softer in the bottom, but not slower. I don't know how to explain it... just really smooth. Where 450 is urgent and impatient: the 350 just builds power more smoothly off idle and pulls to 13,500 rpm. Where as a 450 signs off at around 11,500. So you can ride a single gear more because the rev range is so long. I was riding his bike faster with less effort, but it felt slower because I wasn't working for it so hard.

Also, I really need to find a berm track and just practice 90* flat berm corners for a few hours a day for a few months... these guys are so smooth and fast on little rutted corners.

It had no kick starter, which presented absolutely zero problems even in the nastiest hill climbs with super loose shale. With a Powerbomb full exhaust it started first spin every time with a little throttle. I thought it would be, but I have pretty great confidence that with a new battery every season, it's a non issue whatsoever.

He had the Rekluse set to higher rpm engagement; which I didn't think I'd like, but it was really nice not to have so much engine compression braking when you come off throttle suddenly. I think I'll change that on my Rekluse right away... It made it smoother on and off the power. It rode more like a stroke that was than a 4 stroke.
Also it didn't feel buzzy or heavy at high rpm. It seems like some bikes I've ridden feel harder to turn at high rpm, my guess is the gyroscopic forces increase as engine rpm increases.

Jason just got his '15 300 back from some big hp motor work and Lance pulled on him in a straight line drag race on the 350 with a dead motor start... that's impressive.

The suspension was pretty spot on for me, Craig L. in Bountiful did it and I was impressed, the front felt planted and sharp and it turned better than my bike, but my front got progressively lower throughout the day because of the nasty rocks we were riding at more speed than I'm normally comfortable with.

It felt light and small, but it also had a low seat and a Fastway link with the pull rod set at the 3 setting, so it was lower. Definitely contributed to the small feeling.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I could find one, I have heartburn though buying a showroom bike. All of them agreed that any (new) KTM they've had needed suspension work right out of the box though... which makes a new bike even more expensive.

In conclusion, sweet bike.

That's some good info, sounds like it's worth considering! A local guy races big rally/baja races on his 350 and really likes it, he also rides a lot of gnar.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Nice, did you like it? I know you're a died in the wool 2 stroke guy, but for me? or would you still tell me to get a 300?

Get whatever bike you are most comfortable with. If you have not spent much time on a 2 stroke, the 300 may feel a little odd at first. Once you have put some time on it, you will see how versatile and low maintenance it is.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Sounds like a productive outing Stratton. Like Paul said, riding a 300 will be a bit strange at first, but you'll get used to it if that's what you end up choosing. Just think, no more valves to shim. :)