Any Mtn Bikers on RME?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Finally got my oldest started. He's riding a wally-world cheepie but he's loving it! I can't wait to get him a better setup now.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_15f2.jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_15f7.jpg

Trail: Luke's Trail in Price, UT

sixstringsteve

That's awesome. What a fun age. He's old enough to do cool stuff with you now.

It looks like you've got a pretty sweet bike in that pic. What do you ride?

sixstringsteve

Very nice, that's a sweet bike. GTs are so much fun to ride. I still miss my old GT distortion, that was such a fun bike.

I know it's a ways out, but I'll be back in Moab for the month of October. We should arrange a ride day or two out there.

My all-time favorite trail out there is called "the great escape" right by Gemini bridges. I can't wipe the grin off my face when riding that trail.

sixstringsteve

We've been rising in northern California this month and I had forgotten how different their trails were to utah. A harstail would be fine here. Lots of flow, germs, buff trails with little jumps in them.

IMG_20170519_081405_644.jpg

IMG_20170520_122857_869.jpg

We rode in the redwoods again last night. It was beautiful.

20170522_185313.jpg

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
A while back it seemed like tweeners with 29 fronts and 27.5 rears were a fad, whatever happened to that? Did those not work well or were they just too weird?

Because I'm not sold on a true fat bike but I do find myself casting longing glances at the plus size rigs with all that squish and traction patch and extra diameter. I've got 29x2.1 now, and not really any room in back to go much bigger (maybe a 2.3), but I've got enough clearance in front that I could probably fit a 3.3 or 3.5, what do you guys think about fat in front and skinny in the rear?

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
A while back it seemed like tweeners with 29 fronts and 27.5 rears were a fad, whatever happened to that? Did those not work well or were they just too weird?

Because I'm not sold on a true fat bike but I do find myself casting longing glances at the plus size rigs with all that squish and traction patch and extra diameter. I've got 29x2.1 now, and not really any room in back to go much bigger (maybe a 2.3), but I've got enough clearance in front that I could probably fit a 3.3 or 3.5, what do you guys think about fat in front and skinny in the rear?

I love my plus bikes. I want a plus FS now. Not sure I would like running different tire sizes front vs back, but I do like the plus size for everything I've ridden so far.

sixstringsteve

Would a 3.5 width fit in your chainstay?

I think plus bikes look awesome, but I've never has a lack of traction with 2.3 or 2.4 tires.

I think a trek stache would be a super fun bike.

sixstringsteve

Bback in the days and with my bmx I ran a fatter front tire (like a 2.3 up front and a 2.0 in the rear). I would usually do they when I needed more traction up front. As you know, narrower tires roll faster and are more efficient. If you're not having traction issues up front, and your only reason for going with a fatter tire is for a smoother ride, i'd suggest a fork tune/upgrade instead. I like x fusion forks for the money (but rs pikes are my favorite when money isnt an issue)

Last edited:

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
My projects for this weekend are a 2-bike, hitch mount, rack and modify the repair stand I just bought from Steve to allow for adjustable height.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have always ran a smaller rear tire than the front. I usually run a 2.35 or 2.4 front with a 2.2 or 2.3 rear. I also run more aggressive front tires and better rolling rears. My logic has been that the rear carries most of my fat and I usually run higher pressure in it because if it drifts a little in the corners it isn't as big a deal as the front.

That said my new to me bike is 2.35 front and rear and I'm liking it pretty well. I still have this irrational thought that I need a less aggressive rear tire and that it is costing me speed/energy uphill even though strava says otherwise.

On a side note,We recently bought my son a Specialized Rip Rock 20" plus bike and it is super sweet. He is 6 and has been riding 4-6 miles at Lambert once or twice a week. Last week we rode from the church to the top of Rodeo and down Rodeo. He is loving it.

riprock.JPG