Can we talk dogs?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
i've had several dogs throughout my life and now i will probably never have anything but a heeler. i've had two (blue and red) and they are the best dogs out there if you're okay with a dog that sheds. everyone says they are high-energy but our dogs have been super relaxed and all the other heelers i know are very chill as well. they are very intelligent, obedient and affectionate. both of our dogs were adopted and i don't know that i'll ever get a puppy again. our first one was 6 when we got her and she was trained well by the previous owner but he also abused her. she was an amazing dog and i miss her all the time. our current one we adopted when she was just over a year and she was also neglected and abused. she took a little bit of training to adapt to a "normal" life with people that love her but now she is the easiest dog ever to have. it was still a lot easier than getting a puppy, they are a lot of work.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Get a beagle, that will solve all future requests for a dog (grin).

My first dog was a beagle, or if you want a more accurate description, a nose with a dog attached. If you're into rabbit or bird hunting (not water fowl) they will find it (along with anything dead to roll in). You got to watch them because they will eat whatever you give them, don't give them an automatic feeder unless you want a 40 pound beagle.

I had an American Eskimo and she was a great dog, smart and could keep up with the kids but calm enough I could come home without the house destroyed. When she was young she liked to chew on things but outgrew it. She would fetch a ball until you got tired of throwing it. Strangely she liked water, yes this is a white long haired dog that likes to swim in ponds, puddles, streams, etc so she was a little gray after a visit to the farm. The biggest problem is the long hair, we went through a vacuum a year with all the hair, if you collect it you can probably knit the kid a sweater every year. The hair allowed her to be more of an outdoorsy dog, in the winter I think she preferred to be outside. She did bark when the doorbell rang, strange noises outside, or people came over but stopped once they got past the entry way (bark sounded a lot bigger than she was so she was a good watch dog). My American Eskimo died about a year ago, I believe she was about 14, we got her when she was about a year old so age is approximate.

After the Eskimo died we inherited a Dachshund, it's not the dog you want, it's short, dumb, and a couch potato (if he can get up there). It made the Beagle look like a rocket scientist. I think I'd take a dozen cats over this thing.

My folks had a lab/pointer cross, it was a good dog, energetic and smart, kept up with my dad out on his farm. Could keep up with the 4wheeler running about 25-30mph going the mile out to the pasture. It's not exactly a small house/yard dog though unless you want a hole where the lawn used to be. I'd still take it over the beagle and dachshund though.

ID Bronco

I like labs, they shed a little, but not bad and they don't stink like other dogs when wet. Ours is very mild mannered, smart, trainable, loves our kids and hunts with me. Great in the cold here in Idaho and does allright in the heat. Chocolates are my favorite but I don't think it matters. They can be had cheap too.

Get a basset hound! I love my basset, super calm (lazy), great with kids, etc.... Only bad thing is that if you let him off the leash he ha a hard time not following his nose...
Checkout Utah Friends of Basset Hounds.... That's where we got ours, great people, great adoption cost, and they just so happen to have a litter of pups right now!

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Get a basset hound! I love my basset, super calm (lazy), great with kids, etc.... Only bad thing is that if you let him off the leash he ha a hard time not following his nose...
Checkout Utah Friends of Basset Hounds.... That's where we got ours, great people, great adoption cost, and they just so happen to have a litter of pups right now!

I've been thinking about going to see this girl - http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24400359

The idea of a basset-shepherd mix makes me laugh. :)

pELYgroso

'Merica
Kevin, if you don't want a dog, DON'T GET ONE. We have 2 dogs. I had one of them when I was single and it was nice to have around and to accompany me wheeling, etc. My wife had one that her ex gave her before he left on his mission. now 6 years later, they don't get a lot of attention because we have a 2 year old and I work a lot and like to hang with family when I get home. They are both medium size dogs that don't shed much and they would do fine indoors but we tried that at our last home and even though they were well behaved, never went pee or poo indoors, etc. the general dirtyness that came from having a couple dogs in the house is too much for me. My wife would let them inside and sleep in our bed if I let them, but that's not happening. So now, they hang out in the large kennel that I made them and get let out every few days and get taken out of the yard every month or so....not worth having IMO. And even though the wifee loves the heck out of them, guess who takes care of feeding, cleaning the kennel, etc. Me. If it were my choice I'd try and find a family for them who really wants a couple of well mannered dogs but despite the lack of attention that we give them, they're not going anywhere as long as my wife has anything to say about it.

