Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

sixstringsteve

I do like the way the speedglass covers your neck and the peripheral vision is cool, but I'm just fine with my cheap $40 auto-darkening helmet.

sixstringsteve

I got some work done on the front bumper today.

We cut these old, bulging caps out, welded the nuts, cleaned up the threads, then capped them.

IMG_3185.JPG

IMG_3186.JPG

IMG_3187.JPG

IMG_3188.JPG

IMG_3197.JPG

sixstringsteve

Then we cut the t-handle off the spool/free lever and welded on an old socket. Now I just need a 1/2" extension to activate it. That saved me at least an inch of approach angle.

IMG_3196.JPG

IMG_3199.JPG]

IMG_3198.JPG

Then Kyle, Rosa, Brandon, and I mocked the front plate up with cardboard. It turns out that cardboard is a lot tougher to cut straight than steel. After some measurements and eyeballing it, I had what I needed to get started with the steel.

It's a tight fit.

IMG_3200.JPG

Ok, maybe I do miss Eric's gas welder just a little bit, especially when mine shut down 4 times when I maxxed out the duty cycle.

IMG_3201.JPG

IMG_3202.JPG

I doubt this will stick out much farther than the stock bumper.
IMG_3203.JPG

IMG_3204.JPG

IMG_3205.JPG

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Lookin good Steve.

Just my luck you get to the fun stuff after a have to leave....

How did the flux core do welding those paint stirrers on?
You'll have to trim the ends with a grinder cause Plasma won't work on wood.
laughing.gif

Last edited:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
IMG_3201.JPG

Just so I'm understanding the setup, is the welded piece I see where the extension is going to fit into? Basically just requiring a small hole in the bumper that lines up?

sixstringsteve

You are correct spork. However, I think I'm going.to rotate the lever straight down so you access it from the bottom of the bumper.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
You are correct spork. However, I think I'm going.to rotate the lever straight down so you access it from the bottom of the bumper.

I'd worry about sticking the nose dropping off a ledge (remember muddy creek?) and not being able to get at the port to free spool the winch. I would rotate it up, ideally into the 45* angled section.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I'd worry about sticking the nose dropping off a ledge (remember muddy creek?) and not being able to get at the port to free spool the winch. I would rotate it up, ideally into the 45* angled section.

I agree, easier to see the hole and get the extension in so you don't have to stoop down to see where it is.

sixstringsteve

Good ideas. Maybe I'll rotate it straight up. Currently it sticks out a bit past the bumper. I'd hate to have it be the first thing that comes in contact with a rock, instead of the bumper.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Bumper looks awesome Steve. You are becoming quite the fabricator. I love how tucked that winch is.

As far as welding helmets go, I have a $59 auto darkening helmet from Northern tool. I saw it on Weldingtipsandtricks.com. It is hands down better than the HF and only slightly more expensive. Just a thought for inquiring minds.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
Steve, your truck is so sexy I burned my eyes just looking at it last night. It might have also been my eyes were unprotected while you were welding, but my bet it was from the truck.

Last edited: