Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Phase one complete, repair stand is now adjustable height. I'm considering some sort of stabilizing bolt since it wobbles in the hitch receiver. Need to get more tube tomorrow to make the 2-bike hitch rack.

6e829e96-b11e-4185-8614-d82b552e489e_zpsehtoifio.jpg

20170526_1954301_zps9zgeucvb.jpg

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Introducing FrieedLock ...

Wedges the receiver insert at opposing corners and stops wobbles in all directions.
Hand tight and I can shake my truck. Yah, it's probably not new, but it works.
20170527_0912411_zpswgbffwfz.jpg

20170527_153635_zpsclsrewyy.jpg

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
That is brilliant. I have welded a nut inside one side of the tube and used a bolt to pull the hitch to one side. It works but this looks like it would be much better. I'm interested in how you are making the rest. I tried to mimic a one up bike rack. It turned out OK but I never felt totally confident putting a $2K bike on it so I ponied up the $350 or a Thule.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
First up was the repair stand that I bought from Sixstringsteve that he had bolted to a z-shaped mount to fit into a hitch receiver. I have a receiver on my workbench that I use for my vise so I started there. I soon got tired of the wobble and wanted it taller so I turned it into an L shape and started brain storming on getting rid of the wobble. The above wedge fit held so well that I'm making the bike rack using the same principal. I was at first worried about the rack coming loose but I can add a loop from 1/4" steel that I can use with a padlock to lock the rack to the safety chain connection on the hitch. If the rack vibrates loose, it still can't come out and can't be stolen. I'm planning to add a short piece of receiver tube to the bike rack so I can use the repair stand with the rack in place. Many ideas circulating about mechanisms to move the stand out of the way of the tailgate.

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Bike rack progress.

Two wheel baskets welded to the 2" horizontal spar.
Wheels are friction fit on my bike with 2.1" tires.
All that's needed to secure the bike is to lash each tire to the spar with a bungee.
The only part of the bike that touches the rack is the rubber tires.
The main support has a wedge fit in the receiver and will get shortened when I figure out how much room I need for the second rack.
I need to shorten the horizontal spars as well.
I'll weld a loop to the top of the main beam to create a lock point for bike security cable and safety chain in case the wedge comes loose.
I'm not happy with the spar/main support connection and will probably go with plates above and below with 4 bolts.
The individual racks must remain removable or this would be one heavy and unwieldy beast to store. Disassembled, it just remains heavy.

Empty Rack
bike_rack_empty_zpspfl9fbde.jpg

Rack with my 29er fits like it was made for it :)
bike_rack_29er_zpsp6ehagto.jpg

It works for a friends 26" as well since it has 2.1" wide tires
bike_rack_26er_zpsjng7wge9.jpg

For more flexibility with tire size (e.g. Fat Bike) I would add another piece to each basket to triangulate to the spar and then bolt them on with appropriate spacers.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
When I wanted to get a killer bike for my daughter I realized options are pretty limited. I ended up going through Spawn cycle out of Canada.

My oldest rides a 24" Diamondback. I dunno if it's killer, but it's definitely a step up from the Toys R Us bike-shaped-object he had before. He's about outgrown it, I think this will be his last summer on it.

Who else has a young one that rides? We should set up some family rides.

sixstringsteve

this was two years ago, but it's still every bit as exhausting to watch now as it was then.

Think you want to race enduro? (I did, before watching this clip)
[video=youtube;StPeEgz5Cfo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StPeEgz5Cfo[/video]

For those not familiar with Enduro, it's an interesting concept (and the biggest field of mountain biking right now). Races are broken into stages (4-7, depending). You have a set time to pedal the uphill sections.. Let's say an hour. If you don't make it to the top in an hour, you are disqualified. If you make it to the top in 15 seconds, and the next guy takes 59:59, it doesn't affect your ranking. You just have to get up within the allotted time.

let's say there are 5 stages. The race now becomes a downhill-style race. Everyone races one by one to the bottom of that stage. You collect your times. Then you start the next stage and start climbing to the next portion, trying to make it there before the allotted time is up. Repeat until your stages are all completed.

At the end, they add up your times from all 5 stages and see who got through it all the fastest. It looks absolutely exhausting... and scary. Mad props to those who race enduro.

The crazy part is, this video was the 3rd place run. Richey Rude, the winner that day, beat this time by 45 seconds!

Last edited:

rholbrook

My 16 yr old Harrison raced the Super D at Sundance Saturday. He entered as a CAT 1 13-18 yr old. He took 3rd in his category and 14th overall. The 1st place racer ran it in 6min 52 sec. second place was 7min 20 some odd seconds. Harrison's time was 7 min 38 sec. The first place racer posted the 2nd fastest time of the day including the pro riders. Harrison's time ended up being the 14th fastest time posted including pro riders. There were 125 racers

IMG_8212.jpg

sixstringsteve

Go Harry! I'm so proud of how well he's doing. thanks for the updates Russ, it's really exciting to see.

I'll be selling my Bronson soon if anyone's in the market for a killer 650b enduro bike.

rholbrook

[video=youtube_share;c1h44xmA7eo]https://youtu.be/c1h44xmA7eo[/video]
2016 race at Pomerelle in Idaho

[video=youtube_share;yIkAV3BWUso]https://youtu.be/yIkAV3BWUso[/video]
i like the looks of this one because the rear wheel is wobbling like crazy. This was from the Pro XTC race a few weeks ago

IMG_7038.jpg
2016 Super D at Brian Head