Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

sixstringsteve

So if you don't like the idea of an external snorkel, why not just reroute the intake through the fender to the backside of the firewall? Not that you can now, just curious.

I gave it some serious thought before choosing the safari snorkel. My buddy had a tube that routed the intake into the cab and it was annoyingly loud. It was fine for around town, but after a few minutes it gave me a headache and it was difficult to carry a conversation in the cab. Its a good solution for those that don't mind some extra engine noise in the cabin.

sixstringsteve

It had a k&n when I bought it, and they breathe great, but compared to a paper filter, they let more water And particles in. I swapped it out for a paper filter a few days ago and I haven't noticed a decrease in performance

Last edited:

Strautins

Stand-by for people asking you everywhere you go about the snorkel. I really enjoy the look they give me when I attempt to make them understand it's purpose... It's like there is a dick growing off my forehead haha

sixstringsteve

Haha, I've heard that.

Its just the ram air head that I don't like the look of. I dig the ones that are circular on top, but I hear those are best for slow speeds and they're bad for high speeds.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Haha, I've heard that.

Its just the ram air head that I don't like the look of. I dig the ones that are circular on top, but I hear those are best for slow speeds and they're bad for high speeds.

The pre-cleaners are absolutely fine to run at speed, anyone telling they are not has not run one ;) I've got them here if you want to test fit it for aesthetics one day. On top of the improved look (absolutely relative) they do an amazing job of knocking down the about of dust that makes it into the air filter element.

theferg

DD for Life
Damn. That was a looooooooooong read--33 pages in one month!!!

Nice job on this truck Steve! I totally dug your old maroon one (and talked to you a bit about it when you were selling it...). Love the 35s you do on these trucks...really making me want to do it on mine....too bad i *just* bought new 285s--which also rub all over the place anyway...

And that RTT rack is totally tops! Exactly what I want for mine. Wanna make another one? :D

Of course, I've gotta add 4 wheel drive to mine still too.... :rolleyes: Hey, at least its a TRD version so I have the rear locker...and I got a great deal for a low-mileage Cali truck. You say these trucks are expensive--while I was looking this summer I saw them for as high as $23k--59k miles, trd 4x4, supercharger--but still!!!

sixstringsteve

Nice job on this truck Steve! I totally dug your old maroon one (and talked to you a bit about it when you were selling it...). Love the 35s you do on these trucks...really making me want to do it on mine....too bad i *just* bought new 285s--which also rub all over the place anyway...

That's ok, new tires sell fast. :D

And that RTT rack is totally tops! Exactly what I want for mine. Wanna make another one? :D

Thanks. It's not that clean up close, but it serves its purpose. I suck at fabricating, but I'm sure there are a handful of people here who could build you something much nicer, much better. You're welcome to come measure it and copy what you want.

Of course, I've gotta add 4 wheel drive to mine still too.... :rolleyes: Hey, at least its a TRD version so I have the rear locker...and I got a great deal for a low-mileage Cali truck. You say these trucks are expensive--while I was looking this summer I saw them for as high as $23k--59k miles, trd 4x4, supercharger--but still!!!

Let's see some pics of your truck! Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. You've got one month to get it built. :D

sixstringsteve

The pre-cleaners are absolutely fine to run at speed, anyone telling they are not has not run one ;) I've got them here if you want to test fit it for aesthetics one day. On top of the improved look (absolutely relative) they do an amazing job of knocking down the about of dust that makes it into the air filter element.

This site here says to keep it under 80 Km/h. Then again, it's a 4x4 site quoting second-hand info. I couldn't find any FAQ or anything similar from Safari. Next time I'm up there I'll have to test fit one.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
This site here says to keep it under 80 Km/h. Then again, it's a 4x4 site quoting second-hand info. I couldn't find any FAQ or anything similar from Safari. Next time I'm up there I'll have to test fit one.

Which site?

I've have customers that have been running them for 10-15 years on daily-drivers, long commutes, towing, etc. Zero issues.

_MG_0079.jpg

Couple of 4.2L 80's running the smaller pre-cleaners, the one on the left drove from Alasaka to Argentina and couple hundred thousand other miles with the snorkel :D

ZUKEYPR

I don't think you will notice loss of mpg or noise, I ran one on my FJ40 for a spell and never noticed the sound.

I notice a very distinct change in sound on my Rubicon with the Safari Snorkel. Much more throaty sounding when I jump on it, but I like that. Huge difference in the amount of dirt and crap it lets in my airbox. I don't see remotely close to the crud that I used to without it, not sure why that is but that's the fact. I recently got rid of the K&N as well because if you're anywhere that the dust gets like talcom powder it goes right through that filter.

ZUKEYPR

This.

I absolutely froze last night. It was the coldest night camping.I've ever had. It was Aldo the.coldest temps I've ever had. I think I might have been warmer on ng ground tent but its impossible to now for sure. I really like it though, I'm glad I bought it..

Ever thought of buying or building a tent heater with in and out ducts? You could have Kirkhams cut it and so it up for you so that it's airtight. I did that with a tent many years ago and would head out to the swell when it was in the teens and be nice and cozy. You would only need a little platform to hold the heater that you could connect and disconnect. Just a thought

sixstringsteve

It's supposed to get down to 18° tonight , we will see how the wife and I do. I don't think I'll ever.run a tent heater but that's good info if.I ever.decide to.go.that.route.

I think the snorkel is improving my MPG. It only took half a tank to get to Moab. Not bad!