Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I spent last night retrofitting my corner markers to work as turn signals.

How did you end up doing it? I just did these for a customer:

20130130_112952 (Small).jpg
They use the same style "twist-lock" bulb housings similar to the factory style so changing bulbs is easy and they are weather tight like the factory setup

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I heard that the turn signals are not allowed to share the same lens as the parking lights.
I failed safety inspection on 85 runner because of that. The inspector was fine with everything else that was done to the truck that didn't meet spec, but he was not okay with the blinkers in the parking lights.

sixstringsteve

How did you end up doing it? I just did these for a customer:

View attachment 79664
They use the same style "twist-lock" bulb housings similar to the factory style so changing bulbs is easy and they are weather tight like the factory setup

Very cool. I could only find crappy bulb housings at O-riley and they ended up being smaller than the bulbs. So by the time you cut the hole big enough to fit the bulbs, the housing fit through the hole too. :rolleyes:

I'll post up pics of what I did.

sixstringsteve

On the 2001-2004, the lower bulb is a dual-filiment bulb, so you can do that. i haven't wired it up that way yet, but that's the plan.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
You could get some of those small turn signals and mount them on your fender like a lot of newer cars are doing

sixstringsteve

headlight mod attempt #1: transplanting the lower signals to the upper signals.

2013-02-14_12-40-47_830.jpg

It ended up not working though. The bulb was hitting the glass, and I couldn't insert it all the way.

2013-02-14_12-41-49_707.jpg

I would have saved a lot of time if I'd just gone with this setup in the beginning:

2013-02-14_13-45-25_918.jpg

It took 3 auto parts stores to find a socket that would work. All the other sockets were too small. I think I'm going to have to solder a ground wire to the socket since it's made for a metal reflector. In the end, Kurt's method is definitely the way to go.

sixstringsteve

It's finally starting to look like a bumper!

IMG_3221.JPG

IMG_3222.JPG

IMG_3223.JPG

IMG_3224.JPG

Tomorrow I should be able to add a couple more panels to make it usable for the weekend.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
amazing how much different a few more plates make.
Looks really nice Steve.
Hard to believe there's a winch in there..