My point -you will probably end up taking care of the dog's needs much of the time. If you can see yourself in my position in a couple years or if you're not 100% ready for a dog, don't get one. If you are, go for it!

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Fender hates me :(

My parents and a good friend have some of the best tempered and happiest dogs I have ever met. Years ago they all told me the secret to dogs in general and I couldn't agree more: You have to love your dog(s) and treat them like family. Its that simple.

I have a Golden Retriever (3yr. old) and a Siberian Husky (1yr. old) both picked up for cheap/free as young puppies. My Golden was a nightmare for 2 solid years and the Siberian has been really good for the most part. At this point I can't imagine not having them around they make us very happy. The Golden is my daughters best friend and he even fights off monsters when she gets scared at night :p My advice is take your dog with you wherever you go (within reason) and don't exclude them from camping/hiking/outdoors/4wheeling trips unless there's a good excuse. Let them interact with other dogs and people as often as you can and spend the time to teach them right from wrong on a daily basis while forgiving them when they screw up. I hope this doesn't cross any lines but I think every kid deserves a good dog and the responsibilities that come with them.

Spending the time to research the breed is key even if its a mix ;) 85% of dogs will work for most people but that 15% could make you miserable and hate them forever LOL. Hope this helps,

Andrew

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Nobody has mentioned fostering a dog yet... Most dog rescues run fostering programs. We fostered a few labs a few years ago and it was a great experience. Basically we would pick up a dog about to be put down from a pound or from a desperate owner and take care of the dog for a few weeks until they found the dog a permanent home. You always have the option to adopt the dog yourself... this way you get to "test drive" the dog for a few days. After having done this a few times, it became obvious that the dog's true personality doesn't come out until about day 3. We fostered some great dogs (better behaved than the dogs that have lived with us for 5+ years...)

Chevycrew

We have a rotten/lab and a husky/malamute/lab, I'm a firm believer that its not the breed, but how they are raised. My dogs are part of the family, and love going anywhere with us.

flexyfool

GDW
I think the dog breed is very important -- assuming it is a pure breed. That's the reason for breeds. With enough attention, the breed traits can be overwritten. There is also a natural spread in the behavior range and working/pet/show lineages to consider. For the average pet owner though, it is easier and safer to stick with pure breeds that have traits favorable to being a pet. Most people should play the odds and stick with the popular pure breeds.

Amateur dogs. These are breeds I would recomend for pets:
Golden or labrador retrievers have a consistent and mild temperament. They are adaptable. As long as you heavily exercise them every day or 3 and are friendly with them, you don't have to worry much about misbehaving. They almost train themselves. Serious problems like biting, chewing, excessive barking, running away, or seperation anxiety just don't happen if they get that occasional heavy workout and are treated well. They are readily available and are almost always healthy. They shed but don't need brushing and don't pick up mud or brambles. Puppies sell for $50-$200. They are good for owners with a busy but outdoor active lifestyle.

Spaniels have similar temperament. They are much less active and smaller. They require attention to coat, ears, and eyes. They are expensive to purchase and maintain. Many suffer from chronic health issues. Cockers are good for older people who can get out and walk but not necessarily work the dog hard.

The setters are real sweet. They are less active than the retrievers. They need daily moderate exercise rather than infrequent intense workouts. They need to be around people else they chew and dig. They tend to be healthy. They are good for households with busy stay-at-home moms.

Expert dogs. These are breeds I would not recomend as pets unless you have time & patience to train it or have acreage for it to run. Many of these dogs find their way to the pound because they are not trained properly as puppies.

Anything with "shepherd" or "collie" in its name can be overactive and agressive. These dogs need to be socialized when young else they become protective, snappy, yappy, mean. Also, ranchers still use these dogs in the west and midwest so you are more likely to find a dog from a working lineage rather than a pet or show lineage.

Anything with "hound" can be difficult to control and is going to bark and disappear over the hill on you.

