Can we talk dogs?

Tebbsjeep

My family has had pit mixes and I've been around quite a few pits. Most of the ones I've been around have been sweet dogs, but I certainly wouldn't want to be on the receiving side of an angry one.

I've come across some aggressive ones on a few walks, but those have been in yards or with owners that obviously aren't fit to have a dog. Having said that, I've been bitten the most by "whatever doodles" and the occasional hound dogs. The most terrifying experiences I've had with aggressive dogs has been with German shepherds. I've never understood those people who want the biggest baddest dogs either.

My basic rules when it comes to owning dogs:

-Never own a dog that I couldn't kill with my bare hands if needed.

-Kids should never be left alone with any dog.

-Dogs should always be on a leash when in public or could encounter public(hiking trails, parks, etc) most of the encounters I've had wouldn't have happened if this was followed. Not saying you can't take reactive dogs out for walks(muzzled), but nobody should be worried about unwanted interactions with dogs. Kind or not.

Also if pack mentality is introduced then all bets are off. That's straight up scary when it happens.

ID Bronco

My family has had pit mixes and I've been around quite a few pits. Most of the ones I've been around have been sweet dogs, but I certainly wouldn't want to be on the receiving side of an angry one.

I've come across some aggressive ones on a few walks, but those have been in yards or with owners that obviously aren't fit to have a dog. Having said that, I've been bitten the most by "whatever doodles" and the occasional hound dogs. The most terrifying experiences I've had with aggressive dogs has been with German shepherds. I've never understood those people who want the biggest baddest dogs either.

My basic rules when it comes to owning dogs:

-Never own a dog that I couldn't kill with my bare hands if needed.

-Kids should never be left alone with any dog.

-Dogs should always be on a leash when in public or could encounter public(hiking trails, parks, etc) most of the encounters I've had wouldn't have happened if this was followed. Not saying you can't take reactive dogs out for walks(muzzled), but nobody should be worried about unwanted interactions with dogs. Kind or not.

Also if pack mentality is introduced then all bets are off. That's straight up scary when it happens.

So why has your family chosen pit mixes? Those rules are pretty much what I think too. But the recent killings were in their own yards. Yikes.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Don't forget about this one. 3 pitbulls were running around the neighborhood attacking people. This story doesn't say they were pitbulls but the original story did. That shows that this issue gets politicized both directions.

Tebbsjeep

So why has your family chosen pit mixes? Those rules are pretty much what I think too. But the recent killings were in their own yards. Yikes.
Agreed the stories are sad. The one above was a pack roaming around and that can be a problem with lots of breeds. There are details missing from the other stories like was the kid in a costume, left alone with the dog, was it a nervous dog, etc. The other one could be the dogs protecting the pups, no familiarity with the older woman. All of these dogs could've not been properly socialized or trained. @Houndoc probably could share more insight on behavior, as I'm no professional at all.

As for my family liking them, they're goofballs with funny personalities, and they've been nothing but sweethearts with us. They are great with my kids and all of nieces and nephews too. They also make good alarm systems to sounds outside. We've had boxers, Boston terriers, American bulldogs, and other mutts as well. But like I said, I don't trust any animal to be alone with my kids. Not a chance I'm willing to take. Animals have instincts that can break through any and all training given the right circumstances. I'm especially cautious around shy and unpredictable dogs. I don't like even being around them. My brother in law has had two dogs like that, and I won't put my kids down when the dogs are present.

I'm not trying to sway anyone in either direction. This has just been my experience with dogs I've been around. I think a bad dog, is a bad dog, and if certain tendencies have been shown then just put it down. In the extreme cases of course. In the end they're animals, and people win over animals any day of the week.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I don't know why they are chosen... but I do think they are sort of demographically for the poor and ghetto. It's super rare to see one in an upscale place.

I don't know how to punish the deed. Better minds than mine should be able to create a fair law.. but it would also have to be followed and implemented well.

I do know many many dogs are 'known' to animal control that continue to be allowed to be kept. I went to court over a pit mix once (witness for animal control). They had issues with a particular dog for years, but no ability to remove it from the home.
I about fed it a .380 one morning in my own back yard.. but a through and though would have hit my boat.. so I didn't.
Not to say that a properly raised dog can't do something bad but most behaviors can be handled by proper training. My BIL who is a vet has had Rots and American Staffordshire Terriers, a bully breed for many years. They have competed for years with their Amstaffs in agility competitions without an issue with people or other dogs.

STAG

On my grind
I’ve always had a soft spot in my heart for Dobermans.

My parents have always been against the idea of me getting one, apparently my dad had one in the 80’s, he said there was an incident where his Doberman bit my older cousin in the face when he was a kid. The bite left an immediate deep gash from ear to mouth (like a Joker scar).

My dad says it was unprovoked, that my cousin did nothing to the dog. I refuse to believe it was that case because I know the personality of that cousin is totally the type that would have taunted/teased him, especially when no one was looking.

