Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

193kyle

Just got back from Snowbird, rode the new big mountain trail. It is pretty fun, still fairly loose and rocky in places but I think it will improve after some use. Only managed to get in one run, they closed the tram due to bad weather....

Caleb

Looks interesting, I guess a big plus is you don't have to climb the mountain. Do all resorts have this type of riding? Lift to the top then bomb down the trials? Are any of them free entry but you ride up and down?

Found this youtube video showing a bit of the new Snowbird trail.

My family and I ended up at Snowbird this weekend so I drug my bike along. I rode the new trail down, which was fun, but I'd have a hard time paying $30 to do it again. I ended up riding with a few guys I met up there and we were all joking around about who knew it would be so tough to ride downhill. I added an all-day tram pass to my pass my family and I had bought for only another $10. It took a lot longer than I thought it would to get down. It's all single track with lots of switchbacks. Overall, for an out-of-shape rider, it took me about two hours to get down and I was toasted. I wrecked once which jacked up my right thigh so that made it an easier decision not to head up again. The new trail has a ton of rocks which makes it tough to ride (especially on a hard tail). For a half day pass, you could probably get two rides in. Just watched that video and it's spot on, it is a very spectacular view...not often do you get views like that.

As for free ride, it was my impression that if you rode up the trail, it was free. You were only buying a tram pass. I did pass one guy that was riding up it and one of the mountain patrol guys said it's average about a 7* grade the whole way down and there are often guys that ride up. After coming down, I could see that being the case but you'd have to be in really good shape (I'd die a mile in to it :D). There's really no (or very very little) areas that don't have some kind of downhill slope to them, so if you rode up, you'd be pedaling literally the whole way. On the flip side, coming down, you have to pedal very little. Infact, I'm sure a good rider could get down without pedaling at all, I did pedal in a few spots when I didn't carry enough momentum.

If the trail was a smooth free flowing trail, I'd do it again in a second. I've heard Gad Valley is that way, I probably should have rode it instead.

Caleb

Just got back from Snowbird, rode the new big mountain trail. It is pretty fun, still fairly loose and rocky in places but I think it will improve after some use. Only managed to get in one run, they closed the tram due to bad weather....

Ha, my family and I were in line to ride the "flying school bus", as my boy called it, when they closed it...we were actually loaded and then they decided to close it.

193kyle

Man, I wish I would have seen you... It's been awhile. I don't think I would have any fun on that trail on a hardtail, it is rough! That's why I love my full suspension, I made it down in about 45 minutes and was ready for round 2:D

Caleb

Wow, 45 mins. You were hauling :D I guess that's the difference of a good rider and, well, me :p. For others wondering, I do think most any rider could make it down, it's just a matter of how fast you want to come down. I passed one family that was a mom, dad, and their 7 year old...he was doing better than the mom was :)

193kyle

Yeah, I feel like just about anyone would be fine up there if they take it slow, the trail is not all that technical, just rough, but the upper half is pretty exposed. If you were to fall off the side of the trail, it could end badly.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Does anyone know if you can ride down mineral basin? I've always wanted to ride from my parents in Sandy up little cottonwood canyon, and down AF canyon.

Caleb

Does anyone know if you can ride down mineral basin? I've always wanted to ride from my parents in Sandy up little cottonwood canyon, and down AF canyon.

Not sure if you can or can't. I know Snowbird has trails marked in their trail maps so I would guess you could.

sixstringsteve

I've been wanting to ride one of the resorts, but I get the impression that everything is technical downhill bombing or boring ride-really-fast-down-the-service-road stuff.

Not so. There are tons of mellow windy stuff down at lots of resorts. Sundance is the only resort I've ridden in Utah but it has a wide variety of terrain. I'd really like to ride canyons this year, they have a sweet park with jumps and wall rides.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Only managed to get in one run, they closed the tram due to bad weather....

Did they give you a voucher or did you just ride the other trails? I would be bummed to be up for another go after paying and see it closed. [Not that I'd make it down the first run in one piece anyway...]

193kyle

No, luckily I only paid for a half day, so I wasn't out to much. It was a bummer, but I understand they can't control the weather so I wasn't going to make a big deal out of it.

Caleb

Did they give you a voucher or did you just ride the other trails? I would be bummed to be up for another go after paying and see it closed. [Not that I'd make it down the first run in one piece anyway...]

They have signs up all over the place saying no refunds due to weather. What really would have sucked is there were a couple guys that got in line (first time up), got their passes scanned, then everything got canceled. They were out their entire pass without even getting a ride in.

sixstringsteve

Nate (and/or anyone else), want to do a mellower shorter ride tonight? I'm thinking it'll probably rain, which means I'll be riding at Lambert Park in Alpine.

193kyle

Just got back from a quick ride up corner canyon, got up there at 7am and did 8 miles. It was great! Nice and cool and very few people on the trails.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I'm up for a ride. I'll be done with work about 245. Is Alpine still on fire?

Edit: Looks like it was 2.5 acres is all but right there next to Lambert. (Fox13 Link)