Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Yes, I bought the Costco bike. I work there so it was easy for my to get started with this bike, and was a great price for what I bought. I first bought the 26er and loved it, but there were a few things that I thought the 29er would do better so I purchased the 29er. I also love the 29er for what I do, but when I want to get buck wild going downhill and jumping, I miss the 26er. The only thing I would change on my current bike (29er) is put a different front shock on it. Other wise I love the bike and will ride the wheels off of it, and probably will not buy another till it can't be fixed anymore. I would also take the advice of Matt L. and look at getting a good helmet. Don't skimp on that.

Which bike is this?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I will also add this. Sometimes it is harder to upgrade to disc brakes because there are not tabs on the frame to bolt on to. If it already has disc then upgrades should be available. Most of the "newer bikes" with cable vbrakes will have a mount on the shock for a disc brake but questionable on the rear.

If you have cable discs, is upgrading to hydraulic just a matter of calipers and levers and line? Do the calipers use the same mounting points?

sixstringsteve

I hope you didn't take the pulling through coals seriously but you offered, and i accepted. :)

I knew it was coming. :D

I'll ride with you any day Matt. Another factor to consider if you're going from V-brakes to Disc is that you'll need new wheels. At that point, it might be worth looking into a newer bike that already comes with the good stuff you really want.

sixstringsteve

If you have cable discs, is upgrading to hydraulic just a matter of calipers and levers and line? Do the calipers use the same mounting points?

Calipers, levers, line, and rotors. They usually all come together in a package, many times pre-bled. Every once in a while a company will be weird and have a funky disc mount that requires an adapter, but for the most part, disc mounts have standardized.

sixstringsteve

Some are interchangeable, but you typically want to stick with the same brand rotor as the brake. Rotor thicknesses vary between companies, and they often vary between hydraulic and cable. As matt posted, there are only 3 rotor diameters, so you're safe there. I like at least a 180mm front rotor since I use my front brake a lot.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

speaking of disc brakes, I think Buell finally figured it out. No transfer to the hubs, spokes, or nipples, it goes straight to the rim. Very innovative design.

Buell_AMA_race_bike_ZTL_brake.jpg

jentzschman

wow, great info. If I can find a bike with hydro brakes great, if not I'm not too worried. I will have to look closer at the Costco bike. I believe they have cable disk brakes if memory serves. I will stop by canyon bikes and get sized and get a little info. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Just ordered my wife a sette razzo x7 29r. Pretty excited to get it here this next week

YOUKNOW

wow, great info. If I can find a bike with hydro brakes great, if not I'm not too worried. I will have to look closer at the Costco bike. I believe they have cable disk brakes if memory serves. I will stop by canyon bikes and get sized and get a little info. Thanks for all the advice guys.

They all told me that the Costco bike is a pile of junk, it may be. I like it, wasn't too expensive, has good components, and for as much as I ride it I justified buying it. I didn't want to drop a grand on a bike. So that was my option.

jentzschman

Here are the specs off the box for the bike at Costco

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367954404641.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367954404641.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 16

jentzschman

They all told me that the Costco bike is a pile of junk, it may be. I like it, wasn't too expensive, has good components, and for as much as I ride it I justified buying it. I didn't want to drop a grand on a bike. So that was my option.

Who are "they"?