Build Thread: Sixstringsteve's 2002 Tacoma double cab: Carlos

Dont do it cause I cant afford it right now!

Ha, no kidding. I'm thinking "what kid can I buy this for?" Screw that, maybe I'll just buy it for their dad...sell the jeeps, trailer & tow rig and come out ahead.

I've been wanting to do this trail. We were down there at the Rubicon last week, contemplating this trail among others. Maybe next year...

Posted this morning on the Dusy-Ershim thread. Short memory?

Last edited:

LT.

I believe we all have some problems with being happy with what we have. I always want something bigger and better myself. Hell, most of my buddies are wheeling on duece and a half axles and some are on 54" tires. No way can i keep up with them off road. I know it and i wont try to deny it. However, i am still street legal. That opens up quite a few possibilities that are not available to them.

On a side note, i would love to have your truck and more importantly, your building skills.

LT.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
If only I had nothing better to do with $80k...

Oh come on... that is assuming you start with a brand new one and including tax :D

I've got customers building 200's they picked up in the $40k range, they can be fairly setup for under $50k. My next build will likely be a 200 :cool:

sixstringsteve

What's the motivation to sell it? It's DIALED; very capable across a pretty broad spectrum. I would think that now you'd just drive the wheels off it and just make little refinements here and there as needed. Or is it more about the thrill of the build?

more boredom than anything. I'm done building trucks for a while. It makes no sense to sell it, it's a fantastic truck that has been meticulously maintained and in great shape. No need to sell it, and anything else I bought would need tons of preventive maintenance to equal the reliability of this thing.

It makes no sense to sell it, it's a fantastic truck that has been meticulously maintained and in great shape. No need to sell it, and anything else I bought would need tons of preventive maintenance to equal the reliability of this thing.
...the more I think about it, the less sense it makes to sell this rig.

Exactly! Enjoy the fruits of your labors for a while.

Dusy next year?

sixstringsteve

Nah, running Dusy would just make me want to sell it more. I enjoy camping with friends away from it all more than hardcore crawling. While I haven't yet taken this rig to its limit, I don't intend to do any crazy trails with it. I need it to be damage free and reliable for multi-day trips over hundreds of miles.

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Come run the Kokopelli... you'll love your 35's and sliders when you're dropping down Rose Garden Hill. The lockers will be nice when you're throttling your way out of the Cisco Wash... :greg:

Pretty sure that was on your list of trails to run in the future... ;)

sixstringsteve

I'm glad the thoughts of getting something else have been fleeting. I'm back on board, loving my truck, not wanting anything else. I think the idea of fall/winter camping is getting me excited to use the truck again.

sixstringsteve

Still undecided. There are lots of options this weekend.

I'm not going to lie Kurt, your latest update to your build thread got me excited to get out and get this truck dirty.

EDIT: I'll be with WC

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

One thing I'll say about this rig: although it was capable enough to do the Rubicon, it beats a truck up like this to take it through. We didn't have any issues, and nothing on the truck broke, but it was a rough trip.

I know most people will disagree with me, but if I were to rock crawl this much, I'd swap it over to a 5-speed. I can't stand crawling with an auto. If I'd had a 5-speed with duals on the Rubicon, it would have been much smoother and easier the rig. Autos are convenient for 99% of driving, but I'll take a manual any day for rock crawling.

sixstringsteve

The steering rack has had some play in it since the day I bought it. It's starting to leak, so I think I'm just going to replace it with a new one from the factory. 225k miles, and 35's with wheel spacers... I couldn't ask for more out of a stock rack and pinion.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
One thing I'll say about this rig: although it was capable enough to do the Rubicon, it beats a truck up like this to take it through. We didn't have any issues, and nothing on the truck broke, but it was a rough trip.

I know most people will disagree with me, but if I were to rock crawl this much, I'd swap it over to a 5-speed. I can't stand crawling with an auto. If I'd had a 5-speed with duals on the Rubicon, it would have been much smoother and easier the rig. Autos are convenient for 99% of driving, but I'll take a manual any day for rock crawling.
I agree with you 100% If there was a simple way to swap in a 5 speed I would do it today!