Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

blznnp

I want to get one for my truck, the wife's vehicle isn't as important since it seems to warm up quickly but the diesel could use it. I had it on my first car, helped in in the AZ summers, was also able to make the windows go up and down from the remote, that got some strange looks from people when the windows would roll down.

theferg

DD for Life
Damn steve. Youre a step ahead of me on everything youre doing. I dont have keyless at all right now and it blows. I need keyless and cheapy alarm asap but if remote start isnt much more, id for sure do it. Whats the username to PM? I tried to pm "expoman" and it says that user doesnt exist....

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Username: JL Rockies

I doubt it'll be much more.money over a standard alarm. Shoot him a text.to see.what he says.

Last edited:
I just got back from salt lake where JL Rockies installed my remote starter. I've never had a remote starter before, but I like the idea of being able to start my vehicle from my kitchen or desk at work and arrive to have my car already warmed up. I like the remote lick and unlock. It has some very cool features and the price he did it for was way cheaper than it should have been, and he did a great job installing it. Thanks expoman.

Careful, remote licks can be awkward.

theferg

DD for Life
Saw you on the interstate yesterday by TG Point. Truck looks awesome man. Really makes me want to tub and run 35s. Looks nice and low and yet still beefy.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

This weekend I headed over to Frieed's house to work on the front bumper. As with all projects, the hardest part is nailing down the details of exactly how we want to do it. We liked TG's bracket, and decided to build our own out of 3/8" stock.

2013-01-26_16-57-15_936.jpg

This was my first time welding with gas, and welding with 220v. It's really not very different, except that I can push the puddle uphill now. It's a bit tougher to see the puddle with the big gas nozzle on there, but with practice I'm sure it'll get better. I can't believe how easily it melts ridiculously thick metal.

2013-01-26_17-16-20_733.jpg

2013-01-26_17-16-26_288.jpg

That's as far as we got yesterday. Unfortunately two of the tow-hook nuts broke free inside the frame rail so I'm going to have to figure out a solution for that. I may end up drilling a hole in the frame and welding the nut through the hole. We'll see how it goes.

sixstringsteve

Frieed went to town in Google Sketchup and mocked these up. There will be a few tweaks (recovery points, and a few angles) and we're still pending a few measurements, but this gives a general idea of how we're going to do it. Suggestions of how to attach the outer shell to the subframe are welcome.

bumper1.png

bumper2.png

bumper3.png

bumper4.png

bumper5.png

bumper6.png

sixstringsteve

When we were mocking it up, the winch was taller than I had hoped, and it stuck out further than I had hoped. I'm trying to keep it as tucked in as possible, but I'm not sure on the final measurements. I think i'll be able to keep it close to the stock bumper profile. I'm a little concerned with airflow to the radiator, but I'm not the first person to ever mount a winch in front of a tacoma so I assume it'll be fine. I'll be putting some big vents in the front of the bumper to aid airflow.

blznnp

Looks good Steve, what thickness are you making the shell out of? At first I was a little confused on the bumper you were making(the inner part) didn't think that is what you wanted for a bumper, but then the other pictures cleared it up.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Frame is 3/8" (done), winch mount is 3/8" and proposed at this point, skin will be 3/16" and there are no supports shown yet for the skin.
-Frieed

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Man what happened to cardboard mock up? You guys with your fancy computer design stuff making things easier on yourselves.

Looks really good.