Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Will there be any protection for the bottom of that radiator tank or do you not predict anything to harm it? Seems pretty exposed, but I dunno if the factory bumper has it exposed too or not.

sixstringsteve

I just haven't installed the skids yet. Soon...

To-do in the next two months:

- replace lower control arm bushings
- get an alignment
- install rock lights
- install shower
- install ARB compressor and wire front locker
- install washer bottle
- replace radiator/tranny cooler (just as a precaution)
- wire winch

- install dual batteries someday

sixstringsteve

Here's a quick cell-phone pic of the bumper. I decided to grind the welds down and hit it with a quick coat of paint before heading out to the Newfoundland Mtns with Expedition Utah this past weekend.

2013-02-19_07-33-09_947.jpg

It's not done yet, but it'll at least keep the cops at bay. I need to finish plating it, do some frame tie-ins, and re-attack it with the flap disc to remove all the ripples. I still need to beef up the recovery points, and mount and wire the winch.

sixstringsteve

This Saturday I'll be replacing the lower control arm bushings. I could use a hand if anyone wants to yell bad words at my truck while we wrestle to get the lower bushings out. I have a good garage heater now, so it's a lot warmer.

I need to dol the following before my Hole in the Rock trip that's coming up.

- install helton shower
- trim rear fenders (they're rubbing at full bump)
- install budbuilt skids
- get an alignment

sixstringsteve

thanks, it's getting there. I'm not sure how I'm going to make it perfectly smooth yet, but it's good enough for now. I'm good at starting projects, but not so good at finishing them. :)

blznnp

What are you talking about, you truck was started an done in the amount of time it takes me to change leaf springs

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
thanks, it's getting there. I'm not sure how I'm going to make it perfectly smooth yet, but it's good enough for now. I'm good at starting projects, but not so good at finishing them. :)

Just try to get it as good as you can and use a bed liner, it's really good at covering up the little imperfections, it's tough and it looks good.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I think the more layers of paint I put on it the smoother it'll be. Bed liner would look ghetto in my opinion.

I used the Rustoleum spray on bed liner in a can on my bumper and grill. It's more like the rustoleum hammered finish than most bedliners just with a little rougher texture.