Ever wanted to learn guitar? It's not too late.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've promised myself I would REALLY learn guitar for 20 years.

Let's keep this thread going, I need the motivation. I have the guitar, and the time, since the guitar is so portable.

I used to know all the Garth Brooks songs on guitar 20 years ago when I worked at Lagoon. I was in a singing cowboy quartet in Pioneer Village. I can't play any of them now.

sixstringsteve

I have a new game to motivate us to practice.

I'm going to post a song. You have 1 week to learn as much as you can (this is going to take about 1/2 hour a night for beginners). Then post up a video of you playing it. Then we'll rotate who gets to pick the next song. I'll pick a beginner song for beginners, and an intermediate song for those that can already play.

Beginner song: Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day

Actual song: (you can use keepvid.com to download the song and practice along with your ipod.
[video=youtube;Soa3gO7tL-c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Soa3gO7tL-c[/video]

Lesson:
[video=youtube;qOa_qKfyPV4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOa_qKfyPV4[/video]

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Intermediate song: Behind Blue Eyes by The Who
recording:
[video=youtube;BfuWXRZe9yA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfuWXRZe9yA[/video]

Tutorial:
[video=youtube;qGEbBYdlAxo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGEbBYdlAxo&list=UUJgRMHrtQpnhKHdsGiFQRyQ&index=50[/video]

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Did anyone pick up their guitar this weekend?

Well, I saw mine sitting in its case in the corner of my extra room when I went in there to grab something else... does that count? :(

I like your idea of posting suggested songs to play, but I am nowhere near that level of ability. I'll have to follow a few of your instructional links first....

Did anyone pick up their guitar this weekend?

Um...I moved Matt's electric a few inches to clear a path, cleaning out a storage room in the basement on Saturday.

Well, I saw mine sitting in its case in the corner of my extra room when I went in there to grab something else... does that count? :(

I like your idea of posting suggested songs to play, but I am nowhere near that level of ability. I'll have to follow a few of your instructional links first....

^this.

I gotta get on it, but first, gotta get home and play with the kids a bit too. Right now it's workity work work. Oh, and new rims for the X.

zukijames

Marty's lessons are great!

i have no musical talent and now I can play old man by Neal young like a pro ( a really drunk pro with a few broken strings and maybe broken fingers)

sixstringsteve

IF you follow the video for Boulevard of Broken dreams, and slow it down, you'll be able to play most of the song in a week or two. Just spend 30 min a night on it.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Nothing yet, but I'm thinking about it a bunch. That Green Day song should be doable. Just gotta remember to grab my guitar when I leave for work next time. I'm stuck by myself in a sleeper 4 nights a week. Perfect for practice guitar.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
IF you follow the video for Boulevard of Broken dreams, and slow it down, you'll be able to play most of the song in a week or two.

You grossly overestimate my abilities, Steve--to be frank, I don't have any ability. I don't even know where to put my fingers to play any given cord/note/etc. Like I said, I'll start by looking at a few of your suggested training videos.

sixstringsteve

You grossly overestimate my abilities, Steve--to be frank, I don't have any ability. I don't even know where to put my fingers to play any given cord/note/etc. Like I said, I'll start by looking at a few of your suggested training videos.

Trust me, you can do it. Believe in yourself. I've taught over 100 students. 90 of them had never touched a guitar before. The video shows you where to put your fingers. see 0:55 in the green day one, it shows you exactly where to put your fingers. 0-2-2-0-0-0. 0 means the string rings open. 2 means you push on the 2nd fret (or the 2nd box). And even if you don't get that, just copy what his fingers are doing. You won't be able to play it as fast as him, but you can play the chords slowly. Pause the video between each chord and practice it a few times. After a week of doing this for 30 min a night, you'll be able to play the verse of that song.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have a hard time with the tabs, I do better with the chord grids. The visual picture of the chord is faster for me. It seems to mesh better with my 2 months of piano training.

Steve, have you used Chordie? I'd like to see a custom play list of yours.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Get a guitar tuner app for your phone.
Google "G chord guitar"
Pick up or print a chord reference chart.

Also, a camping trip with Steve would get you started if you bring a guitar.

We need a quarterly guitar training class. lol

Last edited: