Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

sixstringsteve

I got my B&M tranny cooler mounted last night.

IMG_20130416_242434_080.jpg

IMG_20130416_120624_954.jpg

Tonight I'll be replacing the fluid and bypassing the stock cooler.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I used factory bushings. They hold up a lot better than energy susp. Those new A-arm bushings really stiffened things up in the front. if you've got a front end that clunks in dips/turns, that could be a contributing factor (along with TRE's and BJs).

sixstringsteve

are you worried about anything in your front end when you lock it up?

Nope. I carry a spare CV, outer TREs, and lower BJs when I do a big trip (like the Rubicon), but I'm one of those guys who likes to carry spares just in case anyway.

Here's why I"m not worried:

Even without a locker, the weakest link in the front end of a 1st gen tacoma is the spider gear(s). (not the CV's like most people think).

The real reason I'm running an ARB up front is because it completely replaces the spider gears. The ARB spider gears are BEEF. I don't even have the locker hooked up yet, I'm just running it for the peace of mind of not having to worry about my diff blowing up. Eventually I'll run the air lines and get the locker working.

That being said, I don't wheel very hard, and when I do, I don't use the front locker unless I absolutely have to. If someone sold cromo replacement spider gears, I would have just run those and kept the front diff open. If I can't crawl it with the rear locker engaged, I probably shouldn't be trying it. I like the idea of having a front locker in case I ever get into an emergency/remote situation where it's the difference between hiking out or driving out, but I don't plan on using it more than 2 times a year.

Now that I have the beefed up spider gears, the weak link moves to the CV. Since I have the ADD, the CVs are stronger than the manual hub CVs (which love to break just inside the hub gears). Most parts stores have lifetime warranties on their CVs, so I usually buy one before a big trip, then return it if I don't need it. Other front-end spare I'll bring on a trip like the Rubicon are: lower BJs and TREs (mainly outers). The steering rack gets sloppy with big tires and lots of wheeling, but I'd rather replace a rack every 5 years than have a solid axle up front. For the type of wheeling/camping I do, a solid axle doesn't make sense. I love the simplicity and strength of a solid axle, but the IFS ride is SOOO nice on a long 100 mile dirt road.

Last edited:

Max Power

Bryce
You spent a lot of money on an ARB just to let it sit there. I would be happy to hook it up for you. It's cake.:) I hope you at least have the air inlet to the locker capped so you are not getting dirt and water in there.

sixstringsteve

Maybe, but I haven't needed the front locker yet so I see it as good prioritization with what I need. :)

I've got a lit of other little things that are a higher priority right now. I'll eventually get it wired up, but I'll use my skids, rock lights, and shower more than my front locker. It'll eventually get wired though. Thanks for the offer though.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Love the updates :cool: Out of curiosity do you have any regrets or things you want to change? Upgrades you want to do sooner than later?

sixstringsteve

Love the updates :cool: Out of curiosity do you have any regrets or things you want to change? Upgrades you want to do sooner than later?

hm... what would I do differently if I were to do it all over again???

1) I would have given it a tune up right away: spark plugs, wires, and air filter
2) I would have added the tranny cooler sooner. If I had known how quick and easy it was, I would have done it sooner. I'd also think about doing a bigger cooler, since it can't hurt. an 11x11 would be hard to fit behind my bumper and winch, but I think it could be done.
3) I'm not sure I would have gone with a snorkel. It looks pretty dumb in my opinion, but I checked the air filter the other day and it's super clean. So there may be something to say for breathing that cleaner air up above the airbox. If I didn't do the snorkel, I would have had to come up with a different solution for the air intake since the airbox tube basically sits right above the pass wheel, where it fills up with dirt fast. The snorkel is probably my only regret.
4) I wish I didn't have to run wheel spacers, but it's next to impossible to find an alum wheel with the right backspacing.

Updates I want to do sooner rather than later:
- rear bump stops. I only get into the fenders once or twice per trip, but I don't like hearing the tires rub the flares.
- install the shower soon. Multi-day camping trips are really nice with a shower
- get the winch wired woon
- install skids
- put more gas in it and get out more.

I am super thrilled with this truck. It takes me everywhere I want to go, and it does a great job. Super reliable and it's the perfect rig for me. If this vehicle didn't exist, I'd probably get a newer taco and do the exact same thing to it. Aside from the snorkel, I think it's the perfect truck. I learned a lot from my past 2 tacos and my 4runners. This one is just the way I want it. I'd love a CBI rear bumper too, but that's $900 I don't need to spend. They do make a sharp rear bumper though.

The best thing I did with this rig was buy from a guy who took care of it, and buy from CA. It has zero rust, and so far I haven't run into any seized bolts.

sixstringsteve

Here are a few pics of the 95% complete bumper.

My first bumper build. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it'd be, but it took a lot longer. $200 into it, plus about 60 hours. I got a little too aggressive with the flap disc one late night. I need to clean it up and get the lines straight. It's about 95% done, I still have a bit of work to do (like beefing up the recovery points).

IMG_3656.JPG

IMG_3917.JPG

IMG_3810.JPG

IMG_3808.JPG

IMG_3627.JPG

IMG_3603.JPG

And a few close-ups in case anyone wants to design something similar. Don't hate on my crappy flap disc skills, I need to go back in and clean it up.

IMG_3343.JPG

IMG_3342.JPG

IMG_3341.JPG

IMG_3339.JPG