My dad believes that the Doberman breed, specifically, have issues because their head doesn’t grow enough for their brain so it causes excessive pressure resulting in unexpected behavior that can manifest in unprovoked aggression. I have no idea if that’s true or not, but I still bet there was some kind of sign before the bite. Ears back or something. I was still in my dads balls at the time so I wasn’t there to witness it.

Either way, I know I’ll still have a Doberman someday, against my parents wishes.

I've been bitten by a German shepard, completely unprovoked when I was much younger. I didn't even know he was there until he latched onto my leg and wouldn't let go. No barking and not a sound. I figure all the folks who claim their pitbull or rottweiler are such sweet animals have likely never been attacked by a full-size dog. Definitely one of the most frightening situations I've ever been in.

DAA

I've had a pit and a Rottweiler. Family members currently have four Rottweiler.

I have loved them all. But. Major but. If you aren't very fully prepared to put in the hours with these dogs. And I mean many, many hours. You have no business owning one.

Also have family with both German Shepherd and Belgian Malinous. The above goes triple for the Malinous. Shepard, same not triple.

I also had a Chow dumped on me and is the only dog I couldn't get right and had to put down.

The little ankle biters, like Chihuahua, family has had to part ways with several as soon as babies entered the household. Besides that the useless little beasts fall off the bed and break legs and crap. I love dogs but struggle to warm up to most toy breeds.

Best dogs around kids I have personal experience with were/are Rottweiler and my first Boxer. Those dogs would let a stranger child stick their arms down their throats and try to pull their tongue off and just look around for someone to save them. Someone outside the family unit even accidentally threatened the child and those dogs were letting them know to just back way the eff off, or else.

And, both my Rottweiler and my first Boxer did in fact bite some people and I was glad they did in every instance.

- DAA

Last edited:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I've had a pit and a Rottweiler. Family members currently have four Rottweiler.

I have loved them all. But. Major but. If you aren't very fully prepared to put in the hours with these dogs. And I mean many, many hours. You have no business owning one.

Also have family with both German Shepherd and Belgian Malinous. The above goes triple for the Malinous. Shepard, same not triple.

I also had a Chow dumped on me and is the only dog I couldn't get right and had to put down.

The little ankle biters, like Chihuahua, family has had to part ways with several as soon as babies entered the household. Besides that the useless little beasts fall off the bed and break legs and crap. I love dogs but struggle to warm up to most toy breeds.

Best dogs around kids I have personal experience with were/are Rottweiler and my first Boxer. Those dogs would let a stranger child stick their arms down their throats and try to pull their tongue off and just look around for someone to save them. Someone outside the family unit even accidentally threatened the child and those dogs were letting them know to just back way the eff off, or else.

And, both my Rottweiler and my first Boxer did in fact bite some people and I was glad they did in every instance.

- DAA
My BIL who is a vet says the only dog he does not trust is a Chow. As a % of breeds he sees, he has been bitten by more chows at work than any other breed.

My BIL who is married to my younger sister used to work security at IHC in St George and had a Malinious who is now retired and a pet. They keep that dog in a kennel when they have visitors.

Reactions: DAA

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
I agree with a lot of what @Tebbsjeep is saying. I think, like people, a lot of behavior is taught/learned but many breeds have tendencies. I have seen pit bulls that were the best damn dog you could have. I've also seen some that would eat my hand the first chance it got. But a majority of it comes to training. Which very few people actually do enough of. But because of the tendencies present in certain breeds, they require a lot more time with me before they gain my trust vs say a Lab or Golden.

I really like the point made above comparing it to guns. Some dogs just snap. This was my main point with my wife getting our first family dog. This would be the dog we would have while our children are small. I insisted on getting a puppy from someone we new personally because I could know the demeanor of the parents, as well as any abuse/trauma would purely be my fault (My wifes postpartum depression may have been a little rough for the pup. :grimacing:) But now that dog can deal with anything a toddler does to her and I have full confidence in my families safety with that dog around.

I don't care what the "My dog is a rescue" crowd says.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Best dogs around kids I have personal experience with were/are Rottweiler and my first Boxer. Those dogs would let a stranger child stick their arms down their throats and try to pull their tongue off and just look around for someone to save them.
This is how my great Danes were. I never second guessed leaving our boy with them alone.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Wore him out, hope he sleeps all night

View attachment 166353
Ha!!!!

Despite them being absolute and massive knuckleheads, they are awesome companions. Ours is a total wimp about almost everything but from how he sees things, the world belongs to him and his job is to meet everyone and every critter in it.

Ours just turned 10 years old. We just had to have a growth removed from his cheek 6-8 weeks ago. Not sure how long he has with us but we'll enjoy him until his time is up

Congratulations to Amy!!!

Last edited:

Houndoc

Dog behavior, including aggression, is absolutely a mix of genetics and training.
The fact that so many breeds exist and all are good or bad at specific tasks is the result of centuries of selective breeding for personality traits.
Many behavior problems are the result of the wrong breed for the situation.
Training is important for any dog but can't always overcome genetics.

Tebbsjeep

So my boxer scraped her dew claw pretty good slipping on snowy stairs. Will this heal on its own or will it need some sort of surgery?IMG_20240114_114005.jpgIMG_20240114_113952.jpg