Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

sixstringsteve

Great feedback, thanks Ryan. I'll be doubling them up (or maybe even tripling). That's just the type of feedback I'm looking for. Thanks.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

my buddy has a shrockworks and it's nowhere near that thick! Holy cow. Good feedback everyone, thanks. I think if I put another piece of 3/8" on each side of each mount I should be good. I'm just planning on welding it to the front of the plate and to the sides of the existing recovery points. In other words, it won't pass through the bumper to the winch plate.

sixstringsteve

excellent feedback, thanks UT410. I figred if 3/8" was good enough for shrockworks it was good enough for me, but I'm glad you and Ryan posted up. I'll definitely be beefing it up.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
That non pull thru design is pretty slick, as long as you burn them in good an hot you wont have an issue. I generally am not a fan of overkill but recovery points is one place I will not skimp on other than that I love the look of the bumper

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
how about a gusset on the top and bottom of each, tied into the face of the bumper. Make kind of an I-beam out of it.

sixstringsteve

the vain side of me says that'd be too ugly. :D

I think that'd still leave it weak in the center of the recovery point, just in front of the hole.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
So you're telling me you'd go with the ibeam if it were your truck ? ;)

Im not sacrificing any function with how I'm doing it, I'm just not choosing the ugly way. :D

I'm just saying maybe a small gusset on either side, nothing huge thats going to stand out. Just enough to give it some lateral support

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Rather than welding two tabs together I have spaced them apart before and ran a chunk of tube through the tabs with the correct ID for whatever shackle you are using. Then you could space out your tabs as far as you would like. I would recomend going as wide as possible that will still fit the throat of the shackle.

If it were me I would even box it back in with a dimple died plate or something even though its not needed but I am just throwing ideas at you here if that makes sense

Let me whip up a quick paint drawing....

shacklemunt2_zps8a403751.jpg

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

It's an I-beam on its side. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but that's a great idea. Fortunately I can wait to do that part. I'm hoping I can get most of the rest of the plates tacked together tonight. I've got a trip this weekend and I'd like to avoid a fix-it-ticket if possible.