Ever wanted to learn guitar? It's not too late.

sixstringsteve

Steve, have you used Chordie?

No, I've never used Chordie before. I teach kids tab from day 1, along with chord diagrams. Chordie looks good though, i'll look into it more. The main issue with kids is that they don't know 99% of those songs. They barely know green day or taylor swift. And there aren't many Katy Perry or Justin Beiber songs with guitar in them. However, I will start using chordie for my adult students, thanks for the tip.

I'd like to see a custom play list of yours.

Do you mean a list of songs I teach kids in the 1st year? My favorite music to play is stuff like Radiohead, incubus, RHCP, that stuff.

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
It would be neat if you created a beginner list on Chordie.

Personally, I'm only interested in acoustic guitar. Not sure why.

Most "unplugged" versions of song are very attractive to me. Take Dashboard Confessional "Hands Down" I can't stand the normal version, but I love the acoustic.

sixstringsteve

It would be neat if you created a beginner list on Chordie.

hm... i'll look into it. Each student is so different in their tastes that it's tough to put together a list that every student will like.

Take Dashboard Confessional "Hands Down" I can't stand the normal version, but I love the acoustic.

I typically prefer electric versions of songs, but I'm right there with ya on this one. I think the acoustic version is MUCH better.

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
"creep" acoustic by Radiohead
"Bring him home" from Les Miserables

Uh, that's all I got right now. I'm kind of all over the place in my music taste.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I picked it up about a year and a half ago. My father in law is actually quite good, and now we get together 2x a month to play. I play rhythm, he takes lead (with most songs). I have to admit, it's turned into one of the funnest hobbies I've ever been involved with. I play at home with backing tracks about 5x a week. Guitars rule!

sixstringsteve

Did anyone touch their guitar yesterday? I got about 5 min of practicing in. I'll more than make up for that tonight. Hickey, any progress?

Creep is a great song. It's a bit advanced as a first song, it requires the use of some tricky chords, but we'll get you learning it in the next 6 months.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
can you teach me to do this ?

[video=youtube;rV6SmY04WdE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rV6SmY04WdE[/video]

sixstringsteve

Of course. With enough practice and motivation, I can teach you to play that. The secret to stuff like that is an insanely strong desire, and slowing it WAY down with a metronome. Once you can play it perfectly at a slow speed, you gradually increase the speed. It's tougher for guitarists to play it slow than to play it fast.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Filter - Hey man, nice shot.

Not saying I can play it as intended, but I know the notes :)

[video=youtube;wJXbcVGuK3g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJXbcVGuK3g[/video]

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
awesome. Do you play with a pick or your fingers? Have you ever played bass before?

Right now I'm just playing with my fingers. I started "playing" last year when I acquired the bass, but really haven't devoted a lot of time to it. It's been something I've always wanted to learn, I've been playing the drums since I was about 12. Still not very good though :D