Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

sixstringsteve

yeah, you have to be careful with my truck. If you look at it too long without a welding mask, it's sexiness will burn your retinas and you'll have to put potatoes on your eyes the next morning.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
yeah, you have to be careful with my truck. If you look at it too long without a welding mask, it's sexiness will burn your retinas and you'll have to put potatoes on your eyes the next morning.
It was potatoes or a bottle of booze. I wanted the bottle but the wife said no. I was surprised that those were the only two home remedies I could find on welding forums.

sixstringsteve

Work has been so stressful lately. It's been nice to just come home and lose myself in the garage. I spent a lot of time working on the bumper tonight. I don't have much to show for it, but I like what I have.

A good friend let me borrow his band saw. I love this setup. The table is from swag offroad. This will be my next tool. Fabricating is so much more fun when you have the right tools.

IMG_3208.JPG

The evening was spent building these recovery points.
IMG_3206.JPG

I mocked them up and realized they sat about 1/2" too high. I like the look of the shrockworks recovery tabs, so I'm going for something more like those.
IMG_3207.JPG

So I trimmed off 1/2" and they were just the right size.
IMG_3209.JPG

Then I tacked them on so I could finish fitment of the front plate tomorrow. I'll burn these in with a big welder since they're 3/8" plate and my little 110 welder can't handle it. Slowly but surely it's coming along. You may notice I also clocked my free spool lever. It fits well in this location, and it'll be easy to access.

IMG_3210.JPG

IMG_3211.JPG

IMG_3212.JPG

IMG_3213.JPG

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

and here's a pic I found of the elite offroad bumper. They claim theirs weigh 95-110 lbs. That means mine will weigh about 400 lbs. :D

Posted for reference to help me design mine. I think I spend 90% of the time designing it in my head, and 10% of the time actually executing my plans.

5153084484_58b85a9999_b.jpg

sixstringsteve

No, but YOU build one with my tools. :D

You gotta start somewhere. My first creations weren't anything special, but they taught me how to use my tools. Besides, I REALLY suck with a bender. Big time.

airmanwilliams

Ive just got to get the material and a buddy of mine here in west bountiful will help me build it. Hoping to build one like this with a reciever in their somewhere for a removable winch cradle in the next month since I have time

Attachments

• _MG_1717.jpg
    _MG_1717.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 24

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
Steve, the bumper is looking really good. I have been thinking that stand and a portaband will be my next tool purchase. Right now I have to cut everything with a grinder, it sucks. I might make the table though. Anyway, bumper is looking good.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Porta-band + SWAG table = awesome fab tool. I've been using mine to make the cuts on the exhaust pipe for my truck and it's been great!

sixstringsteve

I got a bit more done today. Thanks to Frieed for letting me use his big welder.

I figured out a good way to mark complex lines over multiple angles using a rubber band.

IMG_3215.JPG

I finally got the front plate cut out and mounted where I wanted it.

IMG_3217.JPG

Then I ran out of wire. I'll have to finish the welding up tomorrow.

IMG_3218.JPG

IMG_3219.JPG

IMG_3220.JPG

It's taking a ton of time, but it's really turning out nice. I'm very happy with look and fit so far. Hopefully the wings go on quicker.

D

Deleted member 12904

That's always the way it goes. The only time I run out of gas or wire is when I'm making real progress.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
Thats why I keep an extra bottle around, and I buy the 55 pound spool of wire I very rarely run out anymore. Steve how thick are those shackle mounts?

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I would if you ever have to do any kind of side pull I think you will bend them pretty good, FYI every bumpper I make I use 1" thick shackle mounts and plug weld them from the back side of the bumper as well as grind a decent size chamfer in the base of them when welding them on