BIG buggy build - 4 seat - build with pics

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I forget: why didn't you use the truck manifold?

Packaging.

IMO, it's really the only reason to switch to the car manifold. From what I've read, the truck manifold flows great, but it's also HUGE. Switching to the LS1 intake and the camaro oil pan saved a TON of real estate.

Someday I'll swap for a FAST intake, or LS2, or somthing that's still compact but flows better than the LS1. :-\ Those options are currenty $$$$.

I've got to give you a call sometime soon.

Coincidentally, I almost called you the other day. I was playing around at 5 mile pass in the TJ and thought about running to Toolie to say hi and see the landcruiser. The wife was with me and had other plans for the day though. :(

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
updates???

Not much to report.
Funds have been a bit tight lately. Uncle Sam wasn't kind this year. :-\
I'm about to pass that hurdle though. :)

I did receive a bucket load of body mounting tabs yesterday from AA-Mfg, and I'll be ordering my orbital valve within the next 2 weeks or so.

Finally, I pulled the jackstands out the other day. I need to have a few of my more "well built" buddies over to get in it, along with a bunch of tools, etc, so that I can measure the compression of the springs. After I have that measurement, I can order the rest of the coils.

Cliffnotes - I've been lazy lately because of no money and a cold garage.:-\

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I fully understand. :D Did you get anything worked out on that rear-steer valve?

Well... sort of...
I have a 2 way joystick (left - right), with a center button which will be used for the return to center function. The joystick's center button will be wired up to the "sense" switches that are on the knuckle of the rear axle.

I'll order the same dual coil solenoid that Cheston used in the mega-scout, but no, I don't have that yet.

One more minor update.
I picked up a micro-switch that I'll mount to the throttle peddle. It'll be used for the TH400's kickdown.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I know, I know, thanks for the painful reminder.... :-\
Extra cash has been a challenge. I just dropped $2400 on vinyl fence. :(
Don't ever start a buggy and move into a new house during the same timeframe. Bad, Bad idea.

I've also been spending a good deal of my time working on my father-in-law's projects (model A and a 51 ford F1). It's trade work for his pickup (2000 dodge 2500 with a V10). I need a tow rig. :p

There has been recent progress on the buggy though. :)
- Floors / firewall is currently going in...
- More wiring has been going on...
- Hydro res is being ordered this week...
- Minor details like grab bars, seat mounts, etc are all in the swim.

Here's a pic of my new shifter gate.

Attachments

• IMG_4842.JPG
    IMG_4842.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 16

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
One more pic.

Proof that it is actually a roller and hasn't decomposed yet.

Attachments

• buggy sm.jpg
    buggy sm.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 177

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
That does look good. Nice axles. :D

Gonna get it out this year?

I was majorly hooked up on those axles AND the TH400.... came from some cool guy in Tooele... I forget his name too... :rofl:

I'm coming down the home stretch for sure. Money will be the biggest obstacle to overcome. There are a TON of nickle and dime things to do.

- Trans rebuild
- Choose and buy a torque converter
- build a hood
- Buy another hydro cylinder and build a mount for the rear. Tie rods to go with this.
- plumb brakes
- buy steering wheel and mount it
- plumb steering (hydro res ordered yesterday)
- Buy a steering cooler
- Plumb trans cooler
- Make the top (it's going to be a removable rag top). Anyone know how to sew??? :confused:
- Wire the chassis (brake lights, cooling fan, headlights, etc)
- finish seat mounts, grab bars (in process)
- Buy and mount air bumps in the rear
- buy more coil springs once I figure out what rate I need.
- Anti-rock for the rear (possibly)
- figure out some sort of lockable, water resistant tool box to mount in the rear.
- I'd LIKE to get an oil accumulator, we'll see how that goes.