Any experience with the Husky/ KTM 350s?

rholbrook

I have two riding buddies with KTM 350 XCW's. Both love them. Both have had 300's and one of them has had a KTM450. The other just bought a KTM FreeRide 250. Stratton, you have met Mike and Corby at last years Firebirds, Mike raced his 350. Mike was actually the first one out of us to buy a 300. He hated it, couldn't ride it. He bought the 350 and he thinks it is the greatest bike in the world until he bough the FreeRide, now the FreeRide is the best bike in the world since he put a Rekluse in it and had the suspension done. Mike did Rekluses and suspension in his 300 and 350 as well. Our other riding buddy you have not met yet. He too thinks the 350 is the best bike out there. He has put one of those intake wing things in his between the air box and Fuel Injection, changed his throttle tube out to a new shaped lobe one, flashed his computer, and other things I can't remember. It runs really well.

Stratton, I know you like the pull of a 450. The 350 does not have that. Yes, its fast, yes, it will run with a 450, the power is totally different. It likes high RPMs, it has plenty of low end but it wont rip your arms off from zero to higher speed.

I liked how planted my 450 felt. The YZ450 feels the same way but after riding my 300, the 450 feels fat. Not just fat as in heavy, but also fat as in wide between your legs. The 300 feels skinny, light and nimble. The one thing I didnt like about the 300 is how light and squirly the front end felt. I put a GPR4 on it and now that is gone. After 70+ miles on my 450, I was wiped out. My shoulder hurt for a week. After 70+ miles on my 300, I was good to ride the next day. I wouldn't have believed that the rotating mas on the top of those thumpers would make that much difference. I promise you, the 300 rides sooo much lighter than your 450.

Come get my 300 Stratton and go for a ride on it today and then if you like it, take it to the race. I promise, you won't want your 450 anymore.

Caleb

Husky claims the 2015 FE501 and FE350 to only be 8.5 pounds difference. What year bike are you looking into? Brand new?

Exactly, that's the same thing with the 500 XC-Ws. Looking at the 500 EXC is like comparing the WR450 to the YZ450 and wondering why the YZ is so much lighter, the YZ is a nearly race ready bike. The EXC includes all the smog stuff, street legal crap, etc and the engine is detuned.

With that said, as Russ mentions, the way the 300 carries the weight makes it feel WAY lighter than any 4T will ever feel. You can't just look at the weight on paper as that's not really reflective to how it carries the weight.

rholbrook

You can't just look at the weight on paper as that's not really reflective to how it carries the weight.

Well said. I had a guy tell me a month ago that he couldn't believe how well I rode because of how big I was. I called him a dick and then he said,"That was a complement, because what I was saying is that for big I was, he couldn't believe how good I rode, because you are a really big guy." I called him a dick and again and told him that I can't believe how well he rode for being as ugly as he was and atleast I could diet but he would always be ugly.

In a moto, the weight isn't as significant as the broader power band the thumper gives you but in a 100 mile race, where the extra rotational mas you have to move around begins to wear on you physically. I read somewhere that the rotational weight compared to non-rotational weight is 7 times heavier. I am looking for the article and if I can find it I will link it.

Are the top finishers in the desert races mostly smokers?

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
You guys are obviously far more advanced riders than I am.. I can't tell the difference in weight on any bike I have every ridden..
Ok.. I can tell the difference between my old Goldwing and GSXR, but not between the YZ250 and YZ250F in my garage..

Tonkaman

Yeah I've kept an eye on those for years Read post 25 above^^^. I tested one out up AF canyon last year and it scared me to death, I loved it!!

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Last April, I went to look at '14 KTMs not sure if I'd be buying the 300xc or the 350xcf. The 350 would have been nearly $1000 more, and although I'd happily pay the extra $ if I thought it would be the better bike for me, I wasn't convinced it was. After a year on the 300, I feel good about my choice and its the better choice in almost every way (although I wish I could justify having both). However, the lack of engine braking still weirds me out sometimes (I really like that about 4 strokes) and having to be more aware of my shifting and braking is also something I'm still getting used to (I still have less that 45 hours on the bike). Assuming you're buying new, don't think you can "get by" without having your suspension done, as the forks will beat you to death and your front tire will be deflecting off any rocks or chop. You can mess with clickers all day long, but it won't solve the issue. The heavier you are the better, but since we're both in the girly 150-160 range, you're screwed. The good news is that you can keep the stock shock and fork springs and pay to just have them re-valved.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I almost forgot... if you want to meet up at 5 mile sometime, you're welcome to ride my bike if that would help any. I'd happily beat on that 450 of yours. It starts now, right? ;)

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Not sure about the 350, but every one of my riding buddies says I'm way faster on my 300 than I was on my 450. I feel faster and the bike isn't very well dialed for me yet. When I feel lazy and don't want the snap of the 2t, I just ride a gear taller and the bike pulls really smooth. Flip the clutch and your back in beast mode.

Tonkaman

The more I keep looking at new bikes he more I want a Beta 300RR Race Edition. If I were buying a new ride this year a BYOB would be my top choice

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I have heard a lot of good things about the Beta motor and ergonomics, but have never heard one good thing about the suspension. If you buy one, plan on doing something with the boingers.

rholbrook

One of my riding buddies has one of those Betas. Derek, you have actually ridden with him once when we rode the Tubes but he had a KTM back then. I have yet to throw a leg over it. I did however ride the new GasGas300 last Thursday. I personally didn't like the feel of it but it had the Clake single finger clutch lever assembly on it. Blair was supposed to ride with us but his son crashed the day before and split his knee cap in half the day before on Devils Race Track I was hoping to ride it.