Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

sixstringsteve

20 MPH. If it has happened 5 min earlier, I would have been on the.freeway and I'd be dead right now. 20 MPH failure cost over $10k in repairs and it never drove the same after the repairs.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.

I've been researching LBJ failure since I picked up Clara from you, and that seems to be theme - there's lots of reports of LBJ failure out there, and I haven't run into anybody reporting one of them at high speed yet. It seems like it's always in a parking lot or on a low speed residential street or something. I wonder why.

sixstringsteve

I've heard of people rolling their rig 5 times while on the freeway with some horrible injuries. Its not limited to slow speeds.

PSA for all'96-2004 Tacoma/4runner owners: check your ball joints regularly.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Fwiw some Tacoma's qualify for a free ball joint replacement by Toyota under a recall action. Also, be very careful with aftermarket ball-joints. Some have been known to fail prematurely.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I have no doubt my old maroon tacoma had this same issue, but none of the guys who fixed it could pinpoint the issue. They all blamed it on a lifted vehicle, cupped tires, or just the nature of a mud terrain. I knew they were wrong and now I know what the issue was. I'll be replacing these every 100k. I am so happy to have that noise and feeling gone in the front end.

There are few things that irritate me as much as paying "professionals" to fix something only to find out that I know more than they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sixstringsteve

Today I got the rear wheel bearings and seals replaced at sixstates. I drained the diffs and filled them with new fluid. The brakes don't feel right after sixstates worked on the axle. They told me they had adjusted the rear shoes in quite a bit in order to get the drums off. They also soaked the backing plate/brakes in their parts washer for 15 min. I hope that didn't hurt the piston in the rear brakes, or any of the seals in there. The ebrake is absolutely worthless now, and the pedal has a mushy feel. I think the rear drums need to be adjusted. I'll be taking it back to them tomorrow to get that all dialed in.

Also, lately it's been missing every minute or two at a stop light. It really started acting up tonight, not running as well as it should. I threw some seafoam in it, and it actually idled better with the brake booster line off of the booster. This makes me think I either have a vacuum leak or bad plugs, wires, or possibly a coil pack. I'll see if it throws any codes tomorrow. I'm hoping a tune up with new plugs, wires, and maybe a coil pack will freshen it up.

It acts a bit like a clogged cat. I just put a new front cat in, I hope the back one isn't shot too.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

hm... maybe I'll do a fuel filter too. Who knows when that was changed last.

Could also be a dirty MAF. I'll try that first.

It seems to run a lot better when it's in neutral. When I shift into gear or put it in park, it stumbles and shakes the car a little.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Thanks. It's still a work in progress, but it's getting there. I need to finish the bottom part of it, then spend a day grinding it smooth, but it keeps the cops at bay for now.

sixstringsteve

steve i have 1 question about your truck builds.. to me one of the biggest pros of a truck vs suv ( 4 runner, cruiser ect) is having a bed for my dirtbikes but with your builds you never are able to load bikes in the back.

does that bother you or are you just so used to trailering and only being able to take 1 bike that it doesnt matter?

Not a problem!

IMG_3068.JPG

sixstringsteve

I just thought I'd update this thread to say how much I'm enjoying this truck. It's the perfect truck for me. I don't find myself wishing for another vehicle (except another Miata). I'm VERY happy with it.

sixstringsteve

I'll be buttoning up a few loose ends on this thing before a trip in a couple weeks.

- install aux tranny cooler, drain fluid, and bypass stock cooler
- install shower
- finish bumper
- install winch and wire it
- install skid plates
- find a wheel to install my full-size spare (and look into mounting it under the bed???)

Eventually I need to get a compressor and wire the front locker too.

Last edited:

blznnp

I still have the firestone an Thomas compressor an a 5 gallon air tank that you could use till you get your stuff