Anything with "pointer" needs heavy and daily exercise. They are expensive to purchase and hard to find actually. The books describe these dogs as similar to retrievers and setters, but I think in the west they are bred only for hunting so are high strung.

Anything with "terrier" needs to have a moderate level of attention or activity throughout the day else they get bored and misbehave. Same for poodles. Poodles are clean. They don't drop hair all over the house. The hair must be clipped. Poodles live a very long time.

The small breeds frequently have disagreeable personalities and seperation anxiety. Everybody in the house hates it except its champion. Usually mom or sis. Since they are so small, they are minor annoyances and they are easy to pawn off on other people when you go on vacation.

The very large breeds have health problems and dominate the house(cleaning). They are docile. They do well with little attention. Any trace of agression has been bread out of them.

Guard dogs: Rottweilers. Dobermans. Akitas. Yeah, they can be great. You have to train them so well or keep them in protected environments else you'll be staring at a lawsuit or a visit by a control officer -- whether deserved or not.

Mixed breed mutts: Who knows? They certainly tug at the heart strings when you see them in the pound or superskinny wandering down a side street because you know their likely fate is the gas chamber or needle. And, you probably grew up with one as a kid -- especially if you are old enough to remember the 70's.

Get a golden doodle. Golden Retriever & Standard Poodle. Total chill dog, super fun when you want to have fun, sleeps the rest of the time. Very smart, easily trained. DOESN'T SHED! Maybe a few hairs a year. Pretty much non-allergenic too. Good in the house and traveling dog. They come in different sizes, depending on the parents.

I'm a siberian husky dog type of person, so it was a tough sell once we became dog people again after 15 years of no dogs. We got ours for $700 from a lady who breeds them in Ogden. We got on a list and visited when the puppies were a couple weeks old, picked out Jack, then returned when it was time to pick him up. Great experience, very caring, kind environment.

Also, we pack-walk and do other Cesar Milan (Dog Whisperer) stuff. Works great, very well behaved, but much of that is the breed. You are welcome to come over and meet him.

Brett

My kids wanted a dog really bad. My only requirement was that it didnt shed. I am extremely allergic to shedding dogs. We found a Maltese Yorkie (Morkie) mix that has worked out really well. Very mild mannered, not yappie and likes children. I have been looking at getting a Golden Doodle which is a Golden Retriever Standard Poodle mix. The neighbors have two and they are great dogs. You have the temperment of a Golden Retriever with the smarts and nose of a Poodle and they dont shed either. I paid $200 for the Morkie and he has been with us now for 4 years and is pretty much one of the kids. Great dog.

2nd the Doodle

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
We adore our Weimaraner, but she can be a handful at times. She is very intelligent and VERY family friendly. She has a great temperament and loves being outdoors. She is a high energy dog, but has slowed down with age. Now a days she likes to lay around most of the time, but still loves to get out into the mountains or desert and do some running.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I hated all the things that go along with dogs but unfortunately I love my dogs. We have an Aussie/blue heeler and a collie/ Aussie. The heeler is my best friend. She is six, we got her as a pup and she ruined everything for a year. The second was also a pup but a year and a half later. The older one must have trained the younger because she was a model pup. My 1/2 heeler can keep right on my back wheel at Lamberts or Af doing 20mhp. I am already dreading loosing her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
My buddy has a golden doodle and it's super smart, but it's a whirlwind of energy. If it would mellow out a little bit, it would be a perfect dog (other than it just looks like a puss--it's like an overgrown purse dog). It's 19 lbs full grown....which is just a little on the small size for a camping dog IMO.

I love dogs and would love to have one, but the types of activities I do just aren't really dog friendly. Plus, I'm never home so it would have to make itself food, take itself out, and throw a ball for itself most of the time.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
my daughter has some lab mix puppies she is trying to get rid of... I tried to find the picture I had of them but its gone just like my mind.... let me know if your interested and I will have her send pictures of the ones she has left...

19 lbs is a little small.

Our dood is 73 lbs, and has matched my speed in the truck at 30mph.

You can definitely bring out their inner poodle depending on how how they are groomed. We shave Jack 3-4x a year. Then we watch him slowly morph from a yellow lab into the Shaggy D.A.. All the while not shredding, of course. :-D