Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

sixstringsteve

I enjoy wiring, it just takes about 10 times longer than I expect it to, especially the routing of wiring. I find soldering relaxing.

sixstringsteve

I replaced my front cat today. Hopefully that takes care of my CEL. The cat was definitely damaged. Now if I could only figure out what's clunking in the front end. It's coming from the driver's side. The steering rack has a bit of play in it, but I'm getting a metal clunk when I turn and hit a bump.

ttora4runner

I replaced my front cat today. Hopefully that takes care of my CEL. The cat was definitely damaged. Now if I could only figure out what's clunking in the front end. It's coming from the driver's side. The steering rack has a bit of play in it, but I'm getting a metal clunk when I turn and hit a bump.

Check the LCA bushings. I know on my 4runner the LCA bushings are shot and I get the metal noise when going over bumps.

theferg

DD for Life
CEL just popped up on mine right when we were hittin the road from Cali. Was drivin like a champ so I just *knew* it was going to be the damn P0420. Stopped right away at an autozone in CA and they arent allowed to pull codes for you in CA...so lame. Anyway, checked it the next morning at autozone in NV and sure enough. Now just gotta figure out whats up.... My entire exhaust system looks to be in great shape.... everything including the o2 sensors look almost brand new. It does however look like the second cat was replaced at some point and I cant tell if its factory or not and the welds on the tubing look like shite. Im thinking maybe a leak somewhere through the welds...

What cat did you use to replace yours? Factory?

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I just went to Rick's muffler and they threw one on for $385. They said it was a high quality one, that's all I know. For $85 they can analyze your system and find out which component is bad (front cat, back cat, front o2, rear o2). I took a gamble and just replaced the front Cat since it has 218k on it. The front O2 was recently replaced, so I figured it was probably the cat. We'll see if the CEL stays off.

cackalak

You can pick up the bushings for pretty cheap at Toyota. By the way, if your LCA bushings are shot, I'm sure the sway bar bushings are gone as well. I *think* I have Energy Suspension bushings from my old Tacoma still sitting new in the box. You can have them if you want them. I'll probably never use them. I'll double check tonight. (This offer is good for anyone else looking for a set).

ttora4runner

I'm guessing this is the culprit. With 218k on the stock bushings, they've gotta be moving around a bit. Who did you get your bushings from?

I haven't replaced them yet. I'm waiting till I move to do so. I'm probable just going to throw on some new LCA since the bushings will be already installed and I understand that changing the bushings just by themselves is a pain in the butt.

theferg

DD for Life
Well, I dropped in there and had them run a diag. Super nice guys, but they're diag didn't seem to come up with the exact culprit. They did find that the O2 sensors were within spec on the voltages (though they weren't totally sure, but I poked around the webs and found info that showed they were within range.) and so they say it must be one of the cats and they think one of them looks like its not great quality so its prob that one, but since they can't actually tell which one it is until they take one off, may as well do both. $780. Not what I want to spend $$ on at the moment so guess I'll be keeping the Cali tags for a while..they're good through August of this year....see if I can avoid the man until then... heh

But while I'm hijackin the thread over it anyway....what's anybody's thoughts on the URD rear sensor simulator? Interesting idea...says for offroad use only, but obviously could be used to get the CEL off and pass here in Utah (as long as the sniffer tests actually pass). I'm kinda weary of it though as why in the world would I want to run around long-term with bad or clogged cats? IIUC, you're gonna start boggin down pretty hard if a cat gets clogged. I guess if one were to empty the cats out so the exhaust could go ahead and still flow, then you would want this simulator in there to keep the CEL off, however, won't you still be failing the sniffer tests?

And finally, does Utah check for 2 cats?--Was thinking of replacing with a single cat but couldn't remember if that would fly here in Utah...

I just went to Rick's muffler and they threw one on for $385. They said it was a high quality one, that's all I know. For $85 they can analyze your system and find out which component is bad (front cat, back cat, front o2, rear o2). I took a gamble and just replaced the front Cat since it has 218k on it. The front O2 was recently replaced, so I figured it was probably the cat. We'll see if the CEL stays off.

Last edited:

Jeepj667

Your '02 doesn't get a sniffer test in SL County. It's OBD2 only. If you take it to a quicky place like Jiffy Lube they probably wouldn't notice the missing cat. I've been to a JL and seen them pass a guy who had power steering fluid pouring out (obvious failure). They even pointed it out to him.

sixstringsteve

I thought i heard that you can only have 2 codes. If you pull 3 codes, you can't pass.

I also think that only running one cat (or a non-CA cat for CA cars) will screw with the computer and it won't provide the right pressure. Gotta love it.

sixstringsteve

so far, no CEL, so I think I got lucky and replaced the correct cat.

Here are a few pics from a recent trip:

IMG_0879.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG

IMG_3147.JPG

IMG_0902.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

IMG_3154.JPG

IMG_0960.JPG

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Your snorkel looks silly without the RTT. You need to put it back on or people are going to think you're a poser. ;)

sixstringsteve

I just got back from salt lake where JL Rockies installed my remote starter. I've never had a remote starter before, but I like the idea of being able to start my vehicle from my kitchen or desk at work and arrive to have my car already warmed up. I like the remote lick and unlock. It has some very cool features and the price he did it for was way cheaper than it should have been, and he did a great job installing it. Thanks expoman.

If anyone is looking for a remote starter for these cold.winter mornings, shoot him a pm. You might be.surprised how affordable it is.