Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

Samersen

I rode CC this morning. I don't ride there much because it's so busy and kind of far for me, but I lapped Vertigo 2 times, and man is the trail fun!

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Nice bike TRD270. Dropper posts are better than microwave ovens. If you are coming from a HT, do yourself a favor and play with softer suspension settings that you initially like. I found that I always wanted my forks to ride high because I assumed that meant less bob. Since dropping pressure and actually using all my travel I have gotten faster and smoother downhill. Watch the pros. They are all the way into their forks quite often.

Vertigo and Levitate are out the back door of my work. I've been lapping them all year. Those two trails are going to lose me 10 pounds this summer.
Word of caution, they life flighted someone off Levitate yesterday. Be careful and ride more.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Nice bike TRD270. Dropper posts are better than microwave ovens. If you are coming from a HT, do yourself a favor and play with softer suspension settings that you initially like. I found that I always wanted my forks to ride high because I assumed that meant less bob. Since dropping pressure and actually using all my travel I have gotten faster and smoother downhill. Watch the pros. They are all the way into their forks quite often.

I dropped my fork pressure 10lbs before todays ride. My HT (which has 130mm) I run 135psi and its perfect, I took the new bike (150mm) down to 110 today and I think i'm still a lot high. Going to take some toying with.

When you do loops on vertigo/levitate are you riding back up suncrest drive to eagle crest trail ?

Maple Hollow trail to Eagle Crest to get back up

Vertigo is crazy fun, i'm going to have to work myself up to multiple laps. I think if I went down for a second I would have only made it halfway back up. Went and rode a few miles of Ann's trail after to finish the ass kicking

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Kevin and I ran about 2/3 of Strawberry Narrows yesterday. Perfect weather and a beautiful trail but it needs some love. Last winter's snows yielded lots of downed timber. A bunch of smaller ones that really interfere with the flow of riding and one big SOB that is treacherous to climb around. Most of the smaller stuff could be cleared with a small folding pack saw but the big one needs some love from a chain saw.

the small
small_tree_zpszdtq1b4f.jpg

the SOB
big_tree_zpsfuwpb8dz.jpg

Kevin's son at the highest point of the trail.
ian_strawberry_zps4tw3wdyd.jpg

I broke a chain and at exactly the same time, Kevin's crank arm came off again. I had a spare master link to fix my chain and Kevin's crank arm decided to stay on for the rest of the trip.

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I broke a chain and at exactly the same time, Kevin's crank arm came off again.

20170617_153000_zpsx95dakpl.jpg

Good riding though, killer weather.

Last year I replaced the bottom bracket after the crank arm came off once. It was fine almost a year, then I popped it off down in Moab - I got home, cleaned it and torqued it back on carefully, it was fine again until yesterday when it popped off again. So I guess the crank arm itself is cooked?

What's the least painful way to go 1x? I'm looking at parts on Chain Reaction and all the 1x cranksets are labeled for a specific number of rear speeds, why does that matter? Will the world end if I use a crankset intended for ten or eleven speeds with my nine speed cogs I already have?

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
What's the least painful way to go 1x? I'm looking at parts on Chain Reaction and all the 1x cranksets are labeled for a specific number of rear speeds, why does that matter? Will the world end if I use a crankset intended for ten or eleven speeds with my nine speed cogs I already have?

No expert but this is what I found on the interwebs

Chain retention is the key to creating a reliable single-ring drivetrain and your chainring is your first line of defence again dropped chains.

There are dozens of companies who are now producing chainrings with alternating width tooth profiles, similar to SRAM’s X-SYNC technology. These are generally referred to as narrow-wide chainrings.

These chainrings match the width of their teeth to the width of the chain's inner and outer plates, which greatly reduces any side-to-side movement of the chain, thus reducing the likelihood of dropping it.

Reading further it almost sounds like if you're willing to run a chain guide it shouldn't be a big deal

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Steve you mentioned you like the RS Pike. That is what my new shock is, what PSI are you running? Most of the air shock stuff I had previously read suggested starting with a PSI roughly half your weight in riding gear. Reading more on the Pike it seems like it likes a lot lower pressures.

Also was curious about one of your instagram posts. You said you were selling your bike for a bike with less travel. Just wondering what the benefit/riding feel difference you hope to achieve with this?

Edit: More research on the pike, I was running way to much pressure. I've now achieved around 30% sag, and looking forward to my next tuning session :) With my skill and the terrain i'm running I can probably even drop more as I won't be jumping off 8 foot cliffs. Going to start with this and fine tune on the trail

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Or maybe I'll just yank two chain rings off and run it and see what happens. :D

So what happens is, your chain falls off. Shocker, right? I put on a narrow wide chainring. Looks dead sexy so if the chain falls again at least I'll look awesome while I'm eating dirt.

Kevin B.

Half the teeth have an extra wide profile that's supposed to locate the chain better and keep it from wandering out of the chain line.

rholbrook

Sun Valley was beautiful this last weekend. Harrison did great, placed 5th in his class which was Junior 13-18 yrs old. Racers in his class included kids from as far as Minnesota and Texas being the farthest away. It was a 2 day 5 stage enduro race After day one he was sitting in 8th place too worried about his stage times which were posted on the internet within minutes of finishing. Day 2 he said he was just going to ride his kind of race and not look at times On the 4th and 5th stages all racers had to pedal 8 miles up to the mountain for each stage. 16 miles of pedaling just for 10 min each of balls out riding. His average speed for the series was just under 17mph with a top speed of 36mph. He moved up 3 spots to podium as the 5th place racer. 5th is his worst placing this year but the competition was much better this race. It's fun to watch your kid excel at something they love

IMG_8272.JPGIMG_8275.JPG
IMG_8282.JPG
Harrison is the one on the far right. All the other kids on the podiumare 17-18 yrs old and Harrison is 16. The winners time was just over two minutes faster than Harrison's time for all five stages which covered 17 miles. Not too far off

sixstringsteve

He did awesome, thanks for the update! He is such a good rider. I can't believe how much pedaling there is in an enduro race.

I can't wait to hear how Whistler goes for him. I'd love to see some POV footage from him if he hits A-line or dirt merchant. Whistler was a huge mental game for me, it was super intimidating for me the first 4 hours. I didn't really enjoy my time there, surprisingly.

sixstringsteve

I'll be in town for a few days. Anyone feel like a shuttled ride up AF Canyon this Saturday? Start at the summit, and end at Tibble? Despite a lot of downhill, there's also a lot of pedalling.