Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I'm a big fan of a pair of those chemical hot packs in your socks. Makes a huge difference on a cold night.

sixstringsteve

It got down to -3* last night and I wasn't nearly as cold as FYTO. I'm convinced it wasn't the tent's fault that I was cold, it was mine. This time I ate enough food before going to bed, we had two people in the tent, and I did a handful of situps before going to bed to get the blood pumping. I actually ended up getting too hot last night and I had to unzip my sleeping bag.

I had hand warmers in my socks both last night and at FYTO, and at FYTO they didn't seem to do much, but last night they were rockin.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Here are a few shots from this weekend.

IMG_2086.JPG

IMG_2097.JPG

IMG_2125.JPG

IMG_2132.JPG

IMG_2136.JPG

The night in the RTT was a lot warmer this time.

I learned a few more things about my rig this weekend.

1) the snorkel seems to give me slightly better MPG. I don't notice any extra noise with the snorkel, but that might be because I have a loud exhaust

2) RTT's suck to get wet, because when you get home you have to re-set them up and let them dry out. This means no driving your vehicle while the tent is deployed. Also, if it happens to be below freezing when you get home, you're not going to be able to dry your tent out.

3) I'm thinking I would have been happier with the ARB Pilbara model RTT. Granted, I've only spent 2 nights in the tent, so the jury is still out, but so far I haven't seen a huge advantage to the covered entrace to the tent. To me, the covering over the ladder doesn't serve much purpose to me. I realize it's too early to judge it with just 2 nights in the tent, but it seems like it'd be a lot easier if the ladder didn't have an overhang over it. I end up rubbing my head on it as I get out, sending a shower of ice crystals down my back. It'd also be easier and quicker to set up and take down if I didn't have to pull the overhang out. That being said, I'll reserve judgement because I may end up loving the overhang over the ladder in incliment weather, or in the sun... It's not a big deal anyway, I really like my RTT. I can't wait to try it in the summer

4) the positioning of the RTT makes my rear view mirror useless for anything other than checking to make sure my tailgate is still up. I knew that was going to happen, so no big surprise. I'm getting used to using the side mirrors, but I do miss the rearview mirror.

It probably sounds like I'm trying to talk myself out of a RTT. Not the case at all, I really like mine. I'm just trying to share my experiences with others that might be wondering what it's like to have one. I'm still not faster with my RTT than with my ground tent, but that's ok, I don't mind spending an extra minute or two setting up my tent. It's fun to sleep in, and I get a great night's rest when I sleep in it. I also like the fact that the tent is stored in a weather-tight bag so I don't have to worry about getting to camp and having my sleeping pad soaking wet from the rain.

Last edited:

ricsrx

Because I am alway pulling a trailer, i dont use the rear view mirror, you could relocate the mirror to the dash like i have seen on some older cars. that is if you are leaving the tent on the truck all the time.

sixstringsteve

Because I am alway pulling a trailer, i dont use the rear view mirror, you could relocate the mirror to the dash like i have seen on some older cars. that is if you are leaving the tent on the truck all the time.

Hey, that's a good idea! I plan on keeping the tent on the truck all the time. If I'm pulling it on and off, it kinda defeats the purpose of a RTT in my mind. At that point it become more of a pain than it's worth. I'm already getting frustrated with having to re-set up the tent after every cold trip just to dry it out.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
How long does it take you to set up the RTT? Looking at your rig makes me want to get one even more! I really would like to switch to wheeling something with more creature comforts and reliability.

sixstringsteve

I'm pretty slow. I've seen Kurt do his in under 2 minutes easy. it takes me about 2 minutes just to get the cover off. :D

I'd say 5-8 minutes to set up. But it's fun to set up, so I don't really mind it. I'm not in a race when I get to camp, so I don't mind spending a little time making my tent work for me.

With my down bag, I have decided not to leave it folded up in the tent all the time, especially when I pack it up wet. That being said, I'd sell my RTT for the right price.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Nice pics. I got a good chuckle out of the one where you're cooking breakfast wearing tennis shoes--that had to have been cold :D

Sounds like you're having the same frustrations as I did with the RTT...

sixstringsteve

Yeah, I realized that my tennis shoes weren't the best choice for this trip. At least o wasn't wearing my sandals this time. :D

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Right on. I was just curious about that because I've arrived to camp at dusk a few times just racing against time to set up the tent before it goes completely dark.

sixstringsteve

I know the feeling. I kinda like setting my tent up in the dark for some reason. The RTT is a lot easier to set up in the dark. You don't need to search for a flat spot, no kicking rocks out of the way, and it all stays put. It's pretty nice that way.

Last edited:

Rock Taco

Hey, that's a good idea! I plan on keeping the tent on the truck all the time. If I'm pulling it on and off, it kinda defeats the purpose of a RTT in my mind. At that point it become more of a pain than it's worth. I'm already getting frustrated with having to re-set up the tent after every cold trip just to dry it out.

I just got one of these for my truck for Christmas. It would work well with that dash bar you have in there.

http://axiaalloys.com/Rock Crawlers...view Mirror - Clamp Mount - Satin-Clear-Black

MOD9PRVM-400x400.jpg

XJEEPER

Nice truck Steve. I was wondering what you plan on doing for the holes in the front fenders? Prerunner units look pretty sweet and are functional, but not cheap (saw a black Taco in St G last weekend with baja front fenders and bedsides with a bed cage and linked rear.....sexy) so a simple inexpensive solution might be some of these: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...&srccode=cii_184425893&cpncode=30-103333865-2 or a similar plastic plug that could be rattlecan matched to the body color before installed.

My vote for your front bumper.......

Attachments

• KR prerunner taco.jpg
    KR prerunner taco.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 22

sixstringsteve

Oh, those holes will be covered. I'm putting the black factory flare back on the front. I broke a couple clips when I took it off, and today I grabbed some more clips from the dealer. Now it's ready to go back on. I was hoping to get the inner and outer fenders back on tonight. We'll see how it goes.

I dig the integrated light bars into that bumper. It's a little too pre-runnery for my taste, but it has some great lines. I'm going to pretty much copy this bumper:

Elite_FBumper_ToyotaTacoma_9504.jpg