Any Interest in doing part of the Utah Backcountry Discovery Route in 2014?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12904
  • Start date

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Nice! Have you ridden your bike yet? I got my Yz back together Saturday morning and had to take it out for a test ride.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 12904

I'm still super excited. Been getting the bike prepped. Still working out my endurance is up like 400% and I'm about 25lbs down.

you all going to be ready? June will be here fast

Tonkaman

I'm officially dieting but I've got a long way to get in shape. Once the bike is running again it will be a huge relief. I think about this trip every day, I am so excited!

D

Deleted member 12904

I'm officially dieting but I've got a long way to get in shape. Once the bike is running again it will be a huge relief. I think about this trip every day, I am so excited!
How big of a fuel tank are you going to be running? My buddy Andrew is concerned that he needs a 6 gallon. I don't think his WR 450 get that much worse mileage?

D

Deleted member 12904

I should be able to do 180 - 200 miles per tank. I'm thinking if we plan on the 150 miles per tank minimum we should be able to make it. 170 tank would allow a little more exploring.

Tonkaman

Looks like 4 gallon is about as good as it gets for me. I'm hoping that's plenty since I've done well with my 1.8 gal tank I have now. After a few test rides I'll know if I need an auxiliary tank

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I'm ready now! TTR is running good. I took it for a 30 mile ride last Saturday. I still need to do a range calculation ride.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Caleb

How big of a fuel tank are you going to be running? My buddy Andrew is concerned that he needs a 6 gallon. I don't think his WR 450 get that much worse mileage?

When I had my crf450x I remember getting around 50ish mpg. My buddy on his wr450 riding the exact same trails with me would get 35ish mpg.

If any of you guys are interested in it, I have a rotopax 1gal fuel jug, a 2 gal water jug, and a mount you are welcome to borrow for this ride. You would have to bolt the mount to something (fender, rack, etc) but it keeps those jugs nice and secure.

Tonkaman

When I had my crf450x I remember getting around 50ish mpg. My buddy on his wr450 riding the exact same trails with me would get 35ish mpg.

If any of you guys are interested in it, I have a rotopax 1gal fuel jug, a 2 gal water jug, and a mount you are welcome to borrow for this ride. You would have to bolt the mount to something (fender, rack, etc) but it keeps those jugs nice and secure.

That's what I always guessed I'm getting, so it's nice to know I'm not crazy. I've been looking at those little rotopax cans they look pretty cool. I'll let you know if we're going to need them

D

Deleted member 12904

Deviant did you ever settle on a sleeping bag? I need to buy one still but haven't started my homework

I haven't. Here are my issues that are making it hard to decide.

Im fat. So I need a bag that fits me
I sleep cold. Ya I may be the only fat guy that sleeps cold
I want a really small compressible bag.

It seems like all the bags that cater towards me are a lesser quality down and do not pack as small. I have my eye on a few 800 down fill bags and if they go on sale I will go for it if not I think I will just end up buying the 20* kelty down bag DAA recommended to me since they are cheap and fit all my needs other than super small.

Tonkaman

My biggest concern is compact size. I don't sleep cold and can easily wear my down coat to bed. I just don't want to spend a fortune since I'm fairly happy with the bags I have

D

Deleted member 12904

Well I have all the gear I think I will need. When is the first overnighter test run?

D

Deleted member 12904

What ate you bringing for sleep/ shelter?
I ended up getting the Kelty down bag at $120 then purchased a separate compression sack. I picked up a used Thermo rest sleep pad on the RMe classifieds for $60 all I plan on using for shelter is a couple light weight tarps and some para cord if needed otherwise I'm just going to sleep under the stars.

D

Deleted member 12904

I have caved into the guilting sad poor me conversations with Dugfab. The good news is he bought a nicely set up drz and will be joining us. Bad news is we will need to come up with a different transfer method. We can take my old Yukon that will hold 7 or take two vehicles. What do you guys want